Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
2011 LS3 - Random 2nd to 3rd Gear Lock Out

My car is a mid year 2011 production vehicle. The TR6060 came from the factory with carbon fiber blocker rings so I'm spared the 2nd gear grind issue. I still have notchy gears like everyone else but I can live with that.

The issue I have is that every so often when I shift from 2nd to 3rd under high RPM, it feels like I hit a brick wall when trying to go into 3rd. There is no grind and I can go into any other gear (4th,5th, or 6th) except 3rd until the RPMs come back down.

I cannot reproduce this for the dealer because I can shift at 5,800 RPM all day and it will never happen and then a week later while getting on a highway ramp, POW, brick wall going from 2nd to 3rd. I have tried all different steps but there truly is no pattern at all to this. Because it happens maybe once every 60 days, I can't leave the car at the dealer for them to test drive it to make the condition happen.

I went to a few speed shops in the area and all 3 have told me the same thing. This is a known design flaw issue with these transmissions. It happens on the Challengers and Mustangs as well but not the Viper. They say that the TR6060 in the Viper is a different beast and is built correctly. They went on to say that even if I convince the dealer to replace all the syncros, the issue will still be there.

Hearing the above, the only true fix is to get the trans rebuilt with some serious parts upgrades. This of course is a few thousand dollars and I truly don't feel I should have to resort to this to just be able to drive the car the way it was intended to be driven.

How many others are running into this problem? Has anyone gotten this issue resolved at the dealer?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
There are several others that have this problem. I've seen the condition described in threads about the first to second gear grind issue though.

I also have this problem with my TR6060 and I have asked the dealer about fixing it. They responded as you would expect - they have to reproduce it in order to fix it.

I've read a few transmission threads here that discuss rebuilding these transmissions correctly. I'm just like you and feel that GM/Tremec should deal with this issue. There's no way I'm going to have an aftermarket rebuild done to solve an engineering issue from the factory.

Good luck in solving this and be sure to let us know how it goes.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: Camaro 2SS, Z06 Vette, ATS Turbo
It seems to me that when this problem happends, your trying to shift in third and your transmission is shifting into another gear or shifting into two gears are once, which can also happend and give you no gear grind what so ever. The transmission is designed not shift into two gears at once but who's to say that's not what's happening. I would have to physically be in the vehicle to know exactly what's happening but since that cant happen I'll leave it at that.

2013 Cadillac ATS, Black, 2.0L Turbo, Luxury package, 20" Strada's, Pirelli Pzeros, 5% tint.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, K&N CAI, JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint.

2011 Z06 Corvette Black, LS7, Borla Cat Back, 5% tint.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
My car is a mid year 2011 production vehicle. The TR6060 came from the factory with carbon fiber blocker rings so I'm spared the 2nd gear grind issue. I still have notchy gears like everyone else but I can live with that.

The issue I have is that every so often when I shift from 2nd to 3rd under high RPM, it feels like I hit a brick wall when trying to go into 3rd. There is no grind and I can go into any other gear (4th,5th, or 6th) except 3rd until the RPMs come back down.

I cannot reproduce this for the dealer because I can shift at 5,800 RPM all day and it will never happen and then a week later while getting on a highway ramp, POW, brick wall going from 2nd to 3rd. I have tried all different steps but there truly is no pattern at all to this. Because it happens maybe once every 60 days, I can't leave the car at the dealer for them to test drive it to make the condition happen.

I went to a few speed shops in the area and all 3 have told me the same thing. This is a known design flaw issue with these transmissions. It happens on the Challengers and Mustangs as well but not the Viper. They say that the TR6060 in the Viper is a different beast and is built correctly. They went on to say that even if I convince the dealer to replace all the syncros, the issue will still be there.

Hearing the above, the only true fix is to get the trans rebuilt with some serious parts upgrades. This of course is a few thousand dollars and I truly don't feel I should have to resort to this to just be able to drive the car the way it was intended to be driven.

How many others are running into this problem? Has anyone gotten this issue resolved at the dealer?

Thanks for any help in advance.
I do apologize for your frustration. If you would like, you can private message me your name, VIN, address, best number to contact, and involved dealership. I will be more than happy to look into your concern further.

Thank you,

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Brandon,

There is no dealer involved. Being that I've had GM cars all of my life, I know that unless there is a TSB, recall and/or the dealer can reproduce the issue, there is no sense in going to the dealer. I've been trying to narrow down specific steps to reproduce the problem before I go in for service.

Quote:
It seems to me that when this problem happends, your trying to shift in third and your transmission is shifting into another gear or shifting into two gears are once, which can also happend and give you no gear grind what so ever. The transmission is designed not shift into two gears at once but who's to say that's not what's happening. I would have to physically be in the vehicle to know exactly what's happening but since that cant happen I'll leave it at that.
I did consider that the first time it happened which was the first week I owned the car. However, over time and several lock out conditions I know it's not me. I've been driving performance cars for about 30 years and I've never had an issue shifting. Now that I've driven this car for more than a year I'm very familiar with the gearbox. I know that the problem isn't the person in the driver's seat.

Brandon, do you think I should go to my dealer to have the problem documented even though I am certain they won't be able to reproduce the issue? Does GM have any information on this issue?
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote