Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Gaming Lounge For all the gamers out there - consoles, PC, etc.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Was Lucky enough to Participate in Destiny Alpha Beta....

Have any questions please feel free to ask!

Here is my short review of what I got to play so far...

The Beta that I played was limited to two main missions on earth and competitive pvp with 2 maps. Along with an area known as The Tower. Here you could decrypt any encrypted loot you found, purchase armor and weapons, interact with players, and more.

The game honestly played beautifully. I only encountered one bug throughout the whole time of playing and it was a very minor one. The AI is also FANTASTIC. I love being able to flank the AI and actually get the jump on them, as opposed to them having x-ray vision and being able to follow me through cover at all times. The guns that I encountered had a good variety. If I remember correctly it is split up into three different categories. Primary Weapons, Special Weapons, Heavy Weapons, and I found my self using every type depending on the situation I was in.

When it comes to meeting and seeing other players the game is a bit different. Even though there were tons of people playing I never really saw ALOT on screen at once. While down on earth roaming around and exploring I would see other players at random playing along doing their own missions which was kinda cool cause I could choose to help or do my own thing. When I visited the Tower on the other hand I could see quite a bit more players...but still not a ton. Maybe about 20 at a time would be my guess....but my map on the other hand was littered with player indicators even though I could not see them.

The game can definitely be difficult at times. Couple of players and I went to go tackle the giant scarab looking robot during a mission and got decimated a few times before we finally figured out a good strategy to go with. But even then an error on our part would still result in getting one shotted by the thing lol.

Controls are perfect but you do have about 5-6 other control scheme options to pick from. Your companion robot can be brought up by pushing the touchpad on the ps4 (select on X1 I assume) and from there you can choose to mount your vehicle or go into orbit above the planet, it is also used to show where your next objective is. From what I have seen your vehicle is able to spawn anywhere outside. On the other hand I have NOT been forced off my vehicle when going inside a building. If it fits you can stay on it. It handles exactly how you would think a hover bike would handle...kinda floaty. Choosing the orbit option is your way of exiting the planet so you can figure out where you want to go next. From what I have seen you don't actually get to fly your ship. But you are able to buy new ones to show off to friends. When you're in a party or with other people everyone's ship will show up while you choose a destination. And the loading screen shows everyone flying to said destination.

Competitive pvp (The Crucible) was definitely fun. When it comes to the weapons you can use it is all dependant on what you have picked up while playing the game. As far as how much impact weapons have going against other players(because of how weapon stats are), I believe all weapons were standardized as far as damage goes. Although I am 99% sure it was cause of game rules set for that particular match open to beta. Reason being that it specifically said something along the lines of standardizing weapon damage in the list of rules set for it. With that being said I can only assume that some game rules will be set to allow your armor and weapons to make a bigger impact in a match.

As far as Graphics and sound goes not much more can be said here other than the graphics are absolutely stunning, and the sound is fantastic. Music really helps set the mood and it does so perfectly.
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Thanks for the review! Was this a one time thing or are you still part of it? Did you record any of it so we could see?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Did not record any of it sorry=( It was SUPPOSED to end Sunday but apparently there was a tweet that it would still be open tonight except the Devs started up Expert Mode. No idea what it means but can only assume its for the difficulty. If I am able to get on tonight Ill be sure to post some screenshots and videos
Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Lgndryhr
Camaro for Life

Drives: Nothing.... :-(
Send a message via AIM to Lgndryhr
They are still running it. Expert mode is basically the difficulty and raised levels of enemies. They are running server tests today and have warned that players may lose data today because of the tests they are doing.
Best run: not until after break-in

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

well than awesome. Ill try to get some vids than!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Thanks for the review! Was this a one time thing or are you still part of it? Did you record any of it so we could see?
People are still streaming it if you want to see some game play!

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Destiny
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Lgndryhr
Camaro for Life

So it was fun yesterday on the alpha as it came to a close. Definitely wanting to try more of it before I buy it, but so far my opinion and interest in the game has gone up.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Did you feel like the game was like Halo at times? I have heard a lot of people saying that recently, I have it on pre-order but think I will be changing it to Horizon 2. Might just wait and pick up Destiny in the future, something about all the videos I have seen have been telling me it will not be a game I will really like. I will make that call after the Beta in July though.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
How do you get selected to be in all these Betas? lol
Old 06-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Lgndryhr
Camaro for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Did you feel like the game was like Halo at times? I have heard a lot of people saying that recently, I have it on pre-order but think I will be changing it to Horizon 2. Might just wait and pick up Destiny in the future, something about all the videos I have seen have been telling me it will not be a game I will really like. I will make that call after the Beta in July though.
Like how? It looked like Halo is all really for me. Play the beta and then make your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
How do you get selected to be in all these Betas? lol
It's easy. I get into Beta and Alpha's all the time.

How to hug your camaro