Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Chrome wheel polishing

I'm new to this whole chrome wheel thing LOL. I just bought a set of Weld RTS forged aluminum polished wheels. Although in the pic below they look somewhat decent. I can tell you upon closer inspection they look horrible! What are you guys using to polish your chrome wheels? Spray,wax? I hear it's a multiple step process.

Close inspection

Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
One product comes in mine is the BLACKFINE Fine Cut Aluminum Polish which has fine diminishing abrasives. BLACKFIRE Fine Cut Aluminum Polish is formulated to stick to vertical surfaces to make polishing rims quick and easy.
Word of warning, Please do not use this on plated or anodized metals or on painted or clear coated metals. One question is are these rims clear coated? Please remember do not use on any anodized wheels or on clear coated wheels.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
One product comes in mine is the BLACKFINE Fine Cut Aluminum Polish which has fine diminishing abrasives. BLACKFIRE Fine Cut Aluminum Polish is formulated to stick to vertical surfaces to make polishing rims quick and easy.
Word of warning, Please do not use this on plated or anodized metals or on painted or clear coated metals. One question is are these rims clear coated? Please remember do not use on any anodized wheels or on clear coated wheels.
From what I understand Weld wheels do not have a clear coat. But I'll confirm this with Weld.
Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Once you fine out let us know to find the right solution in bringing the rims back to life.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Are these chrome (as in the title) or aluminum? There is a big difference (actually) huge on how to maintain them.

I am going to assume that they are aluminum. They look aluminum.

Uncoated polished aluminum will oxidize. It will develop a chalky film on it that needs to removed by using a light polish.

So here is the steps I would follow to get your wheels looking great and keep them looking great.

1st- Wash them with a gentle wheel cleaner (aggressive acids can quickly stain wheels) first to remove all the brake dust. I would recommend an oldie but a great product: P21s Wheel Gel

Use a Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush to clean behind the spokes (the barrels of the wheel).

2nd- After rinsing the wheels clean you want dry them thoroughly. Keep in mind that this applies to every time your wash your car or wheels. Water will cause oxidation spots on the wheels. Use a plush microfiber towel and an electric leaf-blower to dry as much as possible. The Master Blaster is an amazing drying tool, in fact a lot of detailers and bike users swear by it to keep their polished aluminum looking great. But it is a big chunk of change.

3rd- Now its time to restore to the shine to the wheels. They don't look too bad but I would set aside a couple of hours to get them up to standard. I would recommend Optimum Metal Polish.

Keep in mind that this isn't a wax, you don't apply, let haze and wipe off. Instead you work it into a section of the wheel at at time, working in tiny over lapping circles until the wheel starts to 'bleed black'. Then wipe off to a high gloss shine. Take your time, put a little passion into it, and you will be rewarded with an amazing shine!

4th- Add some protection to the wheels to help slow oxidation. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant is built around the same base as the award winning paint care products, but with additional acrylic polymers to better bond to metal. Just like waxing paint, this will add an additional layer of gloss and create a protective barrier.

Now your wheels look great and it is just a matter of maintaining them.

Once they are sealed, you will want to wash them with regular car soap and water, rinse thoroughly and dry completely. Add more BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant to the wheels every time you wax your paint (3-6 months) to keep up the protection.

Eventually you will need to use the metal polish again, but with careful upkeep you should be able to go a long time with out additional polishing.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
bmbbl be

Drives: camaro ss 2013-street glide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal 20112SS View Post
From what I understand Weld wheels do not have a clear coat. But I'll confirm this with Weld.
its easy to tell if there coated or not ,,,just rub some aluminum polish on it if it goes black there uncoated...

to polish use billet from mothers and use a 2 rag system one to apply and one to remove ...also its important to apply and remove with microfiber towels as aluminum scratches just looking at it
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote