Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Cobra Kai

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS/RS VR!
CEL after engine cover removal

I removed my engine cover for a few days while I'm having someone paint it for me. In the meantime, a couple of days later, the CEL came on. I spoke to onstar and they told me it was because of too much O2 in the mixture. They didn't know why (blocked fuel line? bad sensor, etc?). Does anyone think it could be related to removing my engine cover? That seems really weird to me but I guess anything's possible? Any help is appreciated!
AAC Concept LED sidemarkers, red strut covers, RPI painted GM strut tower brace, ABL LED Dome light, RPI painted speedo surround & console gauges surround, Gary's Customz bowtie!, Lloyd's custom mats, sequential tails, KMC rockstar wheels!

THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE
Cobra Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
The best thing to do is to take it to your local dealership to run any diagnostics on it. If you would like I can even help set up an appointment for you. Please keep me updated.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Kai View Post
I removed my engine cover for a few days while I'm having someone paint it for me. In the meantime, a couple of days later, the CEL came on. I spoke to onstar and they told me it was because of too much O2 in the mixture. They didn't know why (blocked fuel line? bad sensor, etc?). Does anyone think it could be related to removing my engine cover? That seems really weird to me but I guess anything's possible? Any help is appreciated!
The only way it could be related is if you accidentally messed something up while you were pulling it off. The cover performs no function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
The best thing to do is to take it to your local dealership to run any diagnostics on it. If you would like I can even help set up an appointment for you. Please keep me updated.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
DCC1464
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '11 SS/RS CGM
umm, did you forget to put the oil cap back on. you have to remove the oil cap to remove the engine cover and this would allow excess air not read by the MAF. could be a simple fix with no dealership hassel
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Cobra Kai

you know what? I might not have put it back on!! I'll go check!
AAC Concept LED sidemarkers, red strut covers, RPI painted GM strut tower brace, ABL LED Dome light, RPI painted speedo surround & console gauges surround, Gary's Customz bowtie!, Lloyd's custom mats, sequential tails, KMC rockstar wheels!

Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Cobra Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC1464 View Post
umm, did you forget to put the oil cap back on. you have to remove the oil cap to remove the engine cover and this would allow excess air not read by the MAF. could be a simple fix with no dealership hassel
Ok I give you a lot of credit! Not only did you figure it out 100% but you somehow knew that I'm completely absent minded. I just went out to the lot of my office and looked under the hood and there's no filler cap! I can't believe I did that! Thanks so much

Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
DCC1464
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '11 SS/RS CGM
FTW! glad it was not a major problem
Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
I'm sorry but that is funny as hell. We have all been there with something so simple and stupid. I usually call it my duh! Moment. Glad to hear it wasn't anything major
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote