Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
sb101985

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Yellow w/Black Stripe
Rubbing compound on vinyl

My Camaro has the matte black vinyl stripes, and there is one small spot that has a bit more polish on it than the rest of the vinyl. Its really not very noticeable. In fact, I tried to take a picture to add to this post, but it didn't show up at all. It bothers me though. I tried to put every vinyl protectant I could find on it, but as soon as it dries, that one spot looks shinier than the rest. It's not completely glossy in that spot, just a little more glossy than the rest. I am very tempted to just use some rubbing compound and make all the stripes as glossy as that spot. I have heard that you cannot use rubbing compound on vinyl, and I really wonder why that is. Perhaps someone on this forum could tell me why rubbing compound on vinyl is a no-no. This may be a really dumb question, but I don't know the answer, and I figured this would be the best place to ask.
sb101985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
You could see a number of things, most notably staining and uneven looking patches from the compound. All the vinyl manufactures strongly recommend you not use any abrasives on their products.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Why not gain some uniformity with something like Meguires vinyl conditioner, Adams VRT, or Chemical Guys VRP.

I think you will like the way these products enhance the color of the stripes.
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
sb101985

Certainly I understand that with rubbing compound you can create staining, uneven spots, bun through, swirl marks, etc. on paint and vinyl as well I assume. I suppose this is why manufacturers warn against it, as you have said. I feel however, that if done properly vinyl can likely be buffed out just like pretty much any plastic. I feel pretty confident in my buffing skills, and likely I could buff the vinyl stripes without doing irreparable damage. I believe I will probably try to buff out the stripes as a last resort before replacement if I decide this bothers me enough. I have tried Meguiar's Vinyl Conditioner, and it does help, but only for a short time. Perhaps I will try Adams VRT. I have heard many good things about it on this forum. I thought about buying it before, but didn't want to spend that much money having never seen it in person.

Last edited by sb101985; 05-15-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
David79z28

You could buy a small priced of vinyl from a local sign shop to practice on first.

Let us know how it works out for you and what materials you used to get positive results.

I have avoided it simply due to the warnings.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb101985 View Post
Certainly I understand that with rubbing compound you can create staining, uneven spots, bun through, swirl marks, etc. on paint and vinyl as well I assume. I suppose this is why manufacturers warn against it, as you have said. I feel however, that if done properly vinyl can likely be buffed out just like pretty much any plastic. I feel pretty confident in my buffing skills, and likely I could buff the vinyl stripes without doing irreparable damage. I believe I will probably try to buff out the stripes as a last resort before replacement if I decide this bothers me enough. I have tried Meguiar's Vinyl Conditioner, and it does help, but only for a short time. Perhaps I will try Adams VRT. I have heard many good things about it on this forum. I thought about buying it before, but didn't want to spend that much money having never seen it in person.
If you try be sure to keep us posted on the results.

I get where you're coming from as far as the concept, but clear coat and vinyl are very different materials and respond very differently to abrasives. Vinyl is 'resilient' for lack of a better term so the compound isn't going to act on it in the same manner it would paint.

Again though, as I've not personally tried anything other than very fine grade polishes and stayed as close as I can to manufacture recommended procedures I can't say what might happen if you try.

Good luck with the experiment.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
sb101985

well, I decided that I could try to buff out the stripes on my car. I was a little nervous, but everything came out quite well. I actually think they look quite a bit better than they ever have. I have no difference in gloss, no scratches, swirl marks, etc. They really look quite good in my opinion. All I did was buff the stripes out with a machine buffer on medium speed with a foam pad and 3M rubbing compound. Clean them off, them I used a Machine Glaze on the same speed with a different foam pad and wiped everything off with a clean microfober towel.

This is how they came out.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
David79z28

Looks good. You have more guts than I do!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb101985 View Post
well, I decided that I could try to buff out the stripes on my car. I was a little nervous, but everything came out quite well. I actually think they look quite a bit better than they ever have. I have no difference in gloss, no scratches, swirl marks, etc. They really look quite good in my opinion. All I did was buff the stripes out with a machine buffer on medium speed with a foam pad and 3M rubbing compound. Clean them off, them I used a Machine Glaze on the same speed with a different foam pad and wiped everything off with a clean microfober towel.

This is how they came out.
Those look very good!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote