Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Scott 78
 
Scott 78's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2012
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Elburn Illinois
Posts: 236
V6 Flash Counter

I've done a lot of reading so far and have heard two different sides.
Does anyone know if there is a flash counter on the 2012 V6? I want a tune but I'm not gonna sacrifice my warranty with only 4K on the odometer. Little early for that.
__________________
2012 Camaro
Scott 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
chevy 3
NEcamaro5
 
chevy 3's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 3,837
Check out Vince with Tryfecta he should know.
__________________
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
etmx183

 
etmx183's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS, 04 Turbo Busa
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,036
I only have 1,700 on mine. Waiting for the Trifecta tune to be delivered, already have CAI and 100 shot of nitrous. The dealer will find whatever they need to void a warranty. Enjoy your car, I' having fun with mine. I have been an Automotive Tech for over 30 years and believe me unless they get GM Corporate involved most of the time they just want their warranty pay from corporate and a happy client.
__________________
CAI intake, RX catch can, NYTREX Nitrous,RX Ported Throttle body, APEX air scoop & washer relocation kit,, BMR diff bushings, cradle bushings, driveshaft loop and tunnel brace, trailing arms, toe arms, Hurst Roll control, Flex-a-lite transmission cooler, SOLO HFCs, M/T 20" D/Rs, FTI 3400 stall converter, JacFab ported intake manifold and upper intake isolator (12/13) Solo cat back Mach X system (2/14), SS diff 3.91 gears (11/2013) Weld RT-S 17x10 & 17x5 (4/2014)
TUNING BY: HP Tuners /MATT@FSP
( 1.63 60' / 12.238@107.62 10/25/2013 )
Refusing to grow older, I just go faster.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013
 
sycraft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 2,727
Any internal or performance related warranty claim now requires a copy of the latest flash from the computer to be sent up for review, so yes it will retain information if flashed back to stock, and yes they will flag your warranty.
sycraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
onelapdoc
 
Drives: 2LT/RS coupe M6 IBM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, Tn
Posts: 63
Actually asked my service manager about this today. He said there is a separate dedicated chip that is counting the last 10 flashes. If one is significantly different it is permanently recorded. The only way to delete that is to change the entire Module.....which supposedly GM has to do. He also said he had heard that the onstar system would flag to GM if you Significantly changed the programing on the '12. Truth? Fiction? I don't know
onelapdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners
 
Synerbee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SGM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Anaheim Hills, California
Posts: 5,804
On the LLT they store flash in the TCM. Not sure about LFX

If you are looking for performance I would upgrade to a 1LT/RS. So your speed limiter is 155 and you get the better gearing
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
matt6589
 
matt6589's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synerbee View Post

If you are looking for performance I would upgrade to a 1LT/RS. So your speed limiter is 155 and you get the better gearing
So there is a gearing difference between the LS and the LT? On the GM site it only says the 2LS is different, the 1LS, 1LT and 2LT are all listed at 3.27 ratio

Last edited by matt6589; 05-17-2012 at 09:41 PM.
matt6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 78 View Post
I've done a lot of reading so far and have heard two different sides.
Does anyone know if there is a flash counter on the 2012 V6? I want a tune but I'm not gonna sacrifice my warranty with only 4K on the odometer. Little early for that.
The V6 does not have a flash counter. You can flash back to the stock tune with no issues.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelapdoc View Post
Actually asked my service manager about this today. He said there is a separate dedicated chip that is counting the last 10 flashes. If one is significantly different it is permanently recorded. The only way to delete that is to change the entire Module.....which supposedly GM has to do. He also said he had heard that the onstar system would flag to GM if you Significantly changed the programing on the '12. Truth? Fiction? I don't know
On the V8 yes, that is how the flash counter works. The V6 does not have a flash counter.

Onstar cannot "flag" your car nor can Onstar rat you out to GM/Chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
Any internal or performance related warranty claim now requires a copy of the latest flash from the computer to be sent up for review, so yes it will retain information if flashed back to stock, and yes they will flag your warranty.
see earlier comments about the V6 NOT having a flash counter
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
onelapdoc
 
Drives: 2LT/RS coupe M6 IBM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, Tn
Posts: 63
@Stieger Cool I kinda wondered if I was getting fed some crap.
onelapdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013
 
sycraft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 2,727
It does store it, they will know if flashed back
sycraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Scott 78
 
Scott 78's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2012
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Elburn Illinois
Posts: 236
Well, I suppose maybe a better question then would be if anyone has had their warranty voided?
__________________
2012 Camaro
Scott 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
ericv75247
 
ericv75247's Avatar
 
Drives: Ashen Grey 2012 V6 Stock Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 16
So if you tune a V6 camaro they wont know because there is no flash counter? What about the CVN?
ericv75247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013
 
sycraft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 2,727
General Motors does not support or endorse the use of devices or modifications that, when installed, increase the engine horsepower and torque. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy that prevents any UNAUTHORIZED dealer warranty claim submissions to any remaining warranty coverage, to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed. Refer to the latest version of Bulletin 09-06-04-026 (Gas Engines) or 06-06-01-007 (Duramax™ Diesel Engines) for more information on dealer requirements for calibration verification.

Also remember, the first thing a dealer will do is flash the computer with the latest software for a problem to be sure it is the latest available, so bye bye tune and you would have to reflash.
sycraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
General Motors does not support or endorse the use of devices or modifications that, when installed, increase the engine horsepower and torque. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy that prevents any UNAUTHORIZED dealer warranty claim submissions to any remaining warranty coverage, to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed. Refer to the latest version of Bulletin 09-06-04-026 (Gas Engines) or 06-06-01-007 (Duramax™ Diesel Engines) for more information on dealer requirements for calibration verification.
This is 100% correct. However, the V6 still does NOT have a flash counter.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
malave7567

 
malave7567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 796
from what I've heard, flashing back to stock before going to the dealership would mean you should be fine. You could then re-flash your tune back in when you get the car back. There have been people who have done that with no problems.
__________________
2013 Scion FR-S - current DD, after life circumstances made me get out of a Camaro
2014 Camaro 1LT, Red Rock Metallic, wife's car once we could get a Camaro again
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
xx_ED_xx

 
xx_ED_xx's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Silverado
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Floriduh!
Posts: 1,119
Since I have worked at GM and done flashes which are constantly updated for improvements and to fix minor issues. It all depends on the tech. It is easy to see when you do the flash if it isnt stock etc. The details are listed when you do the flashing of pcm.
__________________
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
nak3dsnake


 
nak3dsnake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
This is 100% correct. However, the V6 still does NOT have a flash counter.
Stieger is right. It has be VERIFIED by Vince at trfiecta that the 2010-2011 Bosch unit DOES NOT HAVE A FLASH COUNTER. Several users on this site have flashed back and had their cars serviced and checked by a dealer with ZERO issues. I have no idea if the new GM LFX control unit has a flash counter, I would lean toward yes.
__________________
Looks: AAC P13W DRLs, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, GM Door Sill Plates, GM Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, LLT Mobile 1 Oil Cap, ZL1 Sport Pedals, 3M Clear Bra.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #19
Jonzmaro
 
Jonzmaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 RS M6
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Potomac Falls VA
Posts: 111
Matt,

I beleive the LS's do have a taller gear, 2:8X, or 2:9X? vs the LT 3:27. Thus, they also have a higher mileage rating.
Jonzmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
BenningJ

 
BenningJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa
Posts: 1,432
2LT has the 2.92 gear while everything else has the 3.27. I know he is not an LFX but I believe SIXJAXX (sp) has been to the dealer to get his engine replaced and the tune was still in. He didn't get flagged.
__________________
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
nak3dsnake


 
nak3dsnake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
2LT has the 2.92 gear while everything else has the 3.27. I know he is not an LFX but I believe SIXJAXX (sp) has been to the dealer to get his engine replaced and the tune was still in. He didn't get flagged.
2LS actually, its also auto only. That's how it gets the 30 highway mpg.
__________________
Looks: AAC P13W DRLs, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, GM Door Sill Plates, GM Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, LLT Mobile 1 Oil Cap, ZL1 Sport Pedals, 3M Clear Bra.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
xx_ED_xx

 
xx_ED_xx's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Silverado
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Floriduh!
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
2LT has the 2.92 gear while everything else has the 3.27. I know he is not an LFX but I believe SIXJAXX (sp) has been to the dealer to get his engine replaced and the tune was still in. He didn't get flagged.
Most aint smart enough to check, especially on a six. That and they are having issues anyhow just replace it and keep on trucking.
__________________
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.