Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Gunnie21
Jarvis

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Mottling

Does any silver car owners have Mottling down the side of their car? just curious, don't know what to do other than repaint
Gunnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnie21 View Post
Does any silver car owners have Mottling down the side of their car? just curious, don't know what to do other than repaint
mottling? though i got silver here with no serious troubles.
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
I have a CGM that, when looked at the right angle, has zebra stripes. It looks like it was painted with up & down strokes and the metallic reflects differently on the alternating strokes.

You can only notice it in daylight, and at just the right angle. I watched a stranger notice one day while looking at the car. I could see him moving back and forth in the light and new exactly what he was looking at. He then asked me if I noticed it and I just replied: "Yeah, it's just not bad enough to risk a re-spary over."

I also have a bunch of, what almost look like dents, or indentions on the tops of my front fenders and rear quarters. Again, you kind of have to look for them. I think those are caused by stress on the chassis...
Parabolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Gunnie21
Jarvis

Mottling is when you have a metallic paint and the mixture just isn't all that good. From a straight point of view it looks fine but when you look at an angle its like there is dark spots.
I work for Toyota Motor manufacturing and i see that problem a lot..when you paint with a metallic paint your supposed to paint in a x pattern not like robots paint in a straight line.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Parabolica
Account Suspended

^I have to admit, I've never heard the term before. So is what I'm describing, mottling?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Gunnie21
Jarvis

the dents and stuff would not be mottling but yes it looks kinda like zebra stripes. Most of the time you have to look at it from a really good angle to see it but since i paint cars for a living so i tend to see it a lot but most Manufacturing plants seem to think its ok
Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/..._Mottling.html
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
I have noticed this issue on a silver camaro on the local dealers lot before. it is very noticeable at the right angles.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnie21 View Post
the dents and stuff would not be mottling but yes it looks kinda like zebra stripes. Most of the time you have to look at it from a really good angle to see it but since i paint cars for a living so i tend to see it a lot but most Manufacturing plants seem to think its ok

Yeah, I knew the dents, or ripples, whatever you wanna call it were off topic, just threw it out there because you know people are going to check their cars after reading this thread. Now they have something else to look for while they're at it..