Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Alamojo

Drives: 2012 RS LT2 (Switchblade Silver)
Cool Paint Issue / Need Some Advice

I am the proud owner of my first Camaro...a 2012 RS 2LT... and lovin' it!

I need some advice... and I thought I'd run it by this Board first. When I purchased my car a couple of months ago... it was during a rainy period. The first opportunity I had to detail it myself was some days later. I noticed a 3 inch square or so blemish on my hood... subtle but not perfect the way I like to do things. I went to a local professional wholesale paint supplier to see if I could buy some compound or anything to help me polish the blemish out.... thinking I had picked something up on the road. The dude told be it was from the factory and under the clear coat. When I went to the dealership, they agreed and then weeks of stalling took place. I was offered to have it taken to a local body shop and have the hood repainted. An honest tech there told me it would never be as good as factory... and would actually diminish the value of the car. Back to the dealership I go... with the idea to have them switch out the hood for a new one. I waited to here from them... but more weeks of stalling. It's been a couple of months now... and they tell me they can't do the switch-out because of serial numbers, etc. So... back to my only choice from the dealership which is to have the hood repainted. I am about to go to an attorney... but would prefer not to have to take that route. Does anyone have a suggestion or solution for me? Thanks!

PS. My first add-on was the Roto-Fab CAI. Very cool! Now I want an exhaust with lots of low end and as much subtle sonic menace as my 6cyl will produce within good taste. Any advice on this as well is welcomed. I am a little overwhelmed by the plethora of opinions. Anyone care to distill?

Sorry this was so long... and may I take this opportunity to say this is very cool Board for info, humor, etc.
Alamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Have the body shop re-paint it. They can match it just fine. If they think they can't...then you need to go to another body shop.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
dkp2LT

Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 GT/CS, '10 Flex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Have the body shop re-paint it. They can match it just fine. If they think they can't...then you need to go to another body shop.
Exactly what I was thinking.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
union894
Let the smoke roll

Drives: 2010 SS camaro 6M 13 Cadillac SRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
union894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Have it painted. Your car diminished in value the second you signed the papers.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Have it repainted by a good body shop.. nobody will know that it was repainted.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, Falken RT7 wheels, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Xorak

Drives: ...
if it's a small blemish that you have to really look for to see, i'd just ignore it. not worth the hassle to get the hood repainted.
Xorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
A good repaint job will look excellent, and diminished value due to that is probably more urban legend than anything else... and EVEN IF it did somehow diminish the value, I can't see it as anything more than $10. Really, Blue Book and NADA and Kelley have a lot of rating criteria, but as far as I know, there's no gig for "one part was repainted perfectly, but was repainted..."

(Urban legend? They always tell coin collectors that it is a CARDINAL SIN to polish coins... it, uh, "diminishes their value." Coin collectors are supposed to leave original patina, never polish or shine coins up. So, I decided to experiment. I took an older silver coin to a dealer. He offered me $2.00 for it. I took it home, used silver polish on it, buffed it up real nice 'n' shiny, went back into the store. Same guy, same day, same coin... I asked him, "How much would you give me for THIS coin?" He offered me $8.00, which I accepted. True story. Point being, diminished value isn't always diminished value...)
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
happycamper

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 AGM
Have it painted. I just had my rear bumper cover repainted and the color match is perfect.

Also, I'm not sure an attorney would take on such a small case.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
The Sandman
Flying Low & Raining 3's

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Ann. Edition
I had a 35th Ann. Mustang GT that had a 6"x4" ding on the rear corner after some idiot backed into me in a parking lot. The body shop match it perfectly. Kept the GT for 13 years and traded it on for a new SS this year. There was absolutely nothing mentioned about diminished value and I got a bit more over blue book for it. Don't worry much about the diminished value.
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
nightshift

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Have it painted. Your car diminished in value the second you signed the papers.
nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Old Goat

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Take the opportunity and have stripes painted and have the dealership cover the difference of having the damage repaired. That's what I did and I'm loving my stripes.
Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #13
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Take the opportunity and have stripes painted and have the dealership cover the difference of having the damage repaired. That's what I did and I'm loving my stripes.
This is what I was going to suggest. If the blemish is located in a spot that could be covered up by a stripe, then consider adding stripes. Stripes would add value to the vehicle.

As far as the dealer telling you he couldn't swap hoods with another Camaro because of "serial numbers", I'd have to call him on that bluff.As far as I know hoods and other body panels don't have serial numbers. I think that was BS he told you because he just didn't want to bother with swapping hoods.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #14
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
They can match it up fine. I had splash guards painted IBM by a local guy, he mixed up a Dupont blend and tell you what, those splash guards and what's under clear bra are the only part of the car not getting chipped.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
l99camaro

Drives: silver
paint issue

Hi my name is chris leal & am shop mgr @ atlas paint & body in san antonio and would be glad to help you out. if you wanted to bring the car by i would be happy to look out you hood & give you options. if needed i could have my paint supplier do a color scan to match the color if needed. we use the top of the line paint spies hecker waterbase paint.
l99camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
dkp2LT

Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 GT/CS, '10 Flex
I like the idea of painting on stripes - you could get a heck of a deal if you only have to pay for the trunk. That would be my first pick if I had the chance.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
Alamojo

Drives: 2012 RS LT2 (Switchblade Silver)
Thank you... everyone! I appreciate the feedback and helpful insights and offers.
Alamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Xorak

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
This is what I was going to suggest. If the blemish is located in a spot that could be covered up by a stripe, then consider adding stripes. Stripes would add value to the vehicle.

As far as the dealer telling you he couldn't swap hoods with another Camaro because of "serial numbers", I'd have to call him on that bluff.As far as I know hoods and other body panels don't have serial numbers. I think that was BS he told you because he just didn't want to bother with swapping hoods.

actually, most body panels do have a VIN tag/sticker on them these days.
Xorak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, exhaust, paint