Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Drives: 2011 Silver 2LT/RS
6x9 question?

hey guys, i just spent the tedious 3 long hours dismantling everything just to install aftermarket 6x9 speakers and I'm sad to say, they just don't sound right...

i rushed at the installation and spliced the wires but I'm afraid i spliced the wrong wires after i found which were the right ones to splice and which were the wrong ones. Could that be one of the reasons that it does not sound as powerful as my old boston acoustics? What else could make it sound so weak? any input is greatly appreciated! thanks a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
My son is in 4th grade and every night he has to read for 20mins. He reads aloud to me Camaro 5, Camaro Performance, Motortrend, RC cars, and etc ever night.
RetroXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Aftermarket Speakers are probably 4 Ohms. I "THINK" the factory are 8?
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
In which case the factory amplifier, if you have one, is pushing out more power to the aftermarket speakers than the BA speakers so that doesn't explain it.

'12 Volkswagen Jetta SE
'12 Chevrolet Camaro
'11 Harley Fat Bob
'11 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L
'05 Mercedes E500 W211
'01 BMW 328xi
'89 Chevrolet Suburban
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Echo is right, a lower resistance shouldn't cause the issue. A higher resistance than the factory speakers could, but I can check the impedance for u. When you say they don't sound "right", what do you feel is not right? Is it the volume levels, clarity, distrortion, etc?
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
The factory speakers are 4Ω, if you have the BA system, the tweeters are also 4Ω. So the non-BA system total impedance is 4Ω and the BA system is 2Ω.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...75&postcount=4
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Are they sealed in the hole nice and tight? The sound can change drastically if there is not a good seal around the edge of the speker/hole. I like to make "gaskets" out of acoustical foam sometimes and then install them nice and tight.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggnFrameGMC View Post
Are they sealed in the hole nice and tight? The sound can change drastically if there is not a good seal around the edge of the speker/hole. I like to make "gaskets" out of acoustical foam sometimes and then install them nice and tight.
Sealed to the plastic trim? Or sealed to the sheet metal?

I have mine sealed at the bottom, but not to the trim.

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
I try and get a perfect seal on both if possible
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
If you are using the factory amplifier, I would bet on one of two things going on here:

1. You have your new 6x9's connected to the BA tweeter channels. This will result in you hearing clear audio (mid-high audio range), but you will not have any low end "oomph". If you have your speakers connected to the woofer channels, you will get "oomph" (bass) when you turn it up, but you will not have clear mid-high range.

2. The factory Boston 6x9's are 2 ohm. The factory rear tweeters are 4 ohm. If you have your new 6x9's connected to the woofer channels, you are only getting 1/2 the power to them (probably around 8-10W). That would make them quite underwhelming. If you have the new 6x9's connected to the tweeter channels, then you're not getting any bass from them which would also make them underwhelming.

I see people on these forums all the time asking "amp or speakers". The answer is really both, but if I had to chose one, it would be amp. I had a tiny little old school Alpine (100W) and it made a huge difference in output and sound (in my opinion). With my method I lost "3" speakers (center channel, rear tweeters), but I gained a lot in terms of clarity and output.

If you are retaining the factory BA amp, I don't know that there is a perfect solution for you. The factory amplifier pushes the 2 rear channels though an internal crossover and outputs 4 channels. It really only gives you an either/or option in terms of rear sound.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
If you are using the factory amplifier, I would bet on one of two things going on here:

1. You have your new 6x9's connected to the BA tweeter channels. This will result in you hearing clear audio (mid-high audio range), but you will not have any low end "oomph". If you have your speakers connected to the woofer channels, you will get "oomph" (bass) when you turn it up, but you will not have clear mid-high range.

2. The factory Boston 6x9's are 2 ohm. The factory rear tweeters are 4 ohm. If you have your new 6x9's connected to the woofer channels, you are only getting 1/2 the power to them (probably around 8-10W). That would make them quite underwhelming. If you have the new 6x9's connected to the tweeter channels, then you're not getting any bass from them which would also make them underwhelming.

I see people on these forums all the time asking "amp or speakers". The answer is really both, but if I had to chose one, it would be amp. I had a tiny little old school Alpine (100W) and it made a huge difference in output and sound (in my opinion). With my method I lost "3" speakers (center channel, rear tweeters), but I gained a lot in terms of clarity and output.

If you are retaining the factory BA amp, I don't know that there is a perfect solution for you. The factory amplifier pushes the 2 rear channels though an internal crossover and outputs 4 channels. It really only gives you an either/or option in terms of rear sound.
+1 to the above.

What kind of 6x9's did you get? What is the RMS of them? You are probably under powering them...
RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Drives: 2011 Silver 2LT/RS
Thank you guys for all the input and focus on this topic....after a weekend of figuring out what the problem could have been, i realized that

1. The factory amp is too weak to power them to the fullest extent
2. i had the wires spliced wrong, i had one high wired to one sub
3. theres a little space between the 6x9 on the edges that need to be sealed.

i got the JL Audio C2-690tx so could i be under powering them like i assumed in point number 1 or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
My son is in 4th grade and every night he has to read for 20mins. He reads aloud to me Camaro 5, Camaro Performance, Motortrend, RC cars, and etc ever night.
RetroXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroXI View Post
Thank you guys for all the input and focus on this topic....after a weekend of figuring out what the problem could have been, i realized that

1. The factory amp is too weak to power them to the fullest extent
2. i had the wires spliced wrong, i had one high wired to one sub
3. theres a little space between the 6x9 on the edges that need to be sealed.

i got the JL Audio C2-690tx so could i be under powering them like i assumed in point number 1 or not?
JL Audio C2-690tx

Continuous Power Handling (RMS)70 W
Peak Music Power225
Recommended RMS Amplifier Power (per Ch.)
15 - 125 W

I believe the stock Boston amp is 9 channels with a total of 245 W, give or take 25 W per channel. Waaaay under powered.
RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrchris View Post
JL Audio C2-690tx

Continuous Power Handling (RMS)70 W
Peak Music Power225
Recommended RMS Amplifier Power (per Ch.)
15 - 125 W

I believe the stock Boston amp is 9 channels with a total of 245 W, give or take 25 W per channel. Waaaay under powered.
Remember to take into account that the "245W" figure is probably peak.....so yeah, really under-powered.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
These guys both have good points. Since the speaker really suggests a minimum of 15 watts, it isn't an ideal speaker to be powered from the factory system. An amp will allow you to see what the speakers can really do.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
Where can i buy rear speaker adapters to plug into the speaker harness to power my Kicker 6x9's? Subthumb doesnt have any and said to ask if any Convertable owners that have a FARK kit have them laying around since the verts dont have rear speakers?

I just dont wanna cut the factory terminal harness
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Why not use T-Taps or wire taps?

Like these

or these

They aren't perfect, but they're better than cutting up the existing wires.