Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
ChrisMikes

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2SS RS
Diablo Void warranty?!?

I have automatic 2010 Camaro ss
Only thing I have in my car is Diablo predator programmer and exhaust
Here's the story: the other day I was driving my car in manual mode, gas peddle to the floor, and when I shifted, it kinda felt like....the clutch was held in too long or.something, I can't explain it, but I'm worried my transmission is going bad, it.only has 17,000 miles

Does anyone know if I can take it to the dealer without them putting a big stamp on my name that ssays WARRANTY VOIDED!!!
if they do say my warranty is voided, does that go out for all dealers or only that one?
ChrisMikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
If you have a drivetrain failure the tech is supposed to check if the ECM has been reflashed. If so, the drivetrain warranty is void and they will attach a note to the VIN. Any dealer you take it to will see that it has been voided.

GM 09-06-04-026A
Old 05-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
If you have a drivetrain failure the tech is supposed to check if the ECM has been reflashed. If so, the drivetrain warranty is void and they will attach a note to the VIN. Any dealer you take it to will see that it has been voided.

GM 09-06-04-026A

It's not up to a dealer, it's up to GM. If your powertrain warranty has been "voided", then your car will be on the black list and all dealers will be able to see it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
ChrisMikes

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2SS RS
Yeah but some dealers just wont check it
ChrisMikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
It's the risk you take
Old 05-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMikes View Post
Yeah but some dealers just wont check it
In order for the dealer to get payment from GM for the warranty repair, they are required to send in a screenshot of the calibration codes to GM to verify that the calibration is factory, and always has been. Since the dealer isn't gonna work for free, GM will find out about the programming. No getting around it.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I'm certain it's standard procedure for the technician to check the ECM for an aftermarket reflash if there is a powertrain issue. I'm also certain GM will automatically void your powertrain warranty if a change is found in the ECM. You gotta pay to play when modifying a new car with a warranty.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Flash is back to stock and try it. I spoke to Diablo about this and they claim the dealer can't tell. Let us know what they say. I could be wrong but I don't think anyone has reported being denied.

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
BlaqWhole

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
OP, PLEASE let us know what happens. Flash it back to stock and take it in and report back on what happens. According to DS, their Trinity and Intune tuners cannot be detected or traced once removed from the ECU. You have a Predator tune so that is a totally different tuner. But I think we'd all be interested in what happens...I'll personally be watching since my Predator tune is arriving on Monday. I wanna know where I will stand officially. Keep us all posted...and good luck.

Esmeralda (03 GT) - UDP, CAI, PP intake manifold/upper plenum/75mm TB, 4.10s, fully rebuilt/upgraded trans w/ Transpak, 2400 stall converter, full O/R exhaust, 04 Cobra tank/dual 255 LPH pumps, Sniper Tune!!

Saving the world...1 hp at a time!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I don't see how it could go undetected. The ECM keeps count of how many times it has been reflashed. If your VIN does not indicate that they (a Chevy service department) did it then you are busted.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
In order for the dealer to get payment from GM for the warranty repair, they are required to send in a screenshot of the calibration codes to GM to verify that the calibration is factory, and always has been. Since the dealer isn't gonna work for free, GM will find out about the programming. No getting around it.
We all need to get paid to survive. GM is going to ask the dealer to verify that money is due by setting a standard for warranty work. That standard includes sending a screenshot of your ECM.

Keep in mind that a bad tune can turn your car into a useless hunk of metal. GM places a warranty on basically everything that makes your car move. Without that computer, there is only a pretty model in your garage, not a working Camaro.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I don't see how it could go undetected. The ECM keeps count of how many times it has been reflashed. If your VIN does not indicate that they (a Chevy service department) did it then you are busted.

Plus the ECU stores the last 10 tunes. Even if you flash back to stock, your previous tune is still stored in the ECU and GM will still be able to see it.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
Fiveg56

Drives: -
VOID
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
ss/rs-matt

Hey OP I notice your from Yorba Linda. Which dealer are you planning on taking it to? Don't take no shit from them, if they say your car has been tuned remember they have to PROVE that a tune caused the damage. If they can't then take them to small claims court.

BTW, I doubt your tranny is bad. Did it throw a code? Have you checked your fluild level? Did this only happen once? If you can't duplicate it then the dealer won't be able to either.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
Hey OP I notice your from Yorba Linda. Which dealer are you planning on taking it to? Don't take no shit from them, if they say your car has been tuned remember they have to PROVE that a tune caused the damage. If they can't then take them to small claims court.
They already have.

Auto makers spent millions of dollars proving that aftermarket adjustments can and do cause unforeseen failures and that it is possible for your tune to cause the damage. In a court of law, with all of this information it then falls upon YOU to prove that their years and millions of dollars spent testing is wrong and that your tune didn't cause the failure. The cost of such a lawsuit if you decide to actually pursue it in a manner to try and win the case WILL easily cost you 2-3 times the cost of the vehicle. Remember there are thousands of cases recorded where individuals tried to sue a car manufacturer for voiding their warranty under the M&M act claiming the same thing. No one has won yet. There are a few members on this very forum that even tried, and guess what? They didn't win either.

And p.s. the dealer isn't the one that makes the decision on if a warranty is void, GM does. If you try to sue a dealer over a voided warranty it will be thrown out because you are suing the wrong people. Also small claims is the wrong court to file such a claim. They don't have this authority, you would have to at least take it to district court.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
ss/rs-matt

http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...wtopic&t=35926

Again, flash it back to stock and take it in.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
ss/rs-matt

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-s...-warranty.html

Here is another thread from the corvette forum. Read post #12. OP, I would do yourself a favor and search all LS related forums and diablos forum and see if you can find any cases of warranty denial. Camaro5 seems to have a hate relationship with Diablosport, I personally feel they are best for the LS engines. They have been the game the longest and know their shit. Don't take my word for it though, google it.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
BlaqWhole

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
They already have.

Auto makers spent millions of dollars proving that aftermarket adjustments can and do cause unforeseen failures and that it is possible for your tune to cause the damage. In a court of law, with all of this information it then falls upon YOU to prove that their years and millions of dollars spent testing is wrong and that your tune didn't cause the failure. The cost of such a lawsuit if you decide to actually pursue it in a manner to try and win the case WILL easily cost you 2-3 times the cost of the vehicle. Remember there are thousands of cases recorded where individuals tried to sue a car manufacturer for voiding their warranty under the M&M act claiming the same thing. No one has won yet. There are a few members on this very forum that even tried, and guess what? They didn't win either.

And p.s. the dealer isn't the one that makes the decision on if a warranty is void, GM does. If you try to sue a dealer over a voided warranty it will be thrown out because you are suing the wrong people. Also small claims is the wrong court to file such a claim. They don't have this authority, you would have to at least take it to district court.
People are throwing superchargers on their cars and making over 500 rwhp with no problems. But a canned tune that adds 10-20 hp has been proven to cause engine/transmission failure?

Esmeralda (03 GT) - UDP, CAI, PP intake manifold/upper plenum/75mm TB, 4.10s, fully rebuilt/upgraded trans w/ Transpak, 2400 stall converter, full O/R exhaust, 04 Cobra tank/dual 255 LPH pumps, Sniper Tune!!

Saving the world...1 hp at a time!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-s...-warranty.html

Here is another thread from the corvette forum. Read post #12. OP, I would do yourself a favor and search all LS related forums and diablos forum and see if you can find any cases of warranty denial. Camaro5 seems to have a hate relationship with Diablosport, I personally feel they are best for the LS engines. They have been the game the longest and know their shit. Don't take my word for it though, google it.
No one ever said we hated them. They left on their own accord and never wanted to have a serious discussion on their claims. I agree their product is great but to claim something that has never been able to be proven....

No reason to make those claims IMO. Their product speaks for itself without the need of that. Trying to cheat the system will ony get you in trouble eventually.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
No one ever said we hated them. They left on their own accord and never wanted to have a serious discussion on their claims. I agree their product is great but to claim something that has never been able to be proven....

No reason to make those claims IMO. Their product speaks for itself without the need of that. Trying to cheat the system will ony get you in trouble eventually.
I'm not trying to stir anything up. I just wanted to give the OP some other sources to look at.

On a side note, is there a chance Diablosport will ever again be an active member of camaro5?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
I'm not trying to stir anything up. I just wanted to give the OP some other sources to look at.

On a side note, is there a chance Diablosport will ever again be an active member of camaro5?
That's a question to ask them, we can't predict what they're going to do
Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
That's a question to ask them, we can't predict what they're going to do
Oh ok, I got the impression they were banned or something.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #23
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
nope. They left on their own accord.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
People are throwing superchargers on their cars and making over 500 rwhp with no problems. But a canned tune that adds 10-20 hp has been proven to cause engine/transmission failure?
Read what I wrote again.

They have shown that any adjustments outside factory specs CAN cause unforeseen failure, not WILL cause.

And I guarantee you people running with super chargers are not problem free like you claim. There are reasons why most people who go this route also beef up the internals, tranny and rear end at the time of installation.

Quote:
No they left voluntarily. If I remember correctly, a member on here had bought one of their so called "stealth tunes" and later had engine problems. When he flashed back to stock and went to the dealer to have it fixed, GM caught the tune and denied the claim. Shortly after that, a challenge was issued by the members of this forum to Diablo and to the couple other vendors who sell "stealth tunes" to prove that their tunes are stealth. After the challenge was issued, Diablo and the other vendors stopped claiming they was stealth and eventually stopped visiting the forums. The challenge still stands and to this day not a single tuner has been able to prove that their tunes are undetectable.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Yep. After the gauntlet was thrown down they all slipped back into the shadows with regard to claiming tunes were not detectable.

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote