Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Arrow What clutch?

What aftermarket clutch options do we have? I'm probably gonna need a replacement so just wondering what others are using and their experience with them.

In or around Savannah GA on the first Sunday of the month? Come meet with us here around 11 am!
mmarx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Minator

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Mcleod clutches and monsters clutches are nice.
Minator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Bizaro
AWWWW YEAHHH!

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
monster clutch best in business
Old 05-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, 2012 Denali HD
I'm still on my stock clutch and I have 745 RWHP. For the price you can't beat the stock clutch. IMHO
1 7/8 ARH, 2.55 upper and 10% overdrive lower pulley, CNC ported and polished heads, ported blower and snout, Nick Williams 102mm TB, Vengeance Racing heat exchanger, D3 res tank, Vengeance Racing Cam, pushrods, springs, Snow methanol injection, Moroso catch can, ID850's, LPE isolator coupling, LS7 timing gear, Melling high volume oil pump, All ARP bolts, etc.....Removed Cats now 745 RWHP + 727 ft-lbs torque
G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
I am going to go with a Monster once the stock clutch goes. I had one in my 02 SS and really liked it.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

2002 Camaro SS M6 #8815 SOLD
First Street Dominator 427ci. built by: Mike @ Rapid Motorsports.
572rwhp 506rwtq through a Strange s60
Spohn Suspension.
LS7 heads touched up by WCCH.
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
dtwolcot2

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I replaced with the stock clutch and did a 125 rwhp pkg so we will see how it holds up. I'm hard on the clutch in my quest for good times and so far it's been holding up great. For $340 can't complain.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
mmarx82

I'm hard on the clutch too, I'm at 34K miles and I'm slipping in the higher gears, hence this thread. Though I know it's considered a wearable part and not covered by warranty the dealership is trying to see if they can get it covered right now. If not then I'm trying to decide what I'm going to go with.

In or around Savannah GA on the first Sunday of the month? Come meet with us here around 11 am!
Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
dtwolcot2

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
I'm hard on the clutch too, I'm at 34K miles and I'm slipping in the higher gears, hence this thread. Though I know it's considered a wearable part and not covered by warranty the dealership is trying to see if they can get it covered right now. If not then I'm trying to decide what I'm going to go with.
Lucky! I got 23k but there were quite a few smokey clutch launches trying different amounts of slip. Im actually surprised it lasted as long as it did as was able to get the flywheel resurfaced. A long time machinist told me he could resurface dual mass flywheels with no problem and all has been good so far. With the ease of replacing the clutch if the new one only last another 23k I'm fine with another stock one even with the recently added power. I did a write up on clutch replacement and found a much easier way of removing the tranny, I can say I can do it myself again on jack stands in a day. Im pro stock clutch because of price and some reported problems with aftermarket.

I thought about seeing if the dealer would replace mine under warranty but didn't like the price tag of $1600 if they deemed it abused. After taking it apart im sure they would have said so.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
white1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
ADM uses Centerforce DYAD.

Cars I built and sold;
94 Z28 385 stroker and D1 SC
99 C5 vert LS7
05 GTO 441 LS7
13 C5 1LE w/ SLP TVS2300
white1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
mmarx82

I appreciate all the input guys. Anybody have anything good/bad to say regarding the Afformentioned clutches?

McLeod
Monster Clutches
Centerforce DYAD
Street Slayer
SPEC (mentioned offline)

@dtwolcot2, who did you go through for resurfacing? and where is that writeup?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
dcarlos55

Drives: 2015 ZL1 #963
I had a Street Slayer in my SS and I was quite happy with it. It's solid as a rock when banging gears just off the rev limiter. My stock clutch lasted less than 30K miles but I abused it a bunch at the track before I learned how much clutch slippage off the line was just right.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
JDP Tyler

Drives: Chevys at the limit
We've been using the Centerforce DYAD; part # 04614847 with great results. It's also much lighter than the OEM clutch.

The OEM warn out ZL1 clutch weighed 64lbs and the Centerforce clutch weighed only 48 lbs!! That's some pretty significant drivetrain weight reduction!

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | Facebook | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
I appreciate all the input guys. Anybody have anything good/bad to say regarding the Afformentioned clutches?

McLeod
Monster Clutches
Centerforce DYAD
Street Slayer
SPEC (mentioned offline)

@dtwolcot2, who did you go through for resurfacing? and where is that writeup?
When I started building my car for power, I looked around(honestly looking for the best deal and knowing little about clutches) and I bought an Act twin disc "rated" for 1400 foot lbs.. We got it, it came with an SFI certification (so it had to be good right??? ) and installed it... It was a virtual on off switch... But knowing as little as I did then I thought you had to sacrifice driveability for performance. After three months or so it was so bad we opted to pull the trans and take a look see... We sent pictures to Act and spoke several times with them. They finally offered a RMA and we sent it in so they could look at it... They tweaked it here and there, but didn't even do minimal cleaning of it( we were told to send it back as is) and sent it back to me... It was installed again and was as bad as if not worse than before...

I started looking in earnest, and did lots and lots of reading... I talked to a few people who I felt knew the game. I decided on the Mantic 9000 clutch as it looked like the best piece out there... I called and spoke to a well respected tuner that at the time was with East Coast Supercharging. They are a vendor for this particular clutch. I had my credit card in hand and was ready to pay up and have it delivered.

This tuner/vendor (Matt now at Florida Speed and Power) asked me some questions about goals, power, etc... And flat told me he could sell me the Mantic but I wouldn't be happy and why... These cars are heavy, and with decent power clutches are just abused with anything more than sedate driving. He told me there was only one clutch out there that would handle the power I'm making(at the time) and that is the Street Slayer Triple. He provided me the number to talk to Thomas, and after the initial sticker shock, and lots of back and forth questions and answers, I ordered a triple disc carbon clutch. We followed the directions to the letter, lapping the discs, making sure to never hang and weight on the discs etc, and installed it... Holy mackerel... Engagement was like stock with a slightly heavier pedal feel... Not much but a little bit... And the clutch handled everything I could throw at it with upwards of 1400 RWHP. I dead hooked it so bad (driver mod needed) I twisted a 300M input shaft on a custom built transmission. And we found out later we also twisted the main shaft so bad we couldn't remove the gears to rebuild the trans. This was from George at Rockland Standard Gear.

We decided to build for more power, I'm now at or just over 2000 RWHP, and when we decided to go that way I spoke with Thomas again. He told me point blank the triple would not handle the power we were looking at, nor the RPM's, as we will be hitting 9,000 RPM's on occasion. So, he made an offer to take the triple, go through it, freshen it up and he would help me sell it, and he told me they made a quad disc for my needs. So we went that route..

I sent the triple in, and it came back looking like brand new. There was no issue with it prior to sending it back, he just wanted to clean it up and check everything. I sold it to a good friend with over 1000 RWHP and he's happy as can be with it.

I recieved my Quad disc and again we followed the instructions and it is an unbelievable clutch. It engages like stock and has a moderate pedal feel, and it will both handle the power and the RPM's we are looking at...

I'm sold and convinced, I will never own another brand of performance clutch in any car of mine. It may be the only part of my driveline I don't worry about. I got premium parts from front to back and still break stuff, but I'm not worried about the clutch...

I highly recommend you call Thomas and talk with him. Ask questions, and rest assured if you buy the Slayer, you are getting the best clutch out there for these cars.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #14
PWRHSEZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 #2419
This is the clutch i will be getting installed over the weekend hopefully! I have been told by a few people that this is a very street able like OEM clutch that can hold all the power you want! We shall see. The guys at Monster Clutch are awesome, and they are great to work with! They will be doing the install as well as a retune since I just put a ported blower and snout on. I will post up my opinions and review once it is all said and done!
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2014 Stingray
I'm on my 5th clutch right now. I don't know anyone else that is pushing over 1000whp through a manual transmission and drag racing the 4200 pound car regularly. Especially running the 3.23 rear that requires a lot more clutch slippage to launch. The only clutch of mine that held up well through the first inspection was the street slayer triple that H-E sells. I since upgraded like Robert (SSE 4 2SS) did to the quad disc slayer.

ADM really likes the Centerforce clutch. I know he has some guys drag racing with them around 700whp and I think they are better than stock. I don't think they are as good as the slayers but the slayers are more expensive.
ADM - 434 ERL block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. LPE pulley upgrades, 1400 injectors. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. 1436 rwhp.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
mmarx82

Awesome information guys and thanks for the personal writeup SSE 4 2SS, this is really what I'm looking for here. H-E I don't take it to the other area because this is the ZL1 only area and I'm trying to get experiences from the people in this group who have jumped from their OEM.

JDP, I could probably afford to lose the other 48lbs personally but that is a nice drop of weight. Also the part number you provide (04614847) doesn't match what is on the centerforce website. Are you sure that is the correct number?

PWRHSEZL1, would love to hear what you think.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
JDP Tyler

Quote:

JDP, I could probably afford to lose the other 48lbs personally but that is a nice drop of weight. Also the part number you provide (04614847) doesn't match what is on the centerforce website. Are you sure that is the correct number?
It's definitely the right part number; same as Summit, and other sites. Sometimes manufacturers give vendors slightly different part numbers for some reason. For example our Roto-Fab part numbers are slightly off from what you'll see on Roto-Fab's website.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | Facebook | 888.308.6007
Old 05-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #18
Centerforce_Clutches

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
It's definitely the right part number; same as Summit, and other sites. Sometimes manufacturers give vendors slightly different part numbers for some reason. For example our Roto-Fab part numbers are slightly off from what you'll see on Roto-Fab's website.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Tyler is on it (as he always is).

Here's a capture from our paper catalog:

Facebook:www.facebook.com/CenterforceClutch
Instagram: Centerforce #GYST
Centerforce_Clutches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 AM   #19
mmarx82

Found out today that GM covered my clutch so I'm gonna have to budget for a new one after another 3 years. I'll keep this thread sub'ed to come back to easily at that time. Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
JDP Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerforce_Clutches View Post
Tyler is on it (as he always is).

Here's a capture from our paper catalog:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007