Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #151
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
This is a decidedly weird issue. Is it a random occurance? Autocorrecting? Only happening to an extremely small minority? WTF
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #152
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Maybe they should immediately recall ALL of our cars, and give us all brand new ones that will be guarantied to NEVER have ANY kind of failure and will ALWAYS be PERFECT for all eternity.
Dont be ridiculous. We just want them to at least acknowledge the problem.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #153
yaniv901

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2SS 1LE
Happened again for the 3rd time

I am at 420 miles right now. It happened again for the third time. I was dropping a friend home. We stepped out of the car and spoke for a few minutes. Got back into car and the annoying "Service Power Steering" error appeared again. I couldn't just wait in her drive-way for 15 minutes, she'd think I was weird. So I called her, stepped in and got myself a beer. Started the car after 15 minutes and the error had gone away.

The dealer couldn't figure it out the last time I took it in and he said "I know its not what you want to hear after spending 40k on a new car, but unfortunately we are unable to find the cause".

This is ridiculous. And its getting really annoying now.

I am trying to remember if there was a pattern. The one thing that was common in all three occurrences was that I did not lock the car. I simply walked away, came back after 5 to 10 minutes, and tried to start the car. Maybe I'll experiment this weekend, and see if I can force the "Power Steering Error" to appear again.
yaniv901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #154
Supersonick

Drives: Camaro ZL1 Inferno Orange
So I called her, stepped in and got myself a beer. Started the car after 15 minutes and the error had gone away.

mmmhhh sound like an excuse to me!

I got the same, toghether with a lot other simptoms..
im my case it was some dirty passt through sealing of front tyre and casue problem to ABS sensor..
at dealer they replace the sensor and seal again better...
no problem since then..
Supersonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #155
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2303
Well, this problem has now found its way to my car too - '13 M6

Was driving and then the steering got heavy and the below message popped up:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372969460.536934.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  120.5 KB

Stopped and started a number of times and didn't go away - then left it for 10 minutes and everything is back to normal.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #156
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
what mileage?
#917 A6. 10.52@131.6 1.55 60' (608/620) 2:13 VIR full. ADM race CAI, ATI/Lingenfelter balancer (10" ring), 90mm TB, ID850s,Rotofab/Lingenfelter intercooler reservoir, Cooler Logic HX, Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers(no cats). M/T 305/35-18 drag radials & M&H 28x4.5" bias skinnies. Toyo Proxes R888 285/35-20, Hawk DTC 70/60, 8.66" ring (508/540). Tuning by Frost at Performance Autosport in Richmond, VA (804) 358-2505
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #157
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
what mileage?
8,500 miles
Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #158
AquaSSRS

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray ZL1
Just got this error on my car this morning when I started it up. I will check it when I get home if it has cleared itself. I'm at 1550 miles.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #159
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I can tell you guys this from having about 5 ECM shutdowns at the racetrack. Cycling the ignition off and on will not reset a problem code, the car needs to be left off for at least 5-10 minutes before it will put the code on hold and let the car run normally. If you really need it to work instantly, you can pop the hood and disconnect the ECM main at the left front of the engine bay, leave it off for 10 seconds and all codes will clear and you can snap it back on and go. If you plan on taking it to the dealer there will be no evidence of a problem left behind if you do that. Good luck to you guys still having problems with this.
ADM - 434 ERL block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. LPE pulley upgrades, 1400 injectors. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. 1436 rwhp.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #160
AquaSSRS

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray ZL1
Well it is now gone. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but we will see.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #161
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaSSRS View Post
Just got this error on my car this morning when I started it up. I will check it when I get home if it has cleared itself. I'm at 1550 miles.
AquaSSRS,

Thanks for your update and please let me know if this happens again. Here to help!

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #162
Ricamaro

Drives: RocketZed Red13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaSSRS View Post
Well it is now gone. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but we will see.

Mine failed and revived a couple of times before complete failure.

It was replaced under warranty.

NOW, I have the achy breaky leaky weepy Brake Fluid Reservoir scheduled for replacement today.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310123
Ricamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #163
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Sorry to hear you guys are still having issues with this........no wonder the stealerships here can't sell anymore ZL's. There's about ten available locally and they've been sitting for a LONG time.
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #164
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedforhire View Post
Sorry to hear you guys are still having issues with this........no wonder the stealerships here can't sell anymore ZL's. There's about ten available locally and they've been sitting for a LONG time.

You know that WARRANTY ISSUES have nothing at all to do with buying a ZL1! If they aren't selling there are two reasons. The first issue is some dealers are greedy and refuse to "become flexible on the out the door price". The second and more important issue is the financial status. Serious buyers come in pre qualified and ready to buy! Gives you a lot more leverage at negotiating an actual "out the door price" and avoids the "numbers game"!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #165
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Having just logged 4000 miles in past 5 days , when I turn the steering wheel to the left or right , I hear a distinctive sound like a faint HUM noise, but noticible !

I assume its a rack and pinion issue ?
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #166
thespymaster

This noise I'm reporting , seems come on between switching from sport to tour mode
Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #167
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Having just logged 4000 miles in past 5 days , when I turn the steering wheel to the left or right , I hear a distinctive sound like a faint HUM noise, but noticible !

I assume its a rack and pinion issue ?
Oh no!

Feel free to send me a private message and we can take the necessary steps to get this inspected.

Regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #168
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
AquaSSRS,

Thanks for your update and please let me know if this happens again. Here to help!

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
so just exactly what can or are you going to do about this issue? we've seen posts like yours many, many, many times over as if the same post is just copied/pasted regardless of what the issue is.

sorry to be so abrupt but it seems like forum members like yourself that are suppose to be here to actually "help" are doing nothing more than making a presence on the forum. just once would I like to hear from someone that actually got something accomplished by posters like yourself.

my $$$ is being bet on nothing will happen about this particular power steering problem until GM is hit with a massive lawsuit from a victim that either suffers from severe injury or worse yet death.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #169
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
What I'd like to see would be a moratorium on the fuel mileage benefits of EPAS until they get this whole business straightened out and truly ready for prime time. IOW, either no credit given for the fraction of a mpg that EPAS is worth or an assignment of the same amount as a credit for hydraulic PAS.

Reliability of the vehicle controls absolutely must trump a tiny mpg benefit.

The current Mustang's EPAS is not without a problem or two of its own, so EPAS difficulties are wider than just Camaro or just Chevy.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #170
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Is there a common cause across all ZL1s for the power steering failure? Does it occur on other model Camaro's as well?
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #171
oldfriend

Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv901 View Post
I am at 420 miles right now. It happened again for the third time. I was dropping a friend home. We stepped out of the car and spoke for a few minutes. Got back into car and the annoying "Service Power Steering" error appeared again. I couldn't just wait in her drive-way for 15 minutes, she'd think I was weird. So I called her, stepped in and got myself a beer. Started the car after 15 minutes and the error had gone away.

The dealer couldn't figure it out the last time I took it in and he said "I know its not what you want to hear after spending 40k on a new car, but unfortunately we are unable to find the cause".

This is ridiculous. And its getting really annoying now.

I am trying to remember if there was a pattern. The one thing that was common in all three occurrences was that I did not lock the car. I simply walked away, came back after 5 to 10 minutes, and tried to start the car. Maybe I'll experiment this weekend, and see if I can force the "Power Steering Error" to appear again.
Apparenctly the remedy is , you move in with your ( friend ) have a beer every time you intend to drive the ZL1 and no more problems !!!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #172
thespymaster

I've been able to re-crate my power steering issue on a ride from Jacksonville to Georgia today.... First playing between Tour and Sport on suspension, nadda....... Then when I put car into SPORT MODE and switch between PTM's , the noise returns upfront when turning either direction.....

Which makes some sense, as it's my understanding, depending on which PTM mode one is in, the electronic steering is supposed to make the steering feel tighter?

However the noise is not supposed to be present!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #173
Outwestjim

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
I have an update on my power steering unit error:
While I had not had a P.S. problem recently, I did start getting a "Service Suspension System" alert nearly every day. The error would resolve itself after a while. Took it to the dealer today, they found the front connector to the power steering unit was not pushed in all the way (not fully seated). There was a piece of plastic from the latch inside the connection, preventing it from going in all the way. Since fixing this, I've experienced no more errors. The mechanic mentioned much of the ECM communication goes through the P.S. unit and was likely the cause of the suspension errors (which were caused by an intermittent lack of communication).
Hope this helps someone with a similar issue.
Outwestjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #174
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
This happened to me today!.. twice. . First time I turned around and came home. I was going to drop wife off then go to dealership and then poof.. got home, shut it down for maybe 2 minutes and it was fine..

what is the fix for this when the car goes in? If they replace my ecm I will need to reflash it before the car could even be tested

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #175
white ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #7922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwestjim View Post
I have an update on my power steering unit error:
While I had not had a P.S. problem recently, I did start getting a "Service Suspension System" alert nearly every day. The error would resolve itself after a while. Took it to the dealer today, they found the front connector to the power steering unit was not pushed in all the way (not fully seated). There was a piece of plastic from the latch inside the connection, preventing it from going in all the way. Since fixing this, I've experienced no more errors. The mechanic mentioned much of the ECM communication goes through the P.S. unit and was likely the cause of the suspension errors (which were caused by an intermittent lack of communication).
Hope this helps someone with a similar issue.
Please tell me that someone has some pics of said connector?
Sounds like something that we should be able to check out at home in the garage rather than taking it to the dealership?

2013 ZL1 #7922
ADM CAI, 90mm tb, 9.55 lower, LS9 cam, FIC 95s, SW headers, Ron Davis hx
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote