Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #120
tmandoug1
Deep Sea
 
tmandoug1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Almost sounds like a loose ground wire.
Agree, when something doesn't work and you jiggle it and it does, 99 times out of a 100 it is loose wiring.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #121
ZL1Dave
 
ZL1Dave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phila. Pa
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
this system is completely electrical. Meaning power and ground. So it is just different to troubleshoot. mine has been not had any issue to have to look at yet.

this is the second story I have seen where a simple mod has disrupted the electroics cause the steering to be intermitten. the other was power cable just not being completely tight.

So some of these things are not GM's fault at all. When I did my CAI I purposely left my ground right in the factroy location. It looks nicer relocated but if you ground path is not good enough issues will pop up.
Can I ask what CAI kit you have and what you did to retain the factory ground location?
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #122
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,968
I have the rotofab.

on the rotofab they actaully tell you to just re-route and put in the factory location but the cable is tad short to put the retainer for the wire back to stock by the power distribution blk.

so poeople relocate it on there own. I almost did because it would look cleaner. I have worked in electronics I knew I would have to get a good ground and just said f' it and put it in the stock location out of being lazy at that time.
__________________
2015 Hellcat
2013 ZL1 -sold
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #123
Donovanl1685
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: santa clarita, CA
Posts: 35
Well add me to the list, mine has 1800 miles on it and did it for the 2nd time, this time I wasn't as lucky.. I was driving in a parking lot going between 5-10 mph made a left hand turn and the steering went. I ran over a curb knocking the crap out of my alignment and scared my rear wheel pretty bad. I started the car it felt like a million times and finally my steering returned.. I took it to the dealer this morning and they are keeping it over the weekend so they put me up in a rental... The thing that bothers me is of course when I took it in, it's not doing the problem.. I understand that things happen, especially to first year cars.. I just hope Chevy takes care of my car.. It's frustrating as this is my baby... Kinda at a loss.

I don't really feel unsafe driving it, all though when I drove it there this morning it was in the back of my head that what if it goes out.. Or even what if there would have been a person on the curb?? It's really un-safe.
Donovanl1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #124
Whos_Drivin
Ski-U-Mah
 
Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '13 Silverado Z71
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanl1685 View Post
Well add me to the list, mine has 1800 miles on it and did it for the 2nd time, this time I wasn't as lucky.. I was driving in a parking lot going between 5-10 mph made a left hand turn and the steering went. I ran over a curb knocking the crap out of my alignment and scared my rear wheel pretty bad. I started the car it felt like a million times and finally my steering returned.. I took it to the dealer this morning and they are keeping it over the weekend so they put me up in a rental... The thing that bothers me is of course when I took it in, it's not doing the problem.. I understand that things happen, especially to first year cars.. I just hope Chevy takes care of my car.. It's frustrating as this is my baby... Kinda at a loss.

I don't really feel unsafe driving it, all though when I drove it there this morning it was in the back of my head that what if it goes out.. Or even what if there would have been a person on the curb?? It's really un-safe.
Out of curiosity, do you have any mods? I'm wondering of this is happening to 100% stock cars too.
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #125
dcosta
 
dcosta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss/rs camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: peoria,az
Posts: 157
No Mods!!!

I have lost p/s twice and I only have 600 miles on the car..
Not sure that this is fixed by just a ground but who knows.
We will see if it does it again.
No mods have been done and have checked and rechecked all grounds and connections.
__________________

DCosta9
dcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #126
Donovanl1685
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: santa clarita, CA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have any mods? I'm wondering of this is happening to 100% stock cars too.
It's stock
Donovanl1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #127
dcosta
 
dcosta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss/rs camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: peoria,az
Posts: 157
No Power Steering Once Again!!!!!

Well This kinda of sucks!!!
Checked all grounds and all is good and still no power steering!!!!
Still Love this car but man what a Pain.
Once it starts working you never know when it is going to stop working.
They say when this message comes up it stores a code.
Just need to take it in and see.
Attached Images
 
__________________

DCosta9
dcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #128
mattammo
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6
So here is my latest on my vert and it’s PS issues:

The dealer and GM have admitted there is an issue with the control module on the power steering assembly (as in the earlier posts). It was causing the main ECM to have communication issues with other elements on the car. The part is on the way, if they can get it out of the rationing that is going on. The service manager said they have redesigned the part as they are seeing issues with the current design.

Hope to have the car back in time for the nice weather coming this next week!!!

Mattammo
mattammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #129
Donovanl1685
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: santa clarita, CA
Posts: 35
Well its been two weeks since my car locked up for the 2nd time and I scraped my wheel, I am honestly having regrets ever buying the car due the poor service I am being treated like... First I have called my service writer 3 times this week without getting any phone calls back then I have had to talk to GM about safety concerns and they said they cant do a thing to it until the area supervisor returns their call, its been over a week since they called him and he wont return the call, I was told there is a new part out there that can fix it but it has a restriction on it for the install because it is an expensive part. I have been nothing but cool with them but honestly I am starting to get really upset.. I just want my car fixed, I am making car payment to drive a really junky rental car.. I have never seen such bad service that someone wont call back... sorry about the venting, its just really frustrating.
Donovanl1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #130
ZL1Dave
 
ZL1Dave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phila. Pa
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanl1685 View Post
Well its been two weeks since my car locked up for the 2nd time and I scraped my wheel, I am honestly having regrets ever buying the car due the poor service I am being treated like... First I have called my service writer 3 times this week without getting any phone calls back then I have had to talk to GM about safety concerns and they said they cant do a thing to it until the area supervisor returns their call, its been over a week since they called him and he wont return the call, I was told there is a new part out there that can fix it but it has a restriction on it for the install because it is an expensive part. I have been nothing but cool with them but honestly I am starting to get really upset.. I just want my car fixed, I am making car payment to drive a really junky rental car.. I have never seen such bad service that someone wont call back... sorry about the venting, its just really frustrating.
That's total BS dude that they are not all over this issue for you. Thats a scary and dangerous problem to be dealing with. I have been following this closely since I also have a '12 and have some steering paranoia from all these similar stories of failure I've read. Hope it works out for you asap. I'd be calling the 800 chevy number everyday raising hell so your clearly more patience than I would be. Please lets us know the outcome
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #131
mattammo
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6
Just found out that my part arrived at the dealership this morning. Going to do the install, test drive it, perform a couple of cold start, and then it is all mine again. My service department has been more than professional, given me updates almost daily, and understand my frustration. I also understand that there hands were tied by the factory.

I was told that the restriction on the part has nothing to do with cost, it is on allocation restriction because of production cars. My guess is that it is going in the new C7/SS/Etc. and they need everyone they can get there hands on.

Will post an update after I get the car back!

Matt
mattammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #132
jbotta

 
jbotta's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dyer, IN
Posts: 1,120
What part do they have to change, yes let us know how she drives. Hope now your all good.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #133
mattammo
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6
My understanding is that they are replacing the entire power steering unit.

Matt
mattammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #134
rprwd
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1
2013 ZL1power steering failure

2 months after a bought my 2013 the steering failed on a left turn. Had to be towed to dealer. Parts replaced and a few months later it happened again making a left turn. Their computers couldn't figure out what caused it this time around.
rprwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #135
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,302
GM needs to do a major recall on this problem that is obviously well known. I'm a paraplegic that drives a ZL1. The thought of the PS going out and quite possibly causing me to have an accident due to my very limited upper body strength scares me to death.

They (as in GM) better pray this doesn't happen to me. There are all kinds of high dollar lawyers in my area that would love to take on a highly probable lawsuit like this.
__________________
bumblebeecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #136
KKreme15

 
KKreme15's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dayton, MD
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
GM needs to do a major recall on this problem that is obviously well known. I'm a paraplegic that drives a ZL1. The thought of the PS going out and quite possibly causing me to have an accident due to my very limited upper body strength scares me to death.

They (as in GM) better pray this doesn't happen to me. There are all kinds of high dollar lawyers in my area that would love to take on a highly probable lawsuit like this.
GM better be listening
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.