Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
IBMCamaro504

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT IBM
Send a message via Skype™ to IBMCamaro504
New Paint Problem?

Ok so after the hail storms/tornadoes in Texas earlier last month, my Camaro was so bad that I had to get a lot of body parts replaced. majority of the car was repainted but problem is the kinda dull look of the paint, it's not like it was when I bought it (2012, 5 months old) with that mirror finish and how water just "sticks" to the paint. What i'm trying to find out if the car just needs to be buffed and/or waxed. These are pics of the water "sticking" to the car. When I picked my car up the repair shop guy told me after a month it'll go back to normal but after seeing how water sticks to it, i can't believe that.
Attached Images

IBMCamaro504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
looks like it needs to be waxed, but it wouldnt hurt to polish it as well!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
IBMCamaro504

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. But The service guy at the dealership told me to wait a month then I'll wax and polish it (though i'm a newbie at it lol)
Old 05-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMCamaro504 View Post
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. But The service guy at the dealership told me to wait a month then I'll wax and polish it (though i'm a newbie at it lol)
yes you want to give the paint and clear coat a little time to "cure" i believe
Old 05-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Wax isn't going to be the solution for what you have there.

You'll need to clay and probably polish to be rid of that, and honestly I'd do it sooner rather than later as fresh paint will be susceptible to damage having mineral contamination sitting for long like that.

The only process(s) you need to avoid with fresh paint are sealants and waxes... you can clean, clay, and polish a fresh paint job without issue.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
IBMCamaro504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Wax isn't going to be the solution for what you have there.

You'll need to clay and probably polish to be rid of that, and honestly I'd do it sooner rather than later as fresh paint will be susceptible to damage having mineral contamination sitting for long like that.

The only process(s) you need to avoid with fresh paint are sealants and waxes... you can clean, clay, and polish a fresh paint job without issue.
THAT I didn't know. I'll probably try to take it to a place that specializes in polishing and claying since I have know skills in that area, thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
THAT I didn't know. I'll probably try to take it to a place that specializes in polishing and claying since I have know skills in that area, thanks.
Or..... you can PM me. I live in Dallas and I'd teach you how to do it all, no charge. Much better than paying somebody to do it and still not knowing how to do it.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Can't beat an offer like that!
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I can vouch for Matt's car as I see it during his "East Lansing Summers"
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Or..... you can PM me. I live in Dallas and I'd teach you how to do it all, no charge. Much better than paying somebody to do it and still not knowing how to do it.
2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
You will probably get better than the average job done with him!!!!
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Lol, thanks guys. It'll also give me an excuse to use all this new stuff I just ordered from Autopia. I hope Todd knows what he's talking about
Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Typically paint jobs from Bodyshops/ Dealers will need time to cure. GM and other manufacturers have UV lights that cure the paint. Body shops almost typically do not.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Once you remove those water spots, continue waiting till after 30 days and use Meguiar’s #80 Speed Glaze for the time. Once you pass that 45-90 day mark then your ready for using a LSP product.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
IBMCamaro504

Quote:
I will definitely have to take you up on that offer when I get some free time from work. Yeah those water spots are REALLY irritating especially since in my friend's apartments the sprinklers are always on in the morning UGH!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
Matmobl88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Looks like that has the potential for etching to me. Fix it ASAP or you'll be sorry. No wax, you need to clay and polish... Maybe even use Adam's SHR because that wants some love
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
IBMCamaro504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matmobl88 View Post
Looks like that has the potential for etching to me. Fix it ASAP or you'll be sorry. No wax, you need to clay and polish... Maybe even use Adam's SHR because that wants some love
Yeah I'm gonna try to do it soon as possible. It sucks cause it was repaired (hail damage) at a Chevrolet dealership ugh!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:

Thats an old wives tale that body shops still tell people because they don't want you to wax it right after they paint it because if you don't use the right wax or don't do it right you may screw up the new paint job. With todays clear coats thats total BS. once the paint is dry you can sand the clear and buff, then polish and then wax.

Basically what you have is fresh paint that hasn't been waxed and its allowing all kinds of dirt deposits to get embedded in the clear coat. you need to clay , polish , and wax like the others said.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
Matmobl88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna try to do it soon as possible. It sucks cause it was repaired (hail damage) at a Chevrolet dealership ugh!
I had some etching that I had to correct. It takes a little bit more time than just swirls and depending on how deep they are, you may have to use the green pad with green polish, but it can certainly be corrected without some expensive detailer price tag. Of course when you are done, give her the sealant she needs. That will help prevent any etching in the future. BTW, I took mine to my local detailer once, I was very disappointed with how my baby was brought back to me.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:

We will match your generosity! ]Let us know if we can donate some products to help out!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
I will definitely have to take you up on that offer when I get some free time from work. Yeah those water spots are REALLY irritating especially since in my friend's apartments the sprinklers are always on in the morning UGH!
Okay, no matter what wax or sealant you put on the paint, you are going to want to avoid sprinkler water like the plague. You need to wash your paint ASAP!

Most sprinkler water is loaded with minerals that are going to damage your paint. The minerals (particularly the magnesium and calcium) in the water are going to start etching (eating!) into your clear coat quickly!!!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Yeah dude, if you've got artificial water sources (i.e. sprinklers) spraying allover paint without an LSP on it, you're going to get some mean water spots. Pretty much all of us can already tell that abrasives are required to get rid of those. After that, I'd avoid artificial water as much as you can and when you wash the car, make sure ALL the water is dried off. Once you get a sealant or wax on there, you have a little bit more leeway, but still be wary.