Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
CarbonKing

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro
Help with full detail?

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this site and I need some advise with washing my car. I know that there is most likely a thread exactly like this, but I honestly don't have time to search the forums for hours to find the answers to half of my questions. I was just wondering what you guys suggest to use for cleaning my car, such as: specific soap, certain brushes to clean rims and exhaust tips, the best window cleaner, best washer fluid, and the most efficient wax. Also, what can I use to clean my windows from the inside without messing up my tint? I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I'm only sixteen years old and still new to maintaining my car. Thanks for any help you can provide!
CarbonKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Stinkpickle

Drives: Black 2LT/RS
Welcome to the site!

Unfortunately, if you don't have time to search for proper techniques, then you probably don't have time to properly maintain the car. There's endless amounts of information out there, please at least attempt to search for some of it...

Here's some great How-Tos and videos to get you started.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

Good luck!
Stinkpickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
What in God's name is an "efficient wax"?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
op, It's not the tools as much as it the technique you use with those tools. If you're 16, trust me, you have time to do some research. (no offense)

In addition to the already recommended links, also review autogeek.net in the tips and tricks section.

Here is a basic list of things you should focus on and in this order:

Washing
Claying
Polishing
Protecting (sealant)
Shine (Glaze and then Wax - which is additional protection)

As far as the tools you use to in each, there are some "must have's" but take your time and do some research. It'll be time well spent.

Enjoy the passion, but be patient.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
CarbonKing

Thank you for all of the HELPFUL replies. Sorry to make myself look as an incompetent child, but even at my age you tend to be pretty busy if you aspire for high goals. To the first poster, my point on not having time to search the forum was in the manner that I do not want to stay occupied with this for too long and figured that you could give some quick tips. As you can see, I'm not too car savvy. Keep in mind that this is my first car and the first car that I have ever cared to maintain. Thanks for the help that was provided though.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Welcome Fellow Oklahoman. Try Adamspolishes.com. Their products are awesome! IF you ever need help or have any question just shoot me a pm.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
cam fan

Drives: fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
What in God's name is an "efficient wax"?
LOL

to OP - if you can, please take it all 1 step at a time & learn the techniques for good work

I would start with mastering the 2 bucket wash. Seems stupid but actually you'll tend to screw this up by habit of washing cars like a regular person lol.

Wash the rims/tires 1st with it's own wash soap and water FIRST. I also do the exhaust/diffuser at this time.

Have 2 buckets - 1 with clean water, a 2nd with soapy sudsy water.

Have 2 wash mitts - both in sudsy water (one is for top of car, other for door handle down)

Work from top to bottom of the car.

Get as much soapy and water into your mitt as possible and press only enough to get dirt off.

BEFORE dipping back in for more soap, wash that mitt in the clean water...get it clean and then get more soapy water for the next area you will clean.

Wash off soapy car with hose water (spray/jet nozzle or if you have no nozzle, put thumb over portion of hose tip)

Then, let flowing water fall over the top of the car for "sheet rinsing"

Finally, use an electric leaf blow to get the rest of the water off.

---

That process served me well in the beginning, till I moved onto a more pro technique
Old 05-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Here is a great write up on this great subject.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223949
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
CarbonKing

Thanks for the help guys. I was finally given some useful answers. I actually got my car nice and clean today so I can get subs put in tomorrow. Once again, thank you all.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #10
Guzaku

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
question for you though! Why does a 16 year old own a 2012 SS?
Guzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
CarbonKing

I have a special needs brother and it has taken a toll on my whole family. It was my parents way of repaying me for how I've handled the situation over the past 5 years.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
CarbonKing

By the way Guzaku, from seeing your avatar photo, that's a sick looking Camaro!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzaku View Post
question for you though! Why does a 16 year old own a 2012 SS?
Come on guys hes only 16 - don't you remember being in high school?? Its all about being SPOON fed the answers now a days. haha.

Your parents bought you a 2010 SS Camaro just like that?? at the age of 16?? Not trying to sound negative or mean here - maybe I speak from a stance of having to have worked super hard for everything I own, but jeez they must be ****ing loaded eh? Everyone I knew at the age of 16 was driving rusty old honda's from the 89 -91 era.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Hey CarbonKing, welcome to the Camaro family. I think it's commendable that you want to keep your Camaro looking great so I'll direct you to the Junkmans video series that helped me learn how to take better care of my Camaro. http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/ma...shing/2386.htm
You'll get a lot of crap from people for being 16 and owning an SS but I think you're different, and with a special needs family member you've had to take on more responsiblity than many of our adult members have had thrust at them.
Need help or advice I'm happy to be there for you.
Some pictures now are in order

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
Come on guys hes only 16 - don't you remember being in high school?? Its all about being SPOON fed the answers now a days. haha.

Your parents bought you a 2010 SS Camaro just like that?? at the age of 16?? Not trying to sound negative or mean here - maybe I speak from a stance of having to have worked super hard for everything I own, but jeez they must be ****ing loaded eh? Everyone I knew at the age of 16 was driving rusty old honda's from the 89 -91 era.
If I could step back to 16 years old and Dad threw me the keys to a Camaro, you can bet I'd take it too. Wouldn't even blink. Probably have to scrape my jaw off the ground as well.

Hang in there OP, lots of good info on this site!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post

Give the kid a break.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
OP, I hope the following video I created helps you out:

A foam gun is essential when caring for your car's paint, as it lubricates the dirt particles and makes them "slide off" instead of grinding the paint and then coming off.

Foam gun = highly recommended tool
Old 05-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
redirish

Drives: 2SS/RS/M6/IOM/IOM/WHTRALLY
500ml of soap? I use 2 oz of Adams in my foam gun and I lots of suds.
Vortech V3 Polished Supercharger Kit, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch,DSS 1000HP Axles, Jannetty 4:10 Rear with Posi Mod,MGW Short Shifter with White Retro Knob, Race Ready Exhaust Cutouts, BMR Trailing Arms, Separate Clutch Reservoir, Tick Clutch Line, Tick Clutch Bleeder, ZL1 Pedal Covers
BUILT BY IDEAL GARAGE TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING 1/8 Mile 8.64@75.28 1/4 Mile 12.94@107.61 BoneStock Best time on DR's 11.60@124MPH
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
500ml of soap? I use 2 oz of Adams in my foam gun and I lots of suds.
Haven't updated the video, but yeah, I don't use that much soap anymore. Besides, I have an "unlimited" supply of soap
Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
Guzaku

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonKing View Post
By the way Guzaku, from seeing your avatar photo, that's a sick looking Camaro!

http://ink361.com/#/users/10080930/photos

might be a few more of her on my instagram if not hit me up for some more pics. She's also about to get a new front fascia and new wheels with some pretty new fogs to top it all off!
Guzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
CarbonKing

Hey thank all you guys for the support with this. Yes, I already take a lot for being 16 years old and owning an SS Camaro. I would specifically name each person who has actually been kind or helpful in this thread, but that number has reached a far greater amount than the ones that have dissed me. I've taken all of your advice into account and plan to research more and more in my spare time. It seems that there is always more information to know about cars each day. So thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
Bcarr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
Carbon

First of all, congrats on your Camaro! My first car was a 68 Firebird and later I had a 67 Camaro RS/SS. I can tell you from my brief experience on this forum that most of the guys and gsls (dont want to forget them) are great! I've been in the automotive business for 23 years and still learn something new here every day!

With that said, there are still a lot of egos on here. Just ignore them is my advice. If they don't have time or don't want to reply they should simply go to the next thread.

Kudos to you for taking care of your brother and I am sure your gift is well deserved!

Enjoy the Camaro!
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
Matic

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
Yikes. WTF people. Who cares how old he is. Most young kids who get thrown the keys to nice new cars dont even appreciate them enough to want to keep them in pristine conditionby getting a detail, let alone seek out advice on how they can do it themselves.

Carbon, congrats on your new ride. There is a guy on this site, Junkman, who has youtube videos that should be a start in the right direction for you. His youtube handle is junkman2000, put that in a search and check out the videos.
Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
CarbonKing

Thank you, I just received that same information from another poster on this forum. I've watched his videos and already learned a ton of information. Also, thank your for the back up haha. Sick Camaro too!