Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Noviathan

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Camaro Coupe
Factory Amp & Subwoofers

Hey guys, I just bought my first car ever a 2012 2LT RS Camaro coupe and I am loving it. Everything is good but I just have a few questions about the sound. I have the BA premium sound system package and I was wondering if I can just use that factory amp to hookup subwoofers to. I plan on getting a subwoofer from subthump. How bad would the sound be if I didn't use another amp? Also I have no prior knowledge of installing subs or amps to any car. So any advice would be much appreciated!

P.S Can anyone of you guys who have installed subs and amps before list some tools/parts I should buy to make this installation idiot proof for a newbie? Thanks alot fellas
Noviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
You have to use and aftermarket amp, subs won't work without em. With the Subthump X3 harness all you really need is some exviromental splices, a crimper, heat gun, and wire strippers. You will need an amp install kit with the correct gauge wire and fuse setup for whatever amp / sub combo you are using. If you have never done it before I would reccommend having a friend who has done it before show you, or get busy watching videos online from car audio sites.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Noviathan

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Camaro Coupe
do you think its a good idea if i purchase the dual sub package from subthump? just to get me started and ill tweak/change amps/subs later.
Noviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
Brolik10
BLOWN!!!

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
First time out, buy everything from the same source.. Subthump will have everything you need..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
How crazy are you wanting to get with your system? Are you wanting something that will be heard from blocks away or are you wanting something you can turn up and just kill your own hearing? A single 10" will sub sound great, but you can always go with a single 12" or dual subs (either 10" or 12") if you want deeper, harder hitting bass.

I installed a single 10" drivers side enclosure from Subthump and a passenger side amp rack. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten the passenger side sub enclosure and drivers side amp rack (it cuts down on the amount of cabling you have to run from the Subthump amp harness to the actual amp helping to keep everything cleaner).

As far as tools, a good set of wire strippers, wire cutters, wire crimps (same gauge as the wire you are going to run to the amp from the harness, I think the harness uses 18 gauge but I don't remember off the top of my head), electrical tape and zip ties, 10mm wrench or socket for the battery cables, and patience will cover everything you need.

Since you are ordering your sub from Subthump, get his FARK (factory amp replacement kit), amp, amp install kit, box, amp rack and speaker grill and you will have a great starting point for your system. If you are going to use the JL amp that fits in the factory location, you can ditch the amp rack and save some $$$.

Once you get everything installed, you will be able to figure out what you like and don't like and can make any future plans from that point. The only thing I can say is the sound change from the factory amp to an aftermarket amp is HUGE! You may not want to swap the factory speakers out after you have replaced the amp.

Good luck!