Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Backing Plates

I was hoping to start this thread so that the real pros like Todd, Dylan, Angelo, etc., could maybe discuss the topic of DA backing plates. It seems like the most ignored part of detailing and you never really find info on them. Are there differences other than size? Why are some $35 and some $15?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
A lot has to do with (for us at least) where they are made... we pay a pretty penny to get the one we do here in the states as compared to the ones we could have made in China.

Ideally you want one that provides a good level of flex without being too soft... I've had some that would 'egg' and wobble at high speed they were so malleable.

Theres other factors that are largely unseen... like how the body of the plate attaches to the shaft/spindle, etc. Some cheap out and face mount the connector which can be a weak (and dangerous) point if theres any pressure on it. Obviously with that much force acting on one focused area it is prone to fail if its not strong and no one wants a plate to go flying while they're buffing their car. Bad things can happen.

I have a 3M Perfect-It rotary plate currently mounted up to my PE14-2 that I love... super nice backing plate for rotary tools... but its SPENDY. Think it was around $60-$70 when I bought it. Once you get your hands on one you kind of understand why its priced like it is:

Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
A lot has to do with (for us at least) where they are made... we pay a pretty penny to get the one we do here in the states as compared to the ones we could have made in China.

Ideally you want one that provides a good level of flex without being too soft... I've had some that would 'egg' and wobble at high speed they were so malleable.

Theres other factors that are largely unseen... like how the body of the plate attaches to the shaft/spindle, etc. Some cheap out and face mount the connector which can be a weak (and dangerous) point if theres any pressure on it. Obviously with that much force acting on one focused area it is prone to fail if its not strong and no one wants a plate to go flying while they're buffing their car. Bad things can happen.

I have a 3M Perfect-It rotary plate currently mounted up to my PE14-2 that I love... super nice backing plate for rotary tools... but its SPENDY. Think it was around $60-$70 when I bought it. Once you get your hands on one you kind of understand why its priced like it is:

Interesting, I bought the one from Autopia that was just labeled "Dual action backing plate," no brand. Was like $17. I saw Meguiars and 3M ones that were like $35-$50.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Also has a lot to do with cooling. Some BP release heat a lot more due to the type of foam it's made of. I have a 5" Meg's BP and I love it. Is it the best? Definitely not, but for the price compared to some others it is nice and has never let me down. If you look at www.buffdaddy.com it is owned by Kevin brown iirc. He has some wicked awesome backing plates, but they are rather expensive. Mirka makes the cool looking plates that he sells. Their plates come with holes in them to release heat from the pad to help prevent the velcro from delaminating. Is this overkill? Probably, but with the price of pads, every little bit helps to protect them.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I was hoping to start this thread so that the real pros like Todd, Dylan, Angelo, etc., could maybe discuss the topic of DA backing plates. It seems like the most ignored part of detailing and you never really find info on them. Are there differences other than size? Why are some $35 and some $15?
The cost difference can be attributed to a number of factors in how they are made and the quality of materials they are made from. I have seen less expensive backing plates come apart or the backing material de-laminate from heat. Anything sold at Autopia-CarCare.com is has been subject to pretty rigorous testing.

When you talk about a DA polisher, you have to remember that the machine is moving the pad in two different directions at the same time. The result is the pad is subject to a lot of internal flexing. The best analogy would be a bowl of Jello that is jiggling on itself.

Using the appropriate sized backing plate (which is in some many ways more important than the brand) will transfer as much motion through the pad to the paint. Using a backing plate that is too small will allow the the pad to jiggle on itself more. For this reason most DA backing plates are going to be made from a solid/firm material. A soft DA backing plate would absorb much of the polisher's motion.

For the most part you can use any brand DA backing plate with just about any pad you wish. There are some rare exceptions. Meguiar's MF system will operate best with their DA backing plate, for example. This is because the hook and loop's length is tuned for that system. Using another backing plate (that has a longer hook) would allow the pad to move just a little bit which would increase the heat transfer and lessen performance.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Alright thanks. I'll stick to the generic ones you guys sell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
If your looking into ones that have the padding like what Dylan shown, the Meguiars Mirror Glaze G110 DA Polisher Backing Plate is constructed of long-lasting urethane. Molded one-piece construction provides durable performance, Velcro hook and loop fasteners allow quick and easy pad changes. Also the price is near the 20 bucks mark which is great for this backing plate.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote