Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

tandtperformance.com
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Illbeyou

Drives: Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS
Have you considered adding a clear coat?

I have just been reading several threads where people complained about the thin clear coats that are on our cars. Now I'm a little concerned.

I've had my car a little over a month now. I'm wondering if I should take it to a body shop to see about adding a couple of clear coats.

Has anyone done this? Would it be worth it?
Illbeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
No. Just get a clear bra and be done with it. Youre gonna have to get a respray sooner or later anyways.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
I put a clear bra on my front end it and it doesnt look good. The clear is like dull.
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
i had a clear bra installed on my camaro and love it! i highly recommend the clear bra!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illbeyou View Post
I have just been reading several threads where people complained about the thin clear coats that are on our cars. Now I'm a little concerned.

I've had my car a little over a month now. I'm wondering if I should take it to a body shop to see about adding a couple of clear coats.

Has anyone done this? Would it be worth it?
Well to say this but the Clear Coat on any car is fine as long as you take care of the finish on your car. You don't need to anymore then what you had on there. My Mazda has so little paint and Clear Coat that I was thinking about it myself 6 years ago and to this day it's just the same as was when it was pickup at the dealer when new. The catch is taking care of your paint with polishing and then applying a LSP that will protect it for you. You apply can a product call Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating on it and be surprise that it's like having another coat of clear on it. So my opion is not waste your money on a paint shop ( only when your paint is gone ) and invest in detailing products that will give you the protection for your finish.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
That Opti-Coat 2.0 is incredible. I used it on the machined aluminum & clearcoated lips of my wheels which are notorious for suffering clearcoat peeling and flaking after awhile, but with Opti-Coat on them, I've had absolutely no signs of either of those.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
That Opti-Coat 2.0 is incredible. I used it on the machined aluminum & clearcoated lips of my wheels which are notorious for suffering clearcoat peeling and flaking after awhile, but with Opti-Coat on them, I've had absolutely no signs of either of those.
Optimum Opti-Coat is great!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
CaryE1

Drives: Black 2011 2LT
I have never heard about Opti-Coat 2.0 -- tell me more... Would it help reduce the amount of "orange peel" that these cars have? Does it increase or decrease the reflection or shine? Would I take care of it just like I do my regular clear-coat -- is it OK to polish/buff/wax? Is it more or less susceptible to swirling and haloing, and when swirls/halo's appear, can regular paint correction be used to remove them?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Angelo@Autopia

This from the Autopia Car Care Store Site:

PERMANENT protection for most exterior auto surfaces.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is a protective clear resin coating, similar to the clear coat that already exists on your vehicle. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be applied to all exterior surfaces. It is not recommended for glass since improper application can affect visibility. For other exterior surfaces, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is a highly effective, transparent, permanent coating that keeps your vehicle looking like new.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be applied to:

painted surfaces
headlights
wheels
plastic trim
bumpers
aluminum & chrome surfaces
Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 was modified slightly from the original professional formula. (The pro version is still available under the Opti-Guard name.) Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 cures more slowly, which gives you more time to apply the coating correctly.

Because Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is permanent, the paint finish has to be properly prepared before applying it. Polish and clay the vehicle before using Opti-Coat 2.0.

Note: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is not a nano-coating. While nano sealants are effective, they are temporary paint protection. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 cross-links to form a permanent film that outlasts and outperforms nano coatings.

On the subject of reducing the so call " Orange Peel " I will say no. Orange Peel has to be sanded down and you will be causing more problems later down the road with paint failure. But you can remove or reduce the orange peel by having more clear coat put on the paint and then sanding down to a level you can live with but your looking at time, money and maybe not getting the look your looking for.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: I drive the green one
im going to look into the opti coat now.
what about the areas with small paint chips ?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Angelo@Autopia

I highly recommend to get them fix first and polishing the finish to get any swirls off before apply Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 that way the paint is perfect and your be happy with it.