Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
UNDsioux

Drives: Silver SS
Polish help

Hey guys im a complete newbie at this stuff and would like to get my cars paint looking great. I have three cars I've clayed and waxed including my 45th camaro, but I want to take another step with polishing. I have an 08 escalade that has a lot of swirls in the sun, an even my 2012 camaro has some minor scratches in it! I need help on how to polish it, I know you could burn the paint or probably make it worse if u don't know what you are doing. I don't have not of those spinning applicators yet. I also need assistance on how to take off the old wax to do this. Thanks and sorry if my question is vague, pretty much any help would be greatly appreciated.
UNDsioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Go to adamspolishes.com, they have an entire line of videos from start to finish, very informative

UPSTATE C5 MEMBER
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Welcome to the site! Theres a ton of info here to sift thru, but some basic answers to your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDsioux View Post
Hey guys im a complete newbie at this stuff and would like to get my cars paint looking great. I have three cars I've clayed and waxed including my 45th camaro, but I want to take another step with polishing.
Congrats on taking that next step... its going to take some patience, but don't worry about being a noob. A lot of guys here had never touched a polisher before and I'm sure a number of them can tell you its not nearly as hard as you think it is.

Quote:
I have an 08 escalade that has a lot of swirls in the sun, an even my 2012 camaro has some minor scratches in it!
Issue 1 is to address how they're getting there in the first place which is likely your wash and care routine. No sense in getting the stuff to correct the paint if you're just going to end up reintroducing swirl marks in the wash. 2 bucket wash, good wash and dry materials, quality soap, and most importantly GOOD TECHNIQUE are key here.

Once you get that figured out then its on to selecting the polisher and process you're gonna use to correct the paint.

Quote:
I know you could burn the paint or probably make it worse if u don't know what you are doing.
Actually not at all true... at least not with the types of machines you'll be looking at. A tool like the PC 7424xp or Flex 3401 osciallate, and do not build up heat/cut like a traditional 'body shop' buffer most people picture when they start out.

Pretty much the PC makes a movement just like you would by hand (think Mr. Miagi/Karate Kid/Wax on Wax off) it just does it MUCH faster and much more consistent than you can by hand. As such its perfectly safe for a novice to pick up and use, and unless you flip the thing over and beat your hood with it the odds are there won't be any issues with damage.

Quote:
I also need assistance on how to take off the old wax to do this.
Couple of ways to strip the old wax off... you can do it in the wash process by using a mixture of All Purpose Cleaner and Car Wash, Dawn dish soap is another popular choice. Or you can strip one panel at a time by using isopropyl alcohol. No right or wrong, just about what works best for you.

Heres a series of videos we recently released that cover paint correction on a brand new, black Camaro vert... if you have any questions about a specific step or product just let me know!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Adams...12_UPDATE.aspx
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote