Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
netz
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeburg, SC
Posts: 51
Amp selection help!!

I'm wanting to upgrade my BA sound system with some speakers I already have.

(2) 6.5" - 60w RMS / 260w MAX @ 4ohm
(2) 6x9 - 80w RMS / 360w MAX @ 4ohm
(2) 12" - 300w RMS / 1200w MAX (already have amp for these)

My main question is what would be the best quality amp for this setup at a good price? My next question would be how can I go about hooking both up without cutting into factory wires? Would the FARK harness work alongside the X3 harness? I want to keep the factory wiring and integrity of my car just in case the day comes where I want to sell her I would be able to easily revert back to stock. Thanks in advance everyone!
netz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle
 
darkrider01's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 673
MB Quart ONX4.60 - 4 x 60W, $110, nice features for tuning
Precision Power BK340.4 - 4 x 55W, $115, similar features

Those are both pretty good quality amps and very good for the price. If you want to spend more (like up to $300), you have some better options, but I was looking for quality 60W x 4 on the cheap.

The FARK kit actually includes the X3 harness, so yes.

That cover everything? What brand are your speakers?
__________________
My amplifier pop/click/thump solution thread
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
yzark99
 
yzark99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Yunkjun Zity, UrEgun
Posts: 300
Boston Acoustics GTA-704 • 70 watt x 4 • $165 at crutchfield on sale now, if you wanted better sound quality than the 2 above.
__________________
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
netz
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeburg, SC
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
MB Quart ONX4.60 - 4 x 60W, $110, nice features for tuning
Precision Power BK340.4 - 4 x 55W, $115, similar features

Those are both pretty good quality amps and very good for the price. If you want to spend more (like up to $300), you have some better options, but I was looking for quality 60W x 4 on the cheap.

The FARK kit actually includes the X3 harness, so yes.

That cover everything? What brand are your speakers?
All Pioneer. The subs are Premier TS-W12PR which I had in my Escalade EXT and they are the cleanest hitting subs I've personally listened to. The 6.5's are TS-D1602R and the 6x9's are TS-D6902R. What all will I lose with this setup as far as factory speakers? Not quality but which actual speakers will just be sitting there doing nothing?

Last edited by netz; 05-23-2012 at 09:25 PM.
netz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
Hi Netz. The Boston amp that Yzark mentioned is a good buy right now and offers you a good match on power for your speakers. Others you could consider in the same neighborhood of power and won't break the bank are the Rockford PBR400X4 (which I love the size of) and the JL JX 360/4.

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rCHVc111/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|065GTA704&compareIt ems=01|136JX3604&compareItems=01|575PBR3004&g=3470 50

Last edited by CrutchfieldBrooke; 06-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle
 
darkrider01's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by netz View Post
All Pioneer. The subs are Premier TS-W12PR which I had in my Escalade EXT and they are the cleanest hitting subs I've personally listened to. The 6.5's are TS-D1602R and the 6x9's are TS-D6902R. What all will I lose with this setup as far as factory speakers? Not quality but which actual speakers will just be sitting there doing nothing?
I like Pioneer. I think they perform a lot better than their price would indicate, and everything I have ever seen from their Premier line I liked.

As far as what you will lose, you don't have to lose anything. Since your 6.5's are coaxial, you could retain the factory tweeters, but I recommend against it (the tweeters are 4 ohm, and dropping the channel load to 2 ohm might overpower them). The only thing you would lose by replacing the amp would possibly be the center channel (since your Pioneers each have tweeters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchfieldBrooke View Post
Hi Netz. The Boston amp that Yzark mentioned is a good buy right now and offers you a good match on power for your speakers. Others you could consider in the same neighborhood of power and won't break the bank are the Rockford PBR400X4 (which I love the size of) and the JL JX 360/4.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...R3004&g=347050
I like those Rockford Fosgate Punch Boosted Rail (PBR) amps. They are so tiny. Only problem with them is that they are not intended for less than 4 ohm loads. It wouldn't be a problem in the op's case if he only hooks the new speakers up though.
__________________
My amplifier pop/click/thump solution thread
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Kevinshawnm
Biggz
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, Indiana
Posts: 557
What amp are you currently using for your subs, I personally always like to stay with the same brand?
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
netz
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeburg, SC
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
What amp are you currently using for your subs, I personally always like to stay with the same brand?
I have a Memphis 1000w class D amp pushing the subs. I've always liked Memphis amps and it being 1 ohm stable was a plus for me. I have the subs wired up to 1 ohm so I am slightly overpowering the RMS on the subs but they can handle it and it sounds amazing.

Edit: I also keep the gain on the amp turned down low to help offset some of the overpowering.
netz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #9
netz
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeburg, SC
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
Boston Acoustics GTA-704 • 70 watt x 4 • $165 at crutchfield on sale now, if you wanted better sound quality than the 2 above.
I think I'm going with this amp. I guess it's just my personal preference but I've always preferred to overpower my speakers than to overpower the amp. Obviously I don't have to give the speakers all the power but I just don't like it when I can't give them enough. Thanks to everyone for their help and opinions!!
netz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
Hope you enjoy the amp, it'll work great for the power your speakers need.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Kevinshawnm
Biggz
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, Indiana
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by netz View Post
I have a Memphis 1000w class D amp pushing the subs. I've always liked Memphis amps and it being 1 ohm stable was a plus for me. I have the subs wired up to 1 ohm so I am slightly overpowering the RMS on the subs but they can handle it and it sounds amazing.

Edit: I also keep the gain on the amp turned down low to help offset some of the overpowering.
Is it the small silver amp?
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
netz
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeburg, SC
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
Is it the small silver amp?
It's black and silver. The model number is Memphis 16-PRD1000.1
netz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.