Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
BloodyCamaro

Drives: Red 2011 Camaro SS with Red Seats
==>Far Right Tail Lamp Out!!! What's The Deal?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for a minute and there are definitely some knowledgeable individuals here on the forum. Well, here's my issue............ My tail lamp is out on the far right side. I figured well I want new tailights anyway so I bought some brand new smoked L.E.D.s. Thought problem should be fixed with brand new taillights. NOPE, same exact problem guys and now the new lamp is out as well (far right). The only way Chevy will take a look is if I install the old ones THEN they will see what the issue is. Before I go thru all of this with taking out the new lamps etc. What the heck could be wrong, I'm thinking maybe a prob with the cars computer, sensors IDK. Give ANY thoughts you may have. Thanks in advance
BloodyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
A wire could be loose,false ground, or a number of things. Does your turn signal still work? If nothing works it might be the bulb, but you said you installed LEDs. Did you install LED bulbs or was it a completely new tail light?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
BloodyCamaro

Brand new lights bro, turn signal IS working but the far right light goes out when I brake. Then when I turn on the blinker the car tells me to check the rear tail lamp but it works fine.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
BloodyCamaro

Its kind of weird though because I thought I would solve the problem with brand new lights but it doesn't even matter. The far right light acts up smh.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1998 Riviera White
Real mystery. When my 2011 was only 2-3 months old I installed the very simple plug-n-play sequentials, no tail light bulb change. A few months later, made a left turn and warning light came on (something about a non working light). Few minutes later pulled into my parking space, turned on left flasher, went to back of the car and all left lights working fine with sequentials working. Not sure why, but I got back in car and turned on right rear turn lights, fine, got back in car and tried left rear lights again, but no warning on display left side was not working and lights again perfect. This has only happened perhaps 3 times in 20 months after sequnential plug-n-play was installed (warning left rear lights not working). Warning was incorrect first time and left rear lights worked perfect even with warning notice on dispay. All I do now is if I get the left rear warning, just turn on right rear turn lights, then switch back to left turn lights and warning disappears from my instrument display.
Therefore, a few times I have gotten a false left rear light warning because each time I checked left rear lights worked perfectly even with the warning on dash display. To clear the display warning, all I do is quickly switch from left turn signal to right turn signal, back to left turn signal and warning turns off. My lights work perfectly, sometimes I get a false warning on my instrument display.
Have you or a friend actually stood behind your car and witnessed your brake light is actually not working? I have, on a few occasions, gotten the warning that my left side lights not working (again my bulbs are stock), but my lights work just fine (sequentail) even when the dash warning indicates a problem.
Perhaps your LED's also have trouble with one of many Camaro computers recognizing your LED's only because this is not a stock setup?
If you do in fact have LED break light problems, after confirmed from someone standing behind your car, suggest you contact the vendor you bought LED lights from because perhaps they can troubleshoot for you.
Chevy is not reponsible for trouble shooting anything other than factory stock.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I've actually had to change the far right tail light bulb in my car 3 times in the 3 years I've had the car...stock lights
Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2013 Blk/Blk 1SS Auto
Sounds like a wiring problem in the brake circuit for that plug assembly. The same main harness feeds both the outer and inner right side units. The right side inner housing lights work so the signal and problem has to be between the main right hand side wiring harness and the plug connector on the outer right housing. At least based on your description of the problem. You may be able to swap the car left side post main harness wiring to the car right side and vice a versa, but really look closely to make sure the connectors and pins are the same. I know the wire colors are different and may be in different positions so be thorough. If you can do that then the test would let you know where the issue is: Right side main harness, extension harness, or housing assembly ( can't figure why housing, but you never know. )

"Just looking fast is sometimes all it takes!!!"
Visit Beast's album and garage for the mod list.

Last edited by Sftshldr; 04-27-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: clarification
Sftshldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyCamaro View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for a minute and there are definitely some knowledgeable individuals here on the forum. Well, here's my issue............ My tail lamp is out on the far right side. I figured well I want new tailights anyway so I bought some brand new smoked L.E.D.s. Thought problem should be fixed with brand new taillights. NOPE, same exact problem guys and now the new lamp is out as well (far right). The only way Chevy will take a look is if I install the old ones THEN they will see what the issue is. Before I go thru all of this with taking out the new lamps etc. What the heck could be wrong, I'm thinking maybe a prob with the cars computer, sensors IDK. Give ANY thoughts you may have. Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about the issue with your vehicle's taillights. It's good to see that you enlisted the services of your GM dealer. Once you make the adjustments, I will be more than happy to assist in monitoring the repair process. I can even schedule the appointment for you. If you have any other concerns, please let me know.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote