Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
khalsa013

Drives: 2ss & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
brakes "new style"

so i went to my dealership bc my tweeters blew out and when i was backing up ther was a crunching noise occuring but also my brakes were squealing.

They took it overnight and fixed everything but when i looked at the brakes there were new stlyed brake pads, there are little wheels sticking out of the side of the pads look like they are some sort of gaurd rail or something....ill post pictures later....anyone know what the problem was and the reason why they had to change it? also i have a winter set of rims and idk if theyll fit now?

help me!
khalsa013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
commonly referred to as "roller skates", used for awhile as a band aid to the squealing issues. thought it was resolved with the new pads, didn't think they were still doing the skates????
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23

did they look like this?
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93409
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
khalsa013

Drives: 2ss & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
yes so what do they actually do?
khalsa013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2004 WRX
They change the mass of the brake caliper to prevent it from causing resonant frequencies to propagate. The brake caliper is an off-the-shelf unit, used on a variety of cars, and it's extremely hard, if not impossible, to predict how vibrations will propagate through the entire car. A certain part may have a certain natural frequency that allows a vibration to propagate. That's what we have happening with the brake calipers in some situations. If you let it do this, it will wear down and fatigue parts that aren't supposed to be exposed to this kind of wear, so a simple fix is to "weigh" the caliper, either on the caliper itself, or the pads. This changes it's natural frequency, so you don't get any vibration/squeal/resonant amplification. It's possible if you redesigned the wheel bearings/housing/arms/tie-rods, and so forth you might get a different combination that doesn't allow the frequency to propagate, but it's not worth the trouble, and again, not really possible to completely anticipate this.

This is an issue on motorcycles often, one of my downhill mountain bikes did this horribly (vibration so bad you couldn't hold on). One of the things that always seems to come up is that some poster seems to have some kind of "sure fire" solution, but when you do it, it often doesn't solve the problem or make it go away. Things like pad-backing compounds, different pads, different rotors, and so on *might* solve the problem, but they might not, it's like taking pot-shots and just because it worked for someone doesn't mean it will work for you. The interaction of all the parts is the culprit, and changing "enough" parts may do it, but again, the weighted caliper/pads is a much simpler fix.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote