Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Stalkker66

Drives: 2012 Imperial Blue Metallic
2012 CAMARO SS STARTER CLICK THEN DELAY START

Hey guys, I am new to the forum. Just got my 2012 camaro ss a few weeks ago. now have 700 miles on her. Noticed an issue last week that i dont think is normal. When i turn they key to start the motor, I hear a click (probly starter relay) then a second delay and then the motor cranks over and starts. This does not happen all the time. it worked fine yesterday twice in a row and then clicked with a delay last night. no rime or reason there. Im gonna have to go to the dealer but its time away from my job and a pain. Its brand new and i wouldnt think there would be issues already.

Any ideas on what this may be. Also i replaced the battery in my key fob and it didnt change anything.

Thanks guys.
Jeff
Stalkker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Is this with the remote start? I confused cause you say turn the key then you also replace the key fob battery...

If you're turning the key in the ignition its not using the battery from the fob The remote features only use the battery in the key fob, once you're in the ignition its a regular key.

Overall go to the dealer, they'll fix it as you should be under warranty
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Sounds like a bad ground. Mine is slow starting but not like your describing.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalkker66 View Post
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. Just got my 2012 camaro ss a few weeks ago. now have 700 miles on her. Noticed an issue last week that i dont think is normal. When i turn they key to start the motor, I hear a click (probly starter relay) then a second delay and then the motor cranks over and starts. This does not happen all the time. it worked fine yesterday twice in a row and then clicked with a delay last night. no rime or reason there. Im gonna have to go to the dealer but its time away from my job and a pain. Its brand new and i wouldnt think there would be issues already.

Any ideas on what this may be. Also i replaced the battery in my key fob and it didnt change anything.

Thanks guys.
Jeff
Congratulations on your new Camaro! Going to the dealership, as Ringo64 mentioned, is the best thing to do if you feel like this is a concern you are having. Your dealership should be able to diagnose the issue you are experiencing and from there will be able to check your VIN for any applicable warranties. If you have any additional comments or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

All the best,

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
I have had this issue for nearly 2 years. Started before I had my car supercharged. It would click one or 2 times before starting. Over time it got worse and worse to a point that sometimes it would click 5 or 6 times, and I would have to remove the key and retry it a couple times before getting it to crank over. I brought it to the dealer, they said it was a bad battery. They didn't want to replace the battery because I had the supercharger on, but I told them that not only was the issue not related, and my car was under warranty for this, but I'm sure the battery had it's own warranty considering the car was less than a year old at the time. They replaced the battery and it did it the second I left the lot. They had no other suggestions and didn't want to take the car in at that time.

Recently I was in the shop for some upgrades and decided to have my mechanic check it out. He put his own battery (with 750 CCA) on it and it seemed to start just fine. I was able to use bump start for the first time in over a year! So I decided to swap out the battery. We put one in with 900 CCA and it was working just fine for a few days. Then it started clicking again. It'll only click once or twice now then start, but it still has a very slow crank. The only thing I can think is that the starter is bad, or something in the car is draining the battery while I'm not using it so it's not as strong when I go to start it.

I am going to get the started swapped out for a new unit and see if that solves the problem. If not then I guess look for a power drain somewhere. I've checked the grounds and can not find any bad ground that would be causing this issue.

I'll keep you guys updated!

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Stalkker66

Thanks for the info...that's a really crappy situation. That's not a good sign for me haha. I made an appointment for Saturday so ill let you guys know how it goes.....also, an update, driving home from work tonight and noticed the volt meter was reading 12v while driving. that's not a good thing either. when i got home i shut it off and went to start again and it was real slow. so it could be a charging issue or regulator. most likely the dealer will not see any of these symptoms though. ill keep you guys posted.

jeff
Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Stalkker66

So i just got back from the dealer alittle while ago. First off, my car wouldnt start in the service dept bay when the "grunt" tried to move it to a lift. They called a tech over to help. Even with that, the tech said they could not recreate the problem of the starter or the clicking or delaying start. (so why is the grunt having the same issue at the dealer?) They said that there is a bulletin #2775683 stating that the key needs to be locked in the open position properly in order to recognize the transponder......Personally i think that is a load of crap. Even when it clearly would not start at the dealer they still were telling me nothing was wrong. What kind of crap is that? Obviously they saw the problem. Just cause they couldnt make it do that again dosnt mean its fixed. Ill just be somewere important when it acts up again. The car did start fine for me when i left the dealer but who knows when it will strike next. If the key is an issue i think its probably a poor ignition mechanism in the steering column maybe. Bottom line is that now i will be thinking about wether it will start or not every morninig and thats annoying. Like russian roulette i guess. Fun stuff. Waist of time at the dealer today!!!

Thanks for letting me vent...
Jeff
Old 05-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

My voltmeter has always read 12 volts while driving.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Stalkker66

Really? It shouldnt. They should always read approx 14.5v to charge the battery. Running 12v will actually hurt your battery.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Really? It shouldnt. They should always read approx 14.5v to charge the battery. Running 12v will actually hurt your battery.
I'd say you are correct about the volts, especially right after starting it should go well over twelve, then may get closer to 12 after running for a while....It sounds like a good old fashioned starter solenoid that is hit or miss...Not sure, but they might be internal on starters these days...I would check yourself underneath and make sure the wires are tight on the starter/solenoid...if loose, could be why there's a "delay" and why you show no charge from time to time...If all tight, I'd say you got starter problems...good luck!
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Stalkker66

OK guys, another update.....The car had a start failure again at the mall about a minute from the dealer (luckily). The car would not start at all. No clicking, cranking or anything. So, after a few minutes, i opened and closed my door and it started. I went over to the dealer and told them the problem once again. They took the car and held it to check. After a full day of checking relays, connectors etc. they found it to be a loose ground connection from the engine to the body. Once tightened the car acted fine, charged fine and starts fine. I guess the loose ground was not allowing the computer to act properly. So, now it is all good. So, if any of you have this issue i suggest checking grounds. Ill let you guys know if the car acts weird again.
Thanks guys for your support.
Jeff
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Could be anything, failing relay / bad connection / failing starter / ill battery. Intermittent problems can be tricky and hard to duplicate in the shop.

You can bet it will get worse.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Oops too late
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
That's what I thought too. But it's not hurting anything, so it's not gonna get fixed lol. My luck is it will start acting up once I void the warranty lol
Old 06-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
EvoWake
SSTOCK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm having this exact same problem with my car currently.. Just as you describe it where it clicks, dies (literally everything dies) open the door a couple of times and wait a couple minutes and it cycles back on. do you happen to know which ground specifically it was?

I'm going to go around and hit all that I see, but don't want to miss any.

EvoWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoWake View Post
I'm having this exact same problem with my car currently.. Just as you describe it where it clicks, dies (literally everything dies) open the door a couple of times and wait a couple minutes and it cycles back on. do you happen to know which ground specifically it was?

I'm going to go around and hit all that I see, but don't want to miss any.

I am sorry to hear of this concern you are having. Have you had this diagnosed at your dealership service department? They may be able to pinpoint the issue. Also, if you would like to send me your VIN to check for applicable warranties, please feel free to do so at your convenience.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
EvoWake
SSTOCK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks Brandon, I'll shoot you a PM with my VIN.

I have not taken it to a dealer for this issue yet.

EvoWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I'd say you are correct about the volts, especially right after starting it should go well over twelve, then may get closer to 12 after running for a while....It sounds like a good old fashioned starter solenoid that is hit or miss...Not sure, but they might be internal on starters these days...I would check yourself underneath and make sure the wires are tight on the starter/solenoid...if loose, could be why there's a "delay" and why you show no charge from time to time...If all tight, I'd say you got starter problems...good luck!
This is where I would look first.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Is this with the remote start? I confused cause you say turn the key then you also replace the key fob battery...

If you're turning the key in the ignition its not using the battery from the fob The remote features only use the battery in the key fob, once you're in the ignition its a regular key.

Overall go to the dealer, they'll fix it as you should be under warranty
Not true at all...put your key in your ignotion, fold the key so it's not flipped completely open, and try to start the car...she won't crank because the key fob isn't on, and therefore isn't telling the car wirelessly to start...it's the new version of GM VATS...far superior to the old resistor in the key that they used in the 90's, and it makes a screw driver or hot wiring essentially impossible...so the next time your car won't start, it could very well be an issue with the battery in the fob.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Stalkker66

Thats what they told me the first time i went in for this issue. It still kept doing it after i left. Once they fixed the ground strap from the fender to the engine everything worked fine. I am not sure were the ground strap they refured to is. i can look around for it when i get a chance and try to post a pic.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Just a quick update on my issue, hopefully this may be able to help some of you!

On the way to a meet the other day, I got a "Check Charging System" warning on the DIC, and a low battery light on the gauges. Looked down to find my voltage showing below 11 while driving. NOT GOOD!

Took it to a buddy's shop where it was diagnosed as needing a new alternator. I stressed that I wanted him to check grounds because it's strange that an alternator would cause a starting click and delay for a couple years, then in one day just fail.

So he took the alternator off and bench tested it. It passed with plenty of voltage. So it was NOT the alternator. He looked and couldn't find any loose grounds (as there are so many grounds on the car it's difficult to search them all). So He added a ground on my starter, alternator, and ECU to make sure they were all getting the connection they need. After that the car started right up with no issues at all!

Since then I have been bump starting the car everytime, something I haven't been able to do for about 2 years. So in conclusion, CHECK ALL GROUNDS.

Hope this may help some of you from making some costly repairs that may not be necessary. Good luck!!

-Mike

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote