Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
mattbatt

Drives: 2011 2 SS + RS Camaro
White chalky swirl marks in black stripes

Stripes are black matte on inferno orange paint. When I bought the camaro with 5k miles, the owner showed me a replace certificate from the dealer since they tried to wax and buff the stripes and put these swirl marks in them.

Now the dealer will not honor the work order since I am not the original owner

I want to detail my car. Is there any hope for getting these swirl marks out? I read the threads, I'm looking at Adam's super VRT.

Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Any pictures of them? Are they deep? or very minor?
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Worgnakh
Banned

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbatt View Post
Stripes are black matte on inferno orange paint. When I bought the camaro with 5k miles, the owner showed me a replace certificate from the dealer since they tried to wax and buff the stripes and put these swirl marks in them.

Now the dealer will not honor the work order since I am not the original owner

I want to detail my car. Is there any hope for getting these swirl marks out? I read the threads, I'm looking at Adam's super VRT.

Thoughts?
I have a similar mark on my stripe...looking for solution
Worgnakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Working on vinyl graphics material is very tricky, what you want is something that wont cause any harm to them, that will improve it and maintain the original color usually with a emphasis on bringing out the full richness of the color. Polishing these stripes IMO might not work and you will cause more harm then good. But some folks have gotten away with polishing but I think it was more luck then anything else. I been using Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer on ones to keep them new as possible for customers and always tell them to keep hands or other items off of them. Sorry to hear this happen to you.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Better let us know the dealer so we can avoid them.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Supposedly this happens to the factory stripes when you get wax on them. I waxed them the first time and had white and black stripes for a while. Someone on the forum told me to try mothers back to black and it worked. I have used it since and apply it every now and then after a wash.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Better let us know the dealer so we can avoid them.
LOL...the dealer doesn't owe the OP anything! He bought the car from a private owner, not the dealer. "As-is" means "as-is".
Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
LOL...the dealer doesn't owe the OP anything! He bought the car from a private owner, not the dealer. "As-is" means "as-is".
Most likely anything you do to them now will leave them a bit glossier than they should be. You can try VRT, you have nothing to lose at this point.

This is why vinyl drives me nuts on cars.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Fiveg56

LOL??...they messed up the stripes and now they don't have to fix them?? The OP bought the car assuming the stripes would be fixed, which is why he went to the dealer with the voucher to get them fixed. Sheesh.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
LOL??...they messed up the stripes and now they don't have to fix them?? The OP bought the car assuming the stripes would be fixed, which is why he went to the dealer with the voucher to get them fixed. Sheesh.

Just seems to me if it was legit, the guy would've gotten them replaced (for free) before trying to sell the car. Doesn't really matter now, though.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Fiveg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Just seems to me if it was legit, the guy would've gotten them replaced (for free) before trying to sell the car. Doesn't really matter now, though.
Yea, good point.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
mattbatt

Drives: 2011 2 SS + RS Camaro
well it was legit, the guy just needed to sell it really quick which is how I saved $$$ on a new Camaro 2SS

I am disappointed in the dealer but I will try Adams SVT and let you guys know how it goes.