Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Clutch issues, new pedal assembly? - UPDATED 7/13/12

So the other day I went for a clutch dump to spin the tires a little and the pedal got stuck half way down. (I've read this is common) So since i was on the gas heavy, the engine shot to the rev limiter and immediately smoked the hell of the clutch, and I'm talking seriously visable smoke.

Two days later my car still smells like burnt clutch and it chatters a bit so I stopped at the dealer today. They service rep stuck his head in my car and said yup its gone. So since its still under warentee they are replacing the clutch and they said there is a TSB out about the clutch pedals sticking. The solution is an updated clutch pedal assembly. The parts are on order and will be installed next week. But has anyone heard of this updated pedal assembly? Will it really prevent the pedal from sticking again or is it just a bandaid fix?

Last edited by 2012-2SS; 07-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.
2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Nevadabill

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
So the other day I went for a clutch dump to spin the tires a little and the pedal got stuck half way down. (I've read this is common) So since i was on the gas heavy, the engine shot to the rev limiter and immediately smoked the hell of the clutch, and I'm talking seriously visable smoke.

Two days later my car still smells like burnt clutch and it chatters a bit so I stopped at the dealer today. They service rep stuck his head in my car and said yup its gone. So since its still under warentee they are replacing the clutch and they said there is a TSB out about the clutch pedals sticking. The solution is an updated clutch pedal assembly. The parts are on order and will be installed next week. But has anyone heard of this updated pedal assembly? Will it really prevent the pedal from sticking again or is it just a bandaid fix?
That's a good question, that I can't answer. I've had the same issue (stuck pedal) and there are threads all over with opinions about the cause.. But I would like to hear how things work out for you after the new pedal assembly is installed.... and you give it a good test of course. Would be wonderful if that is a real fix.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
I have a Tuesday "initial appointment". They will go out with me to reproduce. I told them this was spirited driving but no WOT. They confirmed a TSB for the peddle not coming all the way back out. I got the return pedal spring from a vendor here but hope for more than a band aid.
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Nevadabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdDude View Post
I have a Tuesday "initial appointment". They will go out with me to reproduce. I told them this was spirited driving but no WOT. They confirmed a TSB for the peddle not coming all the way back out. I got the return pedal spring from a vendor here but hope for more than a band aid.
You talking the Lingenfelter clutch return spring kit ?. I'm installing one of those. Supposed to be here today actually.. I had taken it in awhile back because of clutch smell and they had a TSB on customer complaints of this (clutch odor) and were willing to check it out and repair if they found something. Up till then it was just a odor and I have warranty left so I didn't do it just cause it did take 'sprited driving' to happen.. But couple weeks ago after some 'SD' thru the hills, I went to do a burn out and she stuck to the floor, hit the limiter and well it just sucked... my personal opinion is the hydraulic clutch slave is just junk on these cars. Fluid over heats causing slippage and pedal issues. Was kinda hoping if there was a now known pedal issue and warranty replacement upgrade, I'd get it done.
I'd rather not have to reproduce the driving conditions for them if you know what I mean...probably scare the sh@t out of a passenger.. let me know how it works out. Thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
My car had the sticking pedal under mid to heavy acceleration. I replaced my clutch with a
street slayer dual carbon and have not had any pedal issues, 3000 miles on new clutch. I think it is in the GM pressure plate, seems like even the LS9 clutch is having similar problems. I have abused this clutch with hard launches and pedal returns just fine.
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
My car had the sticking pedal under mid to heavy acceleration. I replaced my clutch with a
street slayer dual carbon and have not had any pedal issues, 3000 miles on new clutch. I think it is in the GM pressure plate, seems like even the LS9 clutch is having similar problems. I have abused this clutch with hard launches and pedal returns just fine.
That's exactly what I assumed it was, the stock pressure plate. My pedal doesn't stick but sometimes I get slippage like I have a worn clutch even when my car was new also with clutch burn smell. I will def. upgrade my clutch.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I have new aftermarket clutch, aftermarket hydraulic bearing, separate reservoir and pedal still drops to the floor at times. Starting to think it needs a new master cylinder too that will provide more fluid to the slave, and / or lines that flow more fluid as well. The pedal stays in position from the hydaulic system, not the other way around. The pressure keeps the pedal from dropping to the floor, that's why if a line is busted and fluid runs out, no pressure and pedal drops to the floor. The whole clutch / hydraulic system is really bad news all around.

Last edited by calbert1999; 05-26-2012 at 10:03 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

I have to disagree alittle. If the preasure plate is being held open by centrifugal force there would be no pressure on the T/O bearing, which would lead to no line back preasure and the pedal sticking to the floor or halfway down. About everyone that has this problem has had the clutch slip which leads to the pressure plate not closing all of the way. When my car would have this problem i would have to delay my shift until the pedal popped back up, this was only under medium to hard acceleration. Some of the hydraulic problems might be due to increased clamping force of some of the single disc and a few dual disc clutches. Since the new clutch change no problems and my car was having big time pedal issues with the stock clutch. Just my take on this.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
I have to disagree alittle. If the preasure plate is being held open by centrifugal force there would be no pressure on the T/O bearing, which would lead to no line back preasure and the pedal sticking to the floor or halfway down. About everyone that has this problem has had the clutch slip which leads to the pressure plate not closing all of the way. When my car would have this problem i would have to delay my shift until the pedal popped back up, this was only under medium to hard acceleration. Some of the hydraulic problems might be due to increased clamping force of some of the single disc and a few dual disc clutches. Since the new clutch change no problems and my car was having big time pedal issues with the stock clutch. Just my take on this.
Any ideas why this happens though or what the fix is? Is it really replacing the clutch pedal, or putting a return spring on it?
I had to reach under and pull the damn thing back up.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

if you call Hendrix they can explain it better than I can. when I was looking for a clutch Hendrix said it will fix my pedal problem and he explained why, so far no problems. mine would stick down but if i lifted off the gas and paused it would pop back up. only did this under hard or mid acceleration. if mine suddenly takes a crap i will post back, but sos far so good.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
if you call Hendrix they can explain it better than I can. when I was looking for a clutch Hendrix said it will fix my pedal problem and he explained why, so far no problems. mine would stick down but if i lifted off the gas and paused it would pop back up. only did this under hard or mid acceleration. if mine suddenly takes a crap i will post back, but sos far so good.
Let me guess Hendrix's solution was to buy a clutch from them? I'm not interested in that solution.
Strange thing for me; I had the problem with stock clutch system, but it never happened after we upgraded the clutch, then when GM slave blew out we went with RAM hydraulic bearing, and now the pedal to the floor issue again. Could be OEM slave was not strong enough to hold the pressure of new clutch and now the new slave is strong enough, but I'm thinking either pedal adjustment necessary to ensure clutch forks not overextended and sticking, or fluid pressure (master cylinder).
Well, more work to do I guess.

Last edited by calbert1999; 05-27-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Before i bought my clutch i looked at a lot of them and many still had the pedal hang up. I talked with Huffer and he and a few others had nothing but good things to say about the clutch and did not have the pedal issue. After talking to Hendrix his theory made good sense so i purchased the clutch, best part i have installed yet. It is pricey but it looks like alot of people are spending more on replacing upgraded clutches or more parts to figure out why they are still having the same problem. Im not saying it is the cure but i have not seen anyone to date with this clutch have the pedal problem. It wouldn't hurt to call them and see what they have to say.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Hopefully the new slave fixes your problem. Nothing worse than shit going south and trying to figure out the cause. I should keep my mouth shut before i jinxs myself and clutch fluid starts spraying all over my leg.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Before i bought my clutch i looked at a lot of them and many still had the pedal hang up. I talked with Huffer and he and a few others had nothing but good things to say about the clutch and did not have the pedal issue. After talking to Hendrix his theory made good sense so i purchased the clutch, best part i have installed yet. It is pricey but it looks like alot of people are spending more on replacing upgraded clutches or more parts to figure out why they are still having the same problem. Im not saying it is the cure but i have not seen anyone to date with this clutch have the pedal problem. It wouldn't hurt to call them and see what they have to say.
Quote:
Hopefully the new slave fixes your problem. Nothing worse than shit going south and trying to figure out the cause. I should keep my mouth shut before i jinxs myself and clutch fluid starts spraying all over my leg.
Yeah. I hear you man. That's how I feel now. Everytime I make headway something goes very wrong.
One thing I realized, is I should have went with a clutch manufacturer that has an entire "solution" for their product.
I won't mention any names but there are a lot of clutch manufacturers, and when something goes wrong they have no clue how to fix it.
Noticing some companies like RAM, Mcleod actually have systems not just clutches.
In hindsight I would have went with RAM, they have end-to-end solutions for every type of driving you could want to do. Very impressive.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

I was leaning towards Ram before the street slayerpurchase. From what i have read about the ram it sounds like a great clutch.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
I was leaning towards Ram before the street slayerpurchase. From what i have read about the ram it sounds like a great clutch.
Yeah. I think so too. Their literature on the subject is amazing too. Basically, tells you the different between single, double and triple disc systems, and various driving street, track and drag and which clutches they have for each.
They have some clutches that can be configured for any type of configuration, pedal adjusters, hydraulic bearing. Great company, great support.
Definitely, the overall way to go I think.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
Nevadabill

You guys all have good opinions and possible fixes on the problem as do lots of other threads on the issue... Thing that erks me is this has been going on since the 2010 model.. After 3 model years after-market clutch makers and GM themselves can't seem to come up with or agree on the exact cause and fix.. I just don't get it.. makes me wish for the old days of straight mechanical clutch linkage to throw out bearing fork.. Sure pedal was harder then but when something went south it was pretty obvious what it was.. Linkage broke, TB tore up or clutch fried.. I'm incline to agree that the whole system is junk......
Old 05-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadabill View Post
You guys all have good opinions and possible fixes on the problem as do lots of other threads on the issue... Thing that erks me is this has been going on since the 2010 model.. After 3 model years after-market clutch makers and GM themselves can't seem to come up with or agree on the exact cause and fix.. I just don't get it.. makes me wish for the old days of straight mechanical clutch linkage to throw out bearing fork.. Sure pedal was harder then but when something went south it was pretty obvious what it was.. Linkage broke, TB tore up or clutch fried.. I'm incline to agree that the whole system is junk......
The bigger issue is GM doesn't give a rats ass and keeps selling junk to consumers, doesn't take an responsibility and no recourse. Unfortunately, can't drive the car the way you want with this problem.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
2012-2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadabill View Post
I agree, my left leg could take a firmer pedal for a reliable clutch.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
lyjo

Drives: 2SS - RS - M6
2010 2ss/rs m6 - 19450 miles
clutch stick first reported 5k miles

I got the new clutch pedal.. via pi0486a.. few days ago and now bad vibration in new pedal as you release under load..
dealer doesn't agree the vibrations exists so I opened a ticket with gm..

haven't tested the new pedal for sticking yet..

Interesting so many with the same issue and GM wont try fix it.. A new pedal assembly REALLY? Now I've got synchronizers going bad and they don't think clunky shifting is an issue either. *must be driver error*
Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Nevadabill

Just a FYI for some.... Went to dealer today and here is a photo of the PI0486A... this is a copy in B&W. Note the circled part 'Aggressive driving' was in red. This is not a recall so the problem must be seen by them... They'd keep it over night to see if it happens when cold the next day.. My issue is under agressive driving so I'm out of luck anyway... What i had them do is bring up a picture of the stock pedal assembly to compare to the replacement pedal.. wanted to see if it was different or GM was just throwing in the same old one... Well they couldn't find a match to the part number GM says is for the M10 V8.. Think they may have but not in their system... Their calling into GM to find out what's up and will let me know.. Must say they went out of their way to help.. But I do want to see a exploded view pic of the replacement pedal just to see what GM did about/to the old pedal assembly, if anything.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
2012-2SS

This is dissapointing, my clutch problem is because of spirited driving. At least the dealer is replacing the clutch. Maybe I should just have them install an aftermarket clutch...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Nevadabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
This is dissapointing, my clutch problem is because of spirited driving. At least the dealer is replacing the clutch. Maybe I should just have them install an aftermarket clutch...
That's a thought. Good luck figuring out which after market to go with. Tons of (threads on) things folks have done on here, from just clutch to also the hydraulic master & slave. Some say problem solved, some not.. If their doing the clutch for 'free' under warranty, Me, I'd be happy with that and worry about it later... I don't feel like spending a possible few thousand and it still might not be right... let alone trying to find someone in my area who knows what their doing. Good luck
Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #24
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Two GM clutches with T/O bearing, dealer warranty for sticking pedal. Same problem with pedal after aggressive driving, pressure plates are junk. Twin carbon clutch, problem solved.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #25
2012-2SS

What brand clutch did you use?