Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Lnch Mny

Drives: IBM Camaro
Rattle noise coming from Rear end

So the past couple of days I have been hearing a rattling sound from the rear end. I have a headers and a Corsa exhaust on the car so I figured that was what was making the sound. Just to highlight, the sound only happens when I hit a good size bump in the road. It's definatly a metal on metal type of rattle. One that a loose muffler would make if it was to make contact with the bottom of your car. SO at any rate I started taking pieces of the exhaust off. Nope not the mufflers, they're off, went around the block still heard the sound. Hmmm maybe the exhaust is bouncing off the cross plate under the car. nope took the plate off. Maybe the the mid pipe is bouncing into the heat shield. nope.... I ended up taking eveything off down to the header and driving around the block noise, yeap still there. I have a stock suspension so I wouldn't think it's that, but then again. I was told that I'm chasing a ghost. Any thoughts out there??
Lnch Mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
RS_Camaro
my dream car

Drives: Black 2011 Chevrolet Camaro RS
I think I have the same issue. I was driving around the city and I would go over a bump or a pot hole and I hear a metal on metal rattle. This is when it gets really good. I brought it to the dealership and they identified a crack in some thing that's located in the rear of car. Four hours I sat in the dealership so it could get replaced on the same day I just happened to be driving out of state. They told me that replacing this cracked part will most likely fix it but it didn't. VERY frustrating because whether this part was really cracked or not, leaving it wouldn't have made the slightest difference.
I had the mechanic go under my car and tighten everything that could possibly be tightened and it's still rattling. I'm going to go under tomorrow and manually shake every mechanical part that I can grab to see for myself if anything is loose.
RS_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I remember reading somewhere that sometimes rocks and small pebbles get trapped in the rear control arms and rattle. Although hard to find this may be the problem. If I remember correctly they were upsetting the knock sensor also. causing a loss of power.

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
RS_Camaro
my dream car

No I know rocks have nothing to do with it. It's definitely metal on metal. Its beyond frustrating. Imagine driving around looking fresh in your car and it sounds like it's falling apart. I found nothing today while I looked. It sounds like two thin bars clinging together.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Camaro View Post
I think I have the same issue. I was driving around the city and I would go over a bump or a pot hole and I hear a metal on metal rattle. This is when it gets really good. I brought it to the dealership and they identified a crack in some thing that's located in the rear of car. Four hours I sat in the dealership so it could get replaced on the same day I just happened to be driving out of state. They told me that replacing this cracked part will most likely fix it but it didn't. VERY frustrating because whether this part was really cracked or not, leaving it wouldn't have made the slightest difference.
I had the mechanic go under my car and tighten everything that could possibly be tightened and it's still rattling. I'm going to go under tomorrow and manually shake every mechanical part that I can grab to see for myself if anything is loose.
I am sorry to hear this. If you would like, I can contact your dealership and do some research about your concern. I just need your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership. I will be more than happy to see if there are any options available to you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
RS_Camaro
my dream car

I've had two GM dealers inspect my car and drive it around and both have found nothing. I'm pretty much just going to deal with it and avoid bumps and just have someone double check it every oil change. Hopefully, it'll be found or GM figures it out