Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
SB09

Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 AGM
Thump when putting M6 into first gear.

I've got a distinct thump that I can feel in the floorboard on my M6 when I put it into first gear sitting still. It only happens some stops randomly. Seems to happen when the transmission is warmed up or after a good jog down the highway. The car doesn't move or feel like it's going to move. I just have this thump. Any ideas on what is happening? The car has 4800 miles on it currently. I think I've been pretty nice to the clutch as well.

If I keep the clutch pressed and cycle from neutral back to 1st no thump. But, if I go back into neutral, release the clutch and re-press, then go back to 1st the thump happens again. I can reproduce it as many times as I want while sitting still. Then, the next stop I make. No more thump. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
RogerBzSS

Drives: 11 IBM n White 2SS/RS M6
Mine does that as well, you probably are also seeing a grind during high rpm 1st to 2nd shifts

check out IdealG's master cylinder thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212552

I am thinking the clutch is not fully disengaging
so I will be trying this master cylinder fix either way
RogerBzSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Most of my manual trans cars have done that, including several mustangs and my Camaro. Not necessarily a thump but a good clunking noise from the trans. I don't care about it. It sounds normal to me. Just a symptom of a manual transmission I guess. My Camaro shifts just fine.

Last edited by Coyotekiller; 05-25-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If I know I'm gonna be sitting stopped, I gently put mine into first gear before I come to a complete stop...then back and forth neutral to first gives no clunk...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
I've got a distinct thump that I can feel in the floorboard on my M6 when I put it into first gear sitting still. It only happens some stops randomly. Seems to happen when the transmission is warmed up or after a good jog down the highway. The car doesn't move or feel like it's going to move. I just have this thump. Any ideas on what is happening? The car has 4800 miles on it currently. I think I've been pretty nice to the clutch as well.

If I keep the clutch pressed and cycle from neutral back to 1st no thump. But, if I go back into neutral, release the clutch and re-press, then go back to 1st the thump happens again. I can reproduce it as many times as I want while sitting still. Then, the next stop I make. No more thump. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.
I am sorry for your frustration on this issue. Have you taken this to the dealership for diagnosis? It sounds like you still may have a warranty, but your dealership should be able to check for any applicable warranties once diagnosed. If you have additional concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
SB09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I am sorry for your frustration on this issue. Have you taken this to the dealership for diagnosis? It sounds like you still may have a warranty, but your dealership should be able to check for any applicable warranties once diagnosed. If you have additional concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
I really wish I could take it in to the dealership. However, I need to be able to reproduce the problem for them to diagnose it.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Is your clutch depressed far enough?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
SB09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Is your clutch depressed far enough?
All the way to the floor. First time it happened I thought, " Oh crap, didn't quite get the clutch in all the way. " Second time I knew it was pressed all the way to the floor.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
All the way to the floor. First time it happened I thought, " Oh crap, didn't quite get the clutch in all the way. " Second time I knew it was pressed all the way to the floor.
Okay, good, next question, your not trying to slam it in there are you? I always just hold a steady pressure on the stick until it "falls" into first, I don't jam it in.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
When its doing it, press in the clutch pedal and wait a few seconds before going into 1st. If it doesn't "clunk" then what's happening is that the transmission is warm and it might take an extra second or two for the input shaft to stop spinning once the clutch is pressed. If so, its completely normal, no need to worry about it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote