Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
masterchiefbt
Muscle Maniac

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 CRT
K&N filter element

Will a K&N filter element do any harm installed in the stock air box? Will that allow too much airflow in for the stock factory tune?

2012 Camaro ZL-1 CRT
VIN 2G1FJ1EPXC9800357/Arrived 4-21-2012
Reliable Chevrolet Richardson, Texas

Life is GOOD !
masterchiefbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
As long as you're responsible when oiling the filter (don't over-oil), it shouldn't be different from any other car.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
masterchiefbt
Muscle Maniac

Thanks....I had to ask. So much about a CAI needing a tune I figured that air flow thru paper element was dialed in to the factory tune. Guess with forced induction airflow is finicky with stock tune.

2012 Camaro ZL-1 CRT

Life is GOOD !
Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham

It is...but even most of the cold air intakes can be used without tuning. The beauty of a Chevy engine is that it's very smart. It will adjust as much as it can...in the case of a minor intake change - the difference is not usually significant enough to require a new tune.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
But a lot of companies have said you will lose power with a CAI kit if you don't tune it. So I would be worried. LS3 and L99 you would be fine, LSA
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
But a lot of companies have said you will lose power with a CAI kit if you don't tune it. So I would be worried. LS3 and L99 you would be fine, LSA
They have? If so, I'd really like to read the thought process behind such a statement...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
They have? If so, I'd really like to read the thought process behind such a statement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl
I'm sure he does. But I was looking for a Cold Air kit to put on right when I get the car and not void the warranty. Then a year or 2 later, say by by to the warranty and get a pulley, headers and tune.

Might as well use it as an excuse to get all those upgrades at once, lol.

Unfortunantly testing shows very sensititive maf on these cars .Even changing just a filter could cause issues and power loss.

Andy Mages
Owner/Operator
214-228-8782
admperformance@gmail.com
www.admperformance.com

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=17

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216462

I've heard similar from other sources.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
I have always run K&N Filters in all my cars. I just went over 1500 miles and I have installed a K&N tonite. I will let you know if I have any issues. I also got the K&N Oil filter to change the oil this weekend.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I also have a K & N installed in my car and I can say the improved air flo
Seems to be a positive improvement. The Z to me feels like it pulls harder,
It deffinately didn't hurt.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
masterchiefbt
Muscle Maniac

I installed a K&N filter element tonite also. Seems to have a little better pick up maybe. I also took those 2 molded air inlets off the stock air box. When I get on the gas now you can really hear that supercharger wind up. Sounds cool!

2012 Camaro ZL-1 CRT

Life is GOOD !
Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
CAM....ZL1

I'm broke in so I've really mashed it hard before and after the K&N.
This car could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. It jumps off the line
Way harder than the ss and hits top revs. Thru the gears really quick.
Kinda scary fast. Dut a little more wouldn't hurt.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchiefbt View Post
I installed a K&N filter element tonite also. Seems to have a little better pick up maybe. I also took those 2 molded air inlets off the stock air box. When I get on the gas now you can really hear that supercharger wind up. Sounds cool!
Where do the 2 air inlets point to? I've read that the ZL1's air box had mods over the CTSV box to help performance. Just because it sounds better doesn't mean you're getting better performance.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
Where do the 2 air inlets point to? I've read that the ZL1's air box had mods over the CTSV box to help performance. Just because it sounds better doesn't mean you're getting better performance.
+2! I've been waiting to see pics' because of the addition for ZL1.

Also - I read the OEM air filter is already a high-flow unit, consisting of fewer pleats to increase flow. It'd be interesting to see what gains there would be. I would lean more toward an oil-less element, but to each his own
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
+2! I've been waiting to see pics' because of the addition for ZL1.

Also - I read the OEM air filter is already a high-flow unit, consisting of fewer pleats to increase flow. It'd be interesting to see what gains there would be. I would lean more toward an oil-less element, but to each his own
I think a lot of people fall for K&N's marketing. I've seen the display where a K&N element is in one box and there is a regular paper element in another, and there's a fan blowing air through either filter. As expected, the ball moves higher through the chamber with the K&N. However, I took the K&N filter out of the box an looked closely at the gauze element. There are tiny holes where small particles of dirt can seep through even though it is covered in oil. I'm not falling for their claim that the oil actually traps the particles after the filter is dirty. I've even read reports of higher silica content in oil from cars that used K&N filters which indicate that fine sand grains actually are making it into the oil.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I think a lot of people fall for K&N's marketing. I've seen the display where a K&N element is in one box and there is a regular paper element in another, and there's a fan blowing air through either filter. As expected, the ball moves higher through the chamber with the K&N. However, I took the K&N filter out of the box an looked closely at the gauze element. There are tiny holes where small particles of dirt can seep through even though it is covered in oil. I'm not falling for their claim that the oil actually traps the particles after the filter is dirty. I've even read reports of higher silica content in oil from cars that used K&N filters which indicate that fine sand grains actually are making it into the oil.
That's good to know. I've had K&Ns on all my cars when they were the rage. I'm a little over it now. That's not to say I'm not keeping my options open, but I'm not wasting money on a replacement filter without the entire CAI options out there; that's where the real power is.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
masterchiefbt
Muscle Maniac

Quote:
They point to the front. The opening in the molded inlets are tapered and "necked" own in the middle. CTS-V has 1 air inlet and ZL1 has 2. 1 of the inlets is very small. I think a bigger opening allows more cfm upstream. I surely don't think it would have a negative impact. If anything one of the inlets seems to be getting input from the front side of the radiator. Guess the thought maybe a cooler air inlet but I don't think the temp in that area has a significant difference. To me, before and after, throttle response seems a little better after k&N install....but that's just me!

2012 Camaro ZL-1 CRT

Life is GOOD !
Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
I went ahead and ordered the KN 33-2434 filter which is the same part number as the one for the SS, BUT I just noticed the book has different GM part numbers on section 11-14(service and maintenance). Are they not the same?2012 CHEVROLET Camaro ZL1 6.2L V8 F/I - AllAir Filter
- Designed to Increase Power
- Million Mile Limited Warranty
33-2434
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
I went ahead and ordered the KN 33-2434 filter which is the same part number as the one for the SS, BUT I just noticed the book has different GM part numbers on section 11-14(service and maintenance). Are they not the same?2012 CHEVROLET Camaro ZL1 6.2L V8 F/I - AllAir Filter
- Designed to Increase Power
- Million Mile Limited Warranty 33-2434
I think the GM part numbers are different because the ZL1 filter is shallower and has fewer pleats and is a higher flow filter. The size is the same. I test fit an SS filter yesterday and it fit like OEM.
FSTORG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
I just got the KN today. It fits very well, it's just not as deep as the original filter - maybe 0.5 inch less height. It shouldn't matter.

I think it has a bit better/quicker throtle response and the supercharger sound is just a bit louder. I just went around the block...

I like it anyways and I believe it's worth it, especially in about 5k miles when the original one will start to clog up. I had them on all my cars and can't complain. I just wish they made the CAI with no tuning required.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote