Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
Do Radar Detectors Work?

I do not have a radar detector nor do I plan on purchasing one for I haven't had a ticket in over 30+ years nor an accident for that matter. I'm an O'l Fart who has had plenty tickets in earlier years.
My neighbor yesterday told me that he recently received a 89 in 65mph ticket with his V10 German sportscar ($250/6 points). A month ago he was trying to sell me on a $500 + radar detector. Sounded bullet proof at the time. So I asked how in the world he got caught...............well he was coming up over a hill on the highway and when he got to the top the State Patrol, parked on the downside, THEN turnned on the radar unit and after the turn-on his detector then went nuts and it was too late.

Be Carefull Out There!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2004 WRX
They absolutely work, but they absolutely aren't going to help you all that much either. If you're the kind of person that speeds way above the limit in areas that are patrolled, you're going to get caught, detector or not. These are the people that the cops want to catch, this is why they use laser and instant-on radars. This is why they run speed traps.

The radar detector might help a little for a speed trap IF you have line-of-sight to a reflective surface and he was tagging a car ahead of you, but realize that's a pretty limited scenario. Otherwise it'll be telling you that you've "been tagged". I'd wager that if you think you "need" a radar detector, you absolutely deserve a ticket, because it means that you're speeding in crowded areas and endangering others.

Web-apps are probably more useful these days in terms of telling you where there are likely to be traps and such.

I've had a couple fast cars now and I know what you can and cant do. No tickets in either. Going 20mph above is usually asking for it, big time. Going 10 above is easy fair-game for most law enforcement agencies, especially when they need to make revenue. Doing it in areas that have high accident rates or involve public endangerment (near houses, crowded areas, etc) just make you an easy target. It also pays to know that 85mph is the cutoff on highways where the cops don't have to write a ticket and have to prove that your speed was greater than "reasonable and prudent" for conditions, if it's higher than that, it's criminal speeding.

Highways out in the middle of nowhere with open line of sight on the other hand, can be quite fun. Deserted mountain roads/highways as well.

On the other hand, some people live in a big city or in crowded metro areas, and they just don't "get" what it all means as far as what they can and cant get away with. Then they cry "why me!?" when they get a ticket.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
Yes I agree. As I get older (64) I enjoy maybe the 5 over rule and once in a while geting up to highway speed quickly. Mostly I enjoy the steering and "feel" of the road without taking chances. Got 1700 miles on it now and settled in to relaxing and enjoying the ride. Since my '85 Camaro they've come a long way.