Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
Need some advice

I have a v6 Lfx, and I have done quite a few cos.mods, but only exhaust as far as performance. I'm quite young and I understand the v6 stock is enough power, but as I get older I want to add some speed. Many have advised me to put a chip in and all that stuff, but I don't wanna void my warranty and get poor MPG to have the same power as a stock SS. You guys think I should just upgrade to an SS or stay with the v6 and mod down the road.
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Cant have your cake and eat it too. If you want to go fast, there are sacrifices..........if you are not ready, dont do it.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayscamaro View Post
I have a v6 Lfx, and I have done quite a few cos.mods, but only exhaust as far as performance. I'm quite young and I understand the v6 stock is enough power, but as I get older I want to add some speed. Many have advised me to put a chip in and all that stuff, but I don't wanna void my warranty and get poor MPG to have the same power as a stock SS. You guys think I should just upgrade to an SS or stay with the v6 and mod down the road.
There's not really a chip for these cars. You could get a tune, but that voids your warranty, and it's probably not worth it unless you have lots of mods. If you want to be as fast as a stock SS, your probably going to need a supercharger or twin turbos. Even then, depending on how well it's set up, you still might not be in SS territory.

Since you've done the exhaust, maybe try a CAI. That should give you a little performance boost. I wouldn't do a ton of mods if you plan on eventually trading it in for an SS, though. I did a lot of mods to my V6, and the whole time I was regretting not getting the SS.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
jayscamaro
Banned

Yea. Well that's down the road. I'm only 16 and my v6 has plenty of power for ME. But as I become a more experienced driver, I'm sure I will get an SS sooner or later. Lol thanks guys
Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
There's not really a chip for these cars. You could get a tune, but that voids your warranty, and it's probably not worth it unless you have lots of mods. If you want to be as fast as a stock SS, your probably going to need a supercharger or twin turbos. Even then, depending on how well it's set up, you still might not be in SS territory.

Since you've done the exhaust, maybe try a CAI. That should give you a little performance boost. I wouldn't do a ton of mods if you plan on eventually trading it in for an SS, though. I did a lot of mods to my V6, and the whole time I was regretting not getting the SS.

not true. there are turbo and supercharged V6s making 400-450RWHP. that's faster than the SS the last i checked.

and remember, that's on the LLT engine. the LFX should be closer to the 450RWHP mark than the LLT.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6
From anyones point of view with a budget STAY with a V6 because although you will probably not get as much power as a SS you may not get even close but you could defiantly get a lot more power then the stock V6. Think about it, your young, your probably on a budget, and you can have more fun modding a V6 and save more money then buying a SS. I THINK you can get a Trifecta tune and it WONT void your warranty but I wouldn't take my word I would look into it. I think there is a guy on the forums named Vinced who is a sales rep for Trifecta that would know the answer to your question. Wait until your older and have the spare money to buy and insure a V8, even if you get older and mod your V6 so much you have a lot of power your still only paying V6 insurance!!!!
colingordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
jayscamaro
Banned

Yea thanks for the advice guys. My family isn't into cars much and I just started out so I don't know much lol