Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
BreakingBad
i am the one who knocks

Drives: '12 2LT/RS
Future Build - Box & other misc questions

Currently riding around in an 05 trailblazer with an 18" sub. If you are interested, i have some videos @ youtube.com/lowhz420. At any rate, I am a huge bass head and am planning on trading in the TB this week for a new camaro (given the dealership doesn't give me problems..)

Browsing through, there are many individuals here who have upgraded their front stage and sub system, but it seems when it comes to the subs, many go for middle of the road or slightly above average. The closest to quality I've seen is JL - have not seen one mention of Fi, RE, DD, etc. These brands are AAA while Kicker, Alpine rank much lower in output, SPL, SQL, etc and are closer to A or AA in my eyes.

My first upgrade will probably be the front stage, then sub, or both at the same time. Plan on deadening the doors and trunk (depending on install costs) to make it a sound quality system without the unnecessary rattling. Looking at Hertz and Focal for that, particularly the HSK 165's or something similar. As far as the sub goes - looking at probably grabbing 1 Fi 12 or 2 10's. The 10's have a mounting depth of 6.250" while the 12's are 6.750".I can probably have a local shop custom build me a box, but I've seen various threads about people referring to someone on here who builds camaro-specific boxes?

Questions: Is there in fact someone on here that does build/ship custom boxes and if so, will they customize it to the sub's specs (given space allows)?

Does replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket cause any issues with the HUD or RVC systems?

If the camaro I buy has a spare tire, has there been any issues with accessing the spare tire when a sub box is installed (in other words, will the usual dimensions of the box cause access issues)

Thanks for any input!
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
black12lt

Drives: black 1lt 2012
Steve at subthump builds stealth boxes, I'm sure he can build you one to spec. He gets rave reviews here for customer service and quality of his boxes. Focal and hertz are also used a lot here by forum members. Hybrid audio technologies also makes great speakers as well.DD subs are quite popular here too, haha just not many people can afford them. Oh and a few members here have custom audio shops, so I'm sire someone will help you out. Good luck on your purchase as well.
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
black12lt

Drives: black 1lt 2012
Also, from what I understand, all functions such as hud or stereo control functions can be retained, just depends on the head unit and you will need a harness or two. Forum members sell and make those here too.
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
darkrider01
Deaf Audiophile

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
I have a 15" single box from SubThump. It's built well, and is roughly 2.33 cu.ft. (almost perfect for my RF T1D215). I believe that SubThump has all of the box specs on their site. They make dual 10" and dual 12" as well as a Triple 10" box. They even have custom vinyl options.

As far as access to the spare, that's probably mixed. The Grill for my sub makes it nearly impossible to get my cover off. Since I have no spare (SS), I just put the pump in the little cargo net. I took the next week off to get my entire car done (by me). I have a complete RF Power Series system going in. I know it's not Focal or any "AAA" stuff, but I like it a lot. I like my music colored and with too much bass - and RF nails it for me.

I hope everything goes well with the dealer. These cars are fantastic.

Also dynamat/etc. is a must. My factory Boston 6x9's make my rear deck rattle terribad.
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote