Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
SSEd13
 
Drives: 1976 Camaro LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 93
Should I buy the motor?

Someone I know is selling me their motor, transmission included, for my car, which recently broke down. The motor he's selling me is an Edelbrock 350 crate engine which was just freshly rebuilt. He is selling it to me for $1,000 including installation. Now I'm wondering if I should buy it, or just sell my car as is, not running, and it is a project car also, so I'd say it's about halfway restored right now.
SSEd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
M Miller69
 
M Miller69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iola,Wisconsin
Posts: 434
I would be sure that it is truely rebuilt, and not a spray can overhaul. If a good stout motor $1000 with trans. and installed is not a bad deal.
__________________
RED

10' 2SS
MPD1 Hood
MPD1 spoiler
SS front splitter

SW lt Headers
VMaxx porteds TB
JRE 93 octane tune
M Miller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
SSEd13
 
Drives: 1976 Camaro LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Miller69 View Post
I would be sure that it is truely rebuilt, and not a spray can overhaul. If a good stout motor $1000 with trans. and installed is not a bad deal.
Yeah I have to talk to the guy if it is legit, if it is I will most likely end up buying it.
SSEd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
speedmon
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEd13 View Post
Someone I know is selling me their motor, transmission included, for my car, which recently broke down. The motor he's selling me is an Edelbrock 350 crate engine which was just freshly rebuilt. He is selling it to me for $1,000 including installation. Now I'm wondering if I should buy it, or just sell my car as is, not running, and it is a project car also, so I'd say it's about halfway restored right now.
SSEd.....
$1000. for engine + trans (TH350?) + install.....that is a great deal if everthing is running. The install labor alone $600+.

Is it a shop? (cuz they are doing the install?)
I'm in OC, if you need any help assessing PM me.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
SSEd13
 
Drives: 1976 Camaro LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
SSEd.....
$1000. for engine + trans (TH350?) + install.....that is a great deal if everthing is running. The install labor alone $600+.

Is it a shop? (cuz they are doing the install?)
I'm in OC, if you need any help assessing PM me.
It's actually someone I know. He had it on his Nova, but then he sold the car and took the engine out, now it's in his rat rod, but he says he doesn't want that engine for it, so he's selling it to me and he'll install it also at his house.
Definitely, I'll let you know what happens.
SSEd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
speedmon
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 572
So you could get in and test drive it? You should.
Then your buddy will install it in your car for $1000.00? That's a SMOKING DEAL......You shouldn't let it get away.

Too bad your car isn't a 75, you could do a 5.3 motor.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
calflan
 
calflan's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 486
Years ago I bought a crate 350 - 330 HP from Chevy and it was $3200 in 2000, so a rebuilt (if it's a good rebuild) WITH a tranny at $1000 is a great deal. The install is icing on thecake. I also rebuilt my Turbo350 tranny for approx. $400. Jump on it as long as you are confident the rebuilds are solid. The car will move faster and get much mre attention with a drivetrain. MANY more people looking for a driveable vintage than there are restoration lookers.
__________________
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
SSEd13
 
Drives: 1976 Camaro LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
So you could get in and test drive it? You should.
Then your buddy will install it in your car for $1000.00? That's a SMOKING DEAL......You shouldn't let it get away.

Too bad your car isn't a 75, you could do a 5.3 motor.
He just has it on his rat rod it's not wired up or anything, he just wanted to see how it looked on it. He's selling it for $1,000, but he'll installer for free.
SSEd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Northeast Rod Run
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 580
That sounds like a great deal, especially if you don't have the ability yourself to do the install and he's doing it for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
Too bad your car isn't a 75, you could do a 5.3 motor.
Why does 1975 have anyhting to do with a 5.3?And if he was going to go with a newer series engine, why not go with an LS?
__________________
Northeast Rod Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
speedmon
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
That sounds like a great deal, especially if you don't have the ability yourself to do the install and he's doing it for you
Why does 1975 have anyhting to do with a 5.3?And if he was going to go with a newer series engine, why not go with an LS?
< 1976 = NO SMOG requirements in CA.....

Used 5.3 engines are $400 + turbo = 700hp.
And a 5.3 is an LS family engine.....one of the best!
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Northeast Rod Run
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
< 1976 = NO SMOG requirements in CA.....
Thanks for explaining. I was wondering if that's where you were going with that

Quote:
Used 5.3 engines are $400 + turbo = 700hp.
And a 5.3 is an LS family engine.....one of the best!
I should have worded it differently. I knew it was an LS series (actually have one lying around), but I was wondering why that over an LS1 or LS2
__________________
Northeast Rod Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
SSEd13
 
Drives: 1976 Camaro LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
< 1976 = NO SMOG requirements in CA.....

Used 5.3 engines are $400 + turbo = 700hp.
And a 5.3 is an LS family engine.....one of the best!
So 1976 below you don't need to smog?
SSEd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
speedmon
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEd13 View Post
So 1976 below you don't need to smog?
Yes, 75 and under.......they moved it for a while to a rolling 30 years, then put it back I think.......
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
SSEd13
 
Drives: 1976 Camaro LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
Yes, 75 and under.......they moved it for a while to a rolling 30 years, then put it back I think.......
I wish it was 76 and below that way I wouldn't have to worry about smogging it.
SSEd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.