Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes Intake, exhaust, tunes, other bolt-ons.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking "Strong" GM MAF Sensors Available @ APEX Motorsports!!!

GM Mass Air Flow Sensor

What makes a MAF sensor “weak” or “strong”?

The simple explanation is that “weak” sensors are not showing the same resistance levels as the “strong” sensors. The MAF sensors that have been identified as “weak” read 1560-1670HZ at idle with the A/C off while a “strong” MAF reads at 1800MHZ. During on road, light throttle input the MHZ are slow and weak in response to throttle changes which is what causes the hesitation and throttle lag. At wide open throttle the “weak” MAF shows 120-170MHZ lower than the 8600MHZ the “strong” MAF sensors will show on the same car. Depending on what intake modifications are made the fuel trim with a “weak” MAF can range from -25% on the high end to -3% with just a simple aftermarket panel replacement filter. Pull the “weak” sensor and install a “strong” sensor and within seconds fuel trim is back to 0% and MHZ are back to 1800+. This will instantly change the personality of a car as was demonstrated in this post on Camaro5.com.

How can I tell if my MAF is “weak” or “strong”?

It is very simple. Remove the MAF sensor from your intake tube and take a look at the code inside the indented window. Any single letter MAF is “weak” and any MAF that features a letter followed by a number like the one in the picture below is “strong”.

Setting things straight

There are two points of confusion that seem to constantly come up when this topic is discussed:

1) This is a hardware issue with the MAF sensor and not a tune issue. The “weak” MAF needs to be replaced and the issue can not be corrected with a tune.

2) The “weak” sensors function just fine and are within OEM tolerances when the car remains in the stock configuration. Once additional air flow is introduced is when problems arise. Because of that it is not something that GM will replace under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewCzar View Post
I bought one from Chase and it made a noticeable difference in how my 2SS drove. The "bogged down" feel when accelerating was all but gone after swapping this out. Does it give you HP? Nah Does it give you better throttle response? YES

Definitely a noticeable SOP boost.

I ran that for a day, then added on the CAI scoop for even better response.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 06-19-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
There is talk this is also an issue for V6.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206266&highlight=MAF&page=3

Here is what my MAF looks like for my 2010 2LT V6.

It looks different than the one you pictured, which is for the SS. Do you carry V6 ones? I'm wondering if I need this or not still.

EDIT: Should this be read as P5, and thus a strong MAF?

Attached Images

Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
There is talk this is also an issue for V6.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206266&highlight=MAF&page=3

Here is what my MAF looks like for my 2010 2LT V6.

It looks different than the one you pictured, which is for the SS. Do you carry V6 ones? I'm wondering if I need this or not still.

EDIT: Should this be read as P5, and thus a strong MAF?

I have seen no data suggesting that there is a similar issue with V6 sensors. If any exists I would be very interested in seeing it.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
I have no facts other than forum chatter here. I'd be curious if this is proven for the LLT engine also.
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
I have no facts other than forum chatter here. I'd be curious if this is proven for the LLT engine also.
"Chatter" is all I have seen.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]

Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
My Camaro is lower on power than it should and it's turbocharged. It was pulling timing on the dyno and completely pissing me off. I am going to start with replacing this MAF sensor with a "strong" on and if the car doesn't react differently, I'll move onto other items that could be affected it. I pulled my MAF sensor for the first time the day after dyno to see, and sure as hell, I have a crap "weak" sensor. Ughhhhh

I'll be purchasing one of these when I get my paycheck.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
TheNewCzar

Drives: 2011 SS Rally Yellow Vert, 2000 WS6
I bought one from Chase and it made a noticeable difference in how my 2SS drove. The "bogged down" feel when accelerating was all but gone after swapping this out. Does it give you HP? Nah Does it give you better throttle response? YES

TheNewCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
My Camaro is lower on power than it should and it's turbocharged. It was pulling timing on the dyno and completely pissing me off. I am going to start with replacing this MAF sensor with a "strong" on and if the car doesn't react differently, I'll move onto other items that could be affected it. I pulled my MAF sensor for the first time the day after dyno to see, and sure as hell, I have a crap "weak" sensor. Ughhhhh

I'll be purchasing one of these when I get my paycheck.
Keep me in the loop on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewCzar View Post

It is not o horsepower thing but it is definitely an improvement. Glad to hear it helped your car.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Hmmmm interesting. After breakfast I'm going out to check my MAF sensor. Personally, I think my "SS" is a bit lazy.......maybe this has something to do with it?
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
....K12 so I'm good to go! Seems like a cheap way to wake up your car if needed
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
....K12 so I'm good to go! Seems like a cheap way to wake up your car if needed
Congrats! Looks like you have money to apply elsewhere now.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
camaroRND2

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS 6sp.
Chase i had to put this to the test man cause i got my car dyno'd about 3 weeks ago and the numbers were good but the car always had this sluggish feel to it. pulled old MAF out and i read K7 so i drove to chevy dealer and got a K10. Long story short its legit changing from a single digit MAF to double now no sluggish feel wasted about a quarter of a tank playing around and now i cant wait to get back to SGMP so i can get my 60" down and finally be in the 12's. sorry i didnt purchase from you guys but im a very impatient person and there is a dealer 15 minutes away.
camaroRND2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
TCAT

Your K7 was supposed to already be a strong one. Supposedly, a single letter indicates a weak MAF sensor. However, once a letter AND a number are shown (regardless if it's one number or two numbers), you have a strong MAF sensor. Just for testing, it would be interesting to see your original sensor and your new one on a dyno, but the bad part is that it'll cost some money :(.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
camaroRND2

ur right i had to read it again it wasnt about 2 numbers like i thought but im telling u there was something about that last MAF cause that is the only difference on the car and there is no sluggishness about the throttle response anymore. maybe i just had one that was going bad i dont know im in jacksonville right now and they have dyno's all over the place but i dont think it will affect hp numbers but def helped throttle response
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
TCAT

That's definitely good to know! At least one of them fixed the issue, as that's what matters. I had a weak one too :(.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Your K7 was supposed to already be a strong one. Supposedly, a single letter indicates a weak MAF sensor. However, once a letter AND a number are shown (regardless if it's one number or two numbers), you have a strong MAF sensor. Just for testing, it would be interesting to see your original sensor and your new one on a dyno, but the bad part is that it'll cost some money :(.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroRND2 View Post
ur right i had to read it again it wasnt about 2 numbers like i thought but im telling u there was something about that last MAF cause that is the only difference on the car and there is no sluggishness about the throttle response anymore. maybe i just had one that was going bad i dont know im in jacksonville right now and they have dyno's all over the place but i dont think it will affect hp numbers but def helped throttle response
K7 should have been fine but it could have been contaminated or something. A lot of people do not realize you are not supposed to touch the surface of it and end up getting oil from their skin on it. I guess all that really matters is that your car is running stronger. Like camaroRND2 said, you definitely feel that it is much more responsive and stronger but I honestly do not know how or if it would show up on a dyno. Maybe we can give it a try at C5Fest.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
camaroRND2

just got back from going out to eat and looked at the shiny side of the old MAF and yes 3 fingerprints were on it and i know they werent mine due to the way i took it off.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
Apex Motorsports

Thanks to everyone that stopped by the APEX tent at Camaro5Fest!

Old 12-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
John Deere Racer

Drives: 2013 zl1 m6
Will this affect the tune that a guy would have
Need a retune?

592rwhp 616rwtq bolt ons only
www.mikenorrismotorsports.com
Www.lgmotorsports.com
John Deere Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Apex Motorsports

To be honest, I am not a tuner so I am not sure. Give them a call and ask.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Stingray Z51
I'd also be curious if this would affect a tune, I seem to think it might.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
Mat Mc

Drives: summit white 2013 2ss/rs
i just pulled mine on a 2013 ss and it says k7 and most the ones i have read about are a letter and 2 digits and mine is just one is this a good one or a week one i got the car a month ago and it just feels inconsistent some times it is fast and other times it is a dog i don't know what the issue is i have a cai cai intake and a corsa cat-back and was thinking about buying the ported throttle body from you guys do you think that might help and do sell the painted ones what is the price and how do i go about ordering from you guys and this was directed at apex and i apologize if this isnt the place to bring this up
Mat Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
Apex Motorsports

A K7 is a strong MAF. You do not need a new one. We do sell painted throttle bodies. You can order right here or give us a call at 502-930-APEX.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
Mat Mc

Drives: summit white 2013 2ss/rs
i intend to order a new throttle body in the morning what kind of delivery time are we looking at right now and does it come with a box with postage that i just put my old one in and drop it in the mail or how does it work and will i have a cel issue with this please tell me more
Mat Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maf sensor, strong maf, strong sensor, weak maf, weak sensor