Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

UK United Kingdom

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
DWEW
 
Drives: 2013 IOM UK Camaro
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 43
Any issues with LH Drive?

I've got a deal agreed in principle for a Camaro (IOM, black stripes & IOM interior) but I'm undecided as to if I should go ahead or not.

My main concerns are it being LH drive and also the fact that in order for any service/warranty work I would have to a 200 mile round trip from Cumbria to Darlington (been told that Darlington will be able to do services in 3 - 4 months time and that will be the nearest dealer to me).

The car would be my daily driver.

So what is is like driving a LH drive car on UK roads, especially overtaking and on the motorway?

I'm probably making mountains out of molehills and it will be one of those things that I'll look back on and wonder why I was ever worried about it, but when I'm spending that sort of money I don't want then find out I can't get on with LH and wish I had gone with something else.

In general how reliable are Camaros and are there any common faults or issues that can arise? One of the issues I have with my 300c is that it's only 18 months old and has had too many problems for my liking. The dealers always sort them out for me but, as with a camaro, I have to do a day trip to get to nearest dealer. Not a massive issue, but then factoring LH drive in to the situation, it makes me thenk twice if I want to another car where the dealer is not local.

Any advice would be appreciated.
DWEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Rendo
 
Rendo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 163
I don't hear too much about problems, but I have not had any nor do I really look for threads involving problems. Best you can do is just read around on the forums. IMO, the Camaro (not counting 3rd gen) has been one of the more reliable Chevrolet vehicles.

As with LH driving, I've owned concurrently both British spec and American spec vehicles the entire 5+ years I have lived here and have had no problem adapting to either style of driving. Overtaking in the Camaro on a B road is rarely complicated, but it depends on the road. The blind spot when changing lanes on the A roads is probably the only obstacle you will notice, but adjusting the mirror for it helps mostly.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask further questions. It's an awesome vehicle and I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS M6 - SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust, AIRAID Intake System, RX Catch Can, Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit, Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter, Skipshift Eliminator, Heritage Grill, JDP Color Changing Halos, Blackout Everything
Rendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
stray bullitt

 
Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, Lincolnshire, England
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWEW View Post
I've got a deal agreed in principle for a Camaro (IOM, black stripes & IOM interior) but I'm undecided as to if I should go ahead or not.

My main concerns are it being LH drive and also the fact that in order for any service/warranty work I would have to a 200 mile round trip from Cumbria to Darlington (been told that Darlington will be able to do services in 3 - 4 months time and that will be the nearest dealer to me).

The car would be my daily driver.

So what is is like driving a LH drive car on UK roads, especially overtaking and on the motorway?

I'm probably making mountains out of molehills and it will be one of those things that I'll look back on and wonder why I was ever worried about it, but when I'm spending that sort of money I don't want then find out I can't get on with LH and wish I had gone with something else.

In general how reliable are Camaros and are there any common faults or issues that can arise? One of the issues I have with my 300c is that it's only 18 months old and has had too many problems for my liking. The dealers always sort them out for me but, as with a camaro, I have to do a day trip to get to nearest dealer. Not a massive issue, but then factoring LH drive in to the situation, it makes me thenk twice if I want to another car where the dealer is not local.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Aye up mate,
I've been driving left hookers of some description for 14 years now, and have had no regrets on the whole. In towns, I find best to skim as close as I dare to parked cars on the edge of the road, giving plenty of room for oncoming traffic. Parking and normal driving really are no different to a right hooker. There are times on some B roads where overtaking is a bit dodgy if you are unable to hang out and see around the car in front, but it doesn't affect the overall enjoyment of owning something a bit different on our roads. Mind you driving in Cumbria, doesn't give one many overtaking opportunities does it? Even the mighty A159 to Keswick has blind bendy bits all over the place. You could have a real hoot blasting up the Wrynose, and Hardnott passes, showering hapless hikers with gravel..
With regard to servicing; I can say there really is no problem. For my annual service, I just ordered a new oil filter from David Boatwrights in Essex, which arrived the next day, and then took the car to a local garage to have it fitted along with some new synthetic oil. £60 all in. I will do the same next year, and then when it's due for an MOT in 2014 , have a full service back at Boatwrights.(a 120 mile trip for me) . The car is also a daily driver, although used alongside a motorbike, it still covers 9000 miles a year, and has been totally faultless.

I cannot recommend this car highly enough. The pure automotive theatre, has bystanders watching in awe. Your expression will be like when you get a Camaro.
All the best. Tim.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
DWEW
 
Drives: 2013 IOM UK Camaro
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 43
Thanks for the input. You are doing a good job to convince me

Going to make a final decision over the bank holiday weekend. I know which way I'm leaning towards and it's certainly towards getting the Camaro.
DWEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,692
Send a message via MSN to redleader
GET IT !!! Life is too short to have never owned a Gen 5 Camaro :-)

I got mine 3 months ago. Every day is bliss.

Naturally you have to drive slowly on these smaller UK roads, otherwise people would not have a fair chance to gawp at you lovely dream car!
I have lined up two points on my bonnet so I know exactly where I am on the road, re curb and white line. There are some blind sports, but ever car has those, and like I say, drive slowly on city and country roads... leave them all in the dust on the motorways.

Depends where you are in Cumbria.
Bauer & Millet in Manchester may be an easier drive.
They are slow, but excellent.
Call Nigel in Sales, he is really nice.
Chris in Service is honest and true. They do it all for servicing, warranty, GM/Chevy Dealership.
Wait till you see what else they have in their showrooms !!
I would not wait or bet on a maybe a Dealer becomes a Camaro Dealer/Service centre, unlikely and you need longer term experienced people.

Adrian Flux for your insurance is the best and only choice IMO.
No other insurance company knows what your car is TBH.

Join our User Group http://www.chevrolet-camaro.co.uk :-)

DO IT !
__________________
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Rendo
 
Rendo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWEW View Post
Thanks for the input. You are doing a good job to convince me

Going to make a final decision over the bank holiday weekend. I know which way I'm leaning towards and it's certainly towards getting the Camaro.


Another choice for insurance is Progressive. They are an American company and for most of us Americans 1 of 2 choices we have, the other being exclusive to us.

Honestly, I know it's a lot less common here than in America, but doing your own service is the best guarantee you can have to making sure you vehicle is taken care of. I don't trust 90% of dealerships in America and here there are even less laws protecting you. My legal experience with Renault and their ability to blatantly rip me off without any consumer protection taught me that.

For fluids and filters AMSoil has a UK site and is a highly rated and respected synthetic. You can search around on the board to find info to back this up.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS M6 - SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust, AIRAID Intake System, RX Catch Can, Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit, Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter, Skipshift Eliminator, Heritage Grill, JDP Color Changing Halos, Blackout Everything
Rendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,692
Send a message via MSN to redleader
Would it be wise to do a first full service at 3 years yourself?
Is there a list somewhere of the Camaro Servicing tasks, for each service check.
How often do you change your Oil & Filter, 5000 miles or every 6 months?
Guess I should asking all this on another part of the Forum... where's best Chaps?
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
papawattz
 
papawattz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS +2014 El Tigre
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South West Michigan
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
GET IT !!! Life is too short to have never owned a Gen 5 Camaro :-)

I got mine 3 months ago. Every day is bliss.

Naturally you have to drive slowly on these smaller UK roads, otherwise people would not have a fair chance to gawp at you lovely dream car!
I have lined up two points on my bonnet so I know exactly where I am on the road, re curb and white line. There are some blind sports, but ever car has those, and like I say, drive slowly on city and country roads... leave them all in the dust on the motorways.

Depends where you are in Cumbria.
Bauer & Millet in Manchester may be an easier drive.
They are slow, but excellent.
Call Nigel in Sales, he is really nice.
Chris in Service is honest and true. They do it all for servicing, warranty, GM/Chevy Dealership.
Wait till you see what else they have in their showrooms !!
I would not wait or bet on a maybe a Dealer becomes a Camaro Dealer/Service centre, unlikely and you need longer term experienced people.

Adrian Flux for your insurance is the best and only choice IMO.
No other insurance company knows what your car is TBH.

Join our User Group http://www.chevrolet-camaro.co.uk :-)

DO IT !
Bonnet, what? your hat? ......just yanking your chain Just curious, My last name is Watts, which my dad tells me is English? Was just wondering if you see this last name alot, over in the UK ?
papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Rendo
 
Rendo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Would it be wise to do a first full service at 3 years yourself?
Is there a list somewhere of the Camaro Servicing tasks, for each service check.
How often do you change your Oil & Filter, 5000 miles or every 6 months?
Guess I should asking all this on another part of the Forum... where's best Chaps?
Your owner's manual has all the recommendations for servicing tasks. The only servicing "required" beyond checking fluids is changing your oil when the computer tells you to and changing the transmission and differential fluids at 50,000 miles. My car has 23k miles and I have already changed both and I am really glad I did after seeing the fluid which came out.

The Maintenance Forum is here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Tons of good info, but you need to read a lot to come to a happy medium. Some people take things to the extreme. I change my oil around 6,000 miles. The stock filter is good, but using a premium filter from AMSoil, Mobil1, or Royal Purple would be better.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS M6 - SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust, AIRAID Intake System, RX Catch Can, Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit, Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter, Skipshift Eliminator, Heritage Grill, JDP Color Changing Halos, Blackout Everything
Rendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
1hotchevy
Scottish Knight
 
1hotchevy's Avatar
 
Drives: RS/2SS 6 speed manual
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 331
Ill be changing my oil per the computer which should be right around 7,000 miles, ill be using a K&N oil filter as i use a K&N filter charger for my air in take, the air filter is warrentied for 1 million miles thats good enough for me! and the oil filter seems to me to be very very good. ive used them on all my mustangs as well with no issues!

By the way im near seattle , usa but of english/scottish heritage, AKA Hereford UK and Ayer Scotland, its great to know that there are camaro lovers in the UK, once you drive one you will LOVE it
__________________
1hotchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
stray bullitt

 
Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, Lincolnshire, England
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawattz View Post
Bonnet, what? your hat? ......just yanking your chain Just curious, My last name is Watts, which my dad tells me is English? Was just wondering if you see this last name alot, over in the UK ?
Yep. Watts is fairly common over here. I went school with two unrelated guys called Watts, and employed a guy last year called Watts. I just had a quick look out of interest in our county phone directory, and found 89 entries for that name. There are 48 counties in England, and ours is pretty sparsly populated, so you can guess there are a hell of a lot of your "relatives" over here in other counties.

P.S. English 101
1. Bonnet = hood
2. Hood = cabriolet soft top
3. Wing = fender
4. Boot = trunk
5. Petrol = gasoline
6. Indicator = turn signal.
7. Silencer = muffler.....LOL!!
Toodle pip, old chap. Cheerio.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
DWEW
 
Drives: 2013 IOM UK Camaro
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 43
Decided I'm going to go ahead and get the Camaro.

I've looked at a few other options for around the same money but none of them have the wow factor of the Camaro. Plus I would always be thing at the back of my mind "what if I had bought the camaro?"

Just need to transfer some funds over for the deposit and then wait 5 - 6 months until delivery.
DWEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Rendo
 
Rendo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWEW View Post
Decided I'm going to go ahead and get the Camaro.

I've looked at a few other options for around the same money but none of them have the wow factor of the Camaro. Plus I would always be thing at the back of my mind "what if I had bought the camaro?"

Just need to transfer some funds over for the deposit and then wait 5 - 6 months until delivery.
Congrats man. Do you know what model and color you are going to get?
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS M6 - SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust, AIRAID Intake System, RX Catch Can, Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit, Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter, Skipshift Eliminator, Heritage Grill, JDP Color Changing Halos, Blackout Everything
Rendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
stray bullitt

 
Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, Lincolnshire, England
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWEW View Post
Decided I'm going to go ahead and get the Camaro.

I've looked at a few other options for around the same money but none of them have the wow factor of the Camaro. Plus I would always be thing at the back of my mind "what if I had bought the camaro?"

Just need to transfer some funds over for the deposit and then wait 5 - 6 months until delivery.
YAY!! One more for the UK 5th gen Camaro posse. Those 5-6 months will be a killer, I've been there done that. But boy you'll think it's worth it, when you get the keys in your hands. Could be a nice Christmas pressie to you, from yourself.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
DWEW
 
Drives: 2013 IOM UK Camaro
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 43
I was hoping to avoid getting a car around November/December again. At the end of November 2010 I got my 300C delivered. Decided since it was dark and it being my first automatic that I would wait until the morning to drive it and fully inspect the car. Woke up to find the car covered in snow and it didn't stop snowing for weeks!

It's also a pain to get it detailed and get some protection on the paint at that time of year. I'm going to try to be not as obsessive as I am with my 300C. It's black and every little mark drives me mad. Hopefully the Inferno Orange will not be so bad.

I've been told it's going to be the 2013 model.

I'll be productive over the 5-6 weeks and source a sat nav and some aftermarket wheels for it. The days are really going to drag now!
DWEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #16
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,692
Send a message via MSN to redleader
Great JOY! An ORANGE one will be easy to find in the snow! :-)
There is a list of places to shop here: http://www.chevrolet-camaro.co.uk/links/
others: let me know if we can add to this list :-)
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
DWEW
 
Drives: 2013 IOM UK Camaro
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendo View Post
Congrats man. Do you know what model and color you are going to get?
I'm getting the UK manual coupe in IOM with black stripes and the orange/black interior. Sticking with the painted wheels as I will get aftermarkets after a couple of months.

I really wanted gfx but there is no way it will get up my drive with those on as it will be touch and go without them.

Going to get the splash guards in IOM to help protect against stone chips
DWEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
DWEW
 
Drives: 2013 IOM UK Camaro
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Great JOY! An ORANGE one will be easy to find in the snow! :-)
There is a list of places to shop here: http://www.chevrolet-camaro.co.uk/links/
others: let me know if we can add to this list :-)
Thanks I'll have a look through those
DWEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Rendo
 
Rendo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWEW View Post
I'm getting the UK manual coupe in IOM with black stripes and the orange/black interior. Sticking with the painted wheels as I will get aftermarkets after a couple of months.

I really wanted gfx but there is no way it will get up my drive with those on as it will be touch and go without them.

Going to get the splash guards in IOM to help protect against stone chips
Awesome. IOM is my favorite color. Congrats again.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS M6 - SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust, AIRAID Intake System, RX Catch Can, Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit, Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter, Skipshift Eliminator, Heritage Grill, JDP Color Changing Halos, Blackout Everything
Rendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Phatz
Phatz
 
Drives: V8 SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 64
Good man! - Mine's on order too - got about 4/5 weeks to go. Roll on the days now!
Phatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
Rendo
 
Rendo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatz View Post
Good man! - Mine's on order too - got about 4/5 weeks to go. Roll on the days now!
Congrats
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS M6 - SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust, AIRAID Intake System, RX Catch Can, Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit, Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter, Skipshift Eliminator, Heritage Grill, JDP Color Changing Halos, Blackout Everything
Rendo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.