Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
starbase

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS SIM
2011 LS OEM Radio question

I really like the look and sound of my OEM radio / climate control system. I saw the replacement housing offered by Crutchfield to get a 3rd party radio and did not like the look of it at all. My LS is coming up on 24k and I started thinking about the extended warranty and thought aside from the powertrain, which will continue to be covered, the thing I'd worry about breaking down is the radio / climate control center.

I was checking out OEM radio / climate controls on eBay and Camaro5. I see that people mod their radios and sell the OEM. They're going for about $150. I checked with my dealer's parts department to see what it would cost for a new one. They said that they needed a part number for the radio since there are several radios that come with the 2011 LS. Since I wouldn't know what that number is unless I pulled the radio, I gave him the number from the one on Camaro5. It cost about $380 for the radio and $150 for the housing/climate control.

My question is, can any radio pulled from any 2011 LS work in my LS? Does it have to be the same part number? What's the difference between the various radios that allegedly come with the 2011 LS?
starbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
beeguz

Drives: 2012 ls
Car makers rarely make parts to fit individual cars.

I'm quite certain any 2010 or 2011 camaro radio will work, there might be some exception for the Boston Acoustics units they might have a different plug arrangement so I would stick to a standard unit.
beeguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase View Post
I really like the look and sound of my OEM radio / climate control system. I saw the replacement housing offered by Crutchfield to get a 3rd party radio and did not like the look of it at all. My LS is coming up on 24k and I started thinking about the extended warranty and thought aside from the powertrain, which will continue to be covered, the thing I'd worry about breaking down is the radio / climate control center.

I was checking out OEM radio / climate controls on eBay and Camaro5. I see that people mod their radios and sell the OEM. They're going for about $150. I checked with my dealer's parts department to see what it would cost for a new one. They said that they needed a part number for the radio since there are several radios that come with the 2011 LS. Since I wouldn't know what that number is unless I pulled the radio, I gave him the number from the one on Camaro5. It cost about $380 for the radio and $150 for the housing/climate control.

My question is, can any radio pulled from any 2011 LS work in my LS? Does it have to be the same part number? What's the difference between the various radios that allegedly come with the 2011 LS?
Each and every vehicle has parts to it that are usually VIN specific. It would be best to check with your local dealership to see if they are able to get you a replacement radio that best corresponds with your VIN. If there are any more questions that you may have, please feel free to contact me.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
starbase

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS SIM
I called the dealer back with my VIN and that's how I got the prices listed in my original post.

starbase is offline   Reply With Quote