Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Do I really need components up front?

I was looking at these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...&skuId=9985099

Or these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...&skuId=1003299

Should I just buy the single 2-ways? And run the stock tweeter? Or should I buy the components? Will the Polk tweeter fit the stock pod?
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
black12lt

Drives: black 1lt 2012
I had infinity kappa speakers in my old sedan that were a good 2 way set with and built in tweeter that I could adjust the db's. I had to disconnect the factory tweeter because it was too much. From what I understand the argument for components vs 2 or 3 way coaxial is clarity. The external crossover of a component set does a slightly better job of separating the signals
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
"need"? No, you don't "need" them. You may want them though.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
darkrider01
Deaf Audiophile

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
/me whispers "you need them."

Honestly, I would do the component set because you can attenuate the tweeters if they are too harsh. I have never heard a decent 2 way that sounded as good as a cheap component set.
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS SOLD
no....I don't think components are necessary. A good set of JL speakers and you will never know the difference.....I have paid for both. Components were not worth it to me. JMHO....
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
They are some good 2-way speakers out there for sure, but I personally feel like you get a better sound stage up front from a component system.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
For the Camaro, or almost any modern car, you "need" component speakers. You effectively have component speakers with the stock system. You would be downgrading by reverting to a coaxial speaker.

The main reason you need components, is so that you can put a tweeter in the pod, and keep your highs up closer to your ears. You don't really want to put your tweeters all the way down by your feet. There is a reason cars now days put the tweeters up high, and that's because it sounds better (even with the low end stock speakers).
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
SirZeusor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
My advice would be to go with a system that offers both the door and the tweeders with a crossover that comes with it so yes component systems.
The idea is to seperate the signals meaning low, mid and high.

when you pump bass through a midrange, you take away your mids.
when you pump highs through a woofer, you have to comprimise.

Making a system that seperates the signals as much as you can, regardless of volume or wattage you will get a cleaner more "true to the studio" sound. Crossovers are your friend.

after all, the artist recorded the piece in a studio on un-colored studio monitors to hear EXACTLY what he/she recorded.
They intended you to hear it that way, thats why they recorded it that way with the equipment that they used.
When you start adding EQ's and pre-sets that come in modern sound systems your taking away the artists initial conception of how THEY wanted you to hear their piece.

This stands true for ALL styles of music.
It dosent matter if your listening to hip hop, where the artist mixed the piece with "x" amount of bass to shatter your door and trunk seals, or if a metal artist recorded the guitar tracks with a Marshall JCM 900 miced with a shure sm57.

IMO thats how they wanted us to enjoy it, so why not design a system to compliment their artistic vision.

Lastly, if you are powering the stock tweeders with an after market amp your gonna blow them most likely when you hear that good song you crank it to.
They simply will not hold a lot more then the recomended wattage from your original factory system.
So if you upgraded your amp, your gonna toast the factory tweeds...I did that in my Impala already...I figured....ehhh there just tweeds....ya soon as i cranked it i watched a puff of smoke come out the grill and i was off to the store for a new set...

God that was a nerdy.....and ya I play/record instruments....
SirZeusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
CrutchfieldBrooke

Not nerdy at all, they def make for a better sound stage and it helps when the highs are up closer to your ears in the car. You will have to do more work during installation with a separate tweeter being installed, but it's worth it.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchfieldBrooke View Post
Not nerdy at all, they def make for a better sound stage and it helps when the highs are up closer to your ears in the car. You will have to do more work during installation with a separate tweeter being installed, but it's worth it.
It's not really much more work. The car already has tweeter pods. All you have to do, over installing coaxial speakers, is stash a crossover and run a wire to the tweeter, which is effortless with the door panel already off.

My crossover location
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
CrutchfieldBrooke

I agree, not a ton of extra of work, but a couple extra steps involved. That is a great reference picture for him if he chooses to go with a component system!