Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Beginner Questions

Okay guys, I have a few questions for the pros! First off, let me say that I have no clue about anything when it comes to sound systems. I know completely nothing so please bear with me. I have a Non-BA system and would like to upgrade it. I don't have a lot of money so I don't want something that is going to tear up the bank either. As of right now, I don't know if I am going to add a sub since I need all the trunk space I can get (if someone has an alternative to this, please feel free to tell me). What should I do first with these requirements I have listed above. Also, what would be the best "bang for the buck" upgrades. Any company I should look at or stay away from? Thank you for the help in advance guys!

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
The first thing is what you're looking for? Better sound quality or to add a little bump?
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
lscamaro

I guess a little of both. I want a little more bass but nothing too too obnoxious. I'd like to actually be able to hear some bass since I feel like the stock system has none but I'd also like better quality for sure. I don't know if that's possible but that's really what I'm looking for. Nothing that will annoy other people.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Chris82xx

I would start small in that case. There are a ton of boxes out there that will fit your trunk, you just have to decide which one works for you. I would go with 1 or 2 10" subs. I've always been partial to Alpine or JL. As far as an amp, you can mount it to the back of the seat. Take your time doing it and it'll look nice. Then you just have to buy the wiring.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
lscamaro

If I'm not too sure about a sub, should I start with the speakers or will they not offer any improvement in sound? Does the amp and sub make a huge difference?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Yes. I typically tell customers to start with speakers and build onto the system if needed after that if you aren't sure. Just speakers alone will make an audible difference in your system and may be all you need, but a sub can certainly round out the sound even if you don't happen to be fan of a lot of bass.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
lscamaro

What speakers do you recommend for someone on a budget? Is there anything good that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I have the non boston acoustic system in case that matters

Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
CrutchfieldBrooke

What budget do you have in mind for the speakers?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Chris82xx

Panel speakers really won't do too much unless it's hooked to an amp, or an aftermarket stereo. I would personally do a sub first that has a dual voice coil. You'll get all the pounding you want, with a little more sound. This would allow you to turn down the lows on the rest of the speakers and bring up the mids and highs. It balances out nicely.

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
lscamaro

200-300 a set maybe. I'm not too sure at the moment.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
lscamaro

Has anyone used an infinity basslink? My uncle has one in his Camaro and it makes the system sound pretty good. Anyone have any benefits and cons to it? Thanks!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
CrutchfieldBrooke

The Basslink is a good option if you're on a budget and just looking for something to fill in the lows that you don't get from the regular speakers. It wouldn't be my first choice for a powered sub, but it'll def work to give you some bass in the car. You should have a pretty good idea on how it'll sound and if it's enough for you since you've got to hear it.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #13
lscamaro

Okay, well see now you have me intrigued
What would be your first choice for a powered sub. Also, any disadvantages for going with a powered sub?

What are your choices for something that would give me decent sound, by replacing some lows since thia car has no bass and being able to remove fairly easily and quickly. I liked that the basslink could be removed easily since I track my car quite a bit and remove things from the trunk

Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Stay away from the Kicker HS8 Hideaway powered sub...it absolutely sucks... having owned one myself.

'12 Volkswagen Jetta SE
'12 Chevrolet Camaro
'11 Harley Fat Bob
'11 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L
'05 Mercedes E500 W211
'01 BMW 328xi
'89 Chevrolet Suburban
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
lscamaro

Thanks for that! I'll be sure to stay away from that one.
I've heard the Basslink and I really like it so I guess my expectations aren't that big lol. I also wanted to know if with a basslink or any other self powered sub I could add new speakers and if it would sound bad or better?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
CrutchfieldBrooke

They used to make an add on module for the Basslink II that added on a 4-channel amp, but I think they discontinued it a few years back. That's the only one I've ever seen that would allow you to power speakers as well.

The Infinity Basslink is certainly a good value and you are familiar with the sound of it. It will also be more compact than some others. If I were picking a sub out of the powered subs that I've heard, my first pick for a single sub would be the JL PWM110 or PWM112. I'll show you all three:

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rCHVc11...WM1122&g=51000
Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #17
lscamaro

I think I might go with the basslink. Could I also replace the stock speakers and have them powered by the factory radio and hear a difference?

What speakers would u recommend for a budget of about 150?