Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Nutro


 
Nutro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,305
School me on subs!

It's been many many years since I've messed with car audio and I convinced the wife unit to allow me a single 10" sub.

I'm looking to keep it pretty cheap though.

I'm looking at a single 10" Polk DXi or Diamond Audio sub. I'm not sure what amp I need but I will get to that.

Here is my question. Do I need a single voice coil (SVC) or a Dual voice coil (DVC) and do I want a 4ohm etc etc.

I was planning on running a single 2 channel amp or a mono amp for the sub then adding a 4 channel for the fronts and rears.
__________________
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
black12lt
 
Drives: black 1lt 2012
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: auburn alabama
Posts: 178
I'd go two ohm sub, mono amp to power and 4 channel for speakers. A dvc sub will just allow you to run in either 2,4, or 8 ohms. This may be helpful if you do the 5 channel for your speakers and subs. To the best of my knowledge, the lower the ohm load, the more power hungry the sub is, harder it hits.since the wife is only allowing 1 10 inch sub, of definitely again suggest a 2 ohm to get he most bang for size. Alpine type r is a good example. Hope this helps.
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
real deal 101
 
Drives: Navy baby
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Clear water FL
Posts: 100
tobe honest i thought this was my dream thread. i was hopeign i wont have to ask people what are subs,Amps etc

im going to get flamed if i post a thread of the questions.
i didnt grow up around stereo systems nor do i know anythign about an aftermarket sound system. all i know is stock and what it is.

i want something that looks good, sounds good and i can open up my truck at a show and they say nice system you got there, i dont want to kill my wallet either
real deal 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Nutro


 
Nutro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by real deal 101 View Post
tobe honest i thought this was my dream thread. i was hopeign i wont have to ask people what are subs,Amps etc

im going to get flamed if i post a thread of the questions.
i didnt grow up around stereo systems nor do i know anythign about an aftermarket sound system. all i know is stock and what it is.

i want something that looks good, sounds good and i can open up my truck at a show and they say nice system you got there, i dont want to kill my wallet either
You won't get flamed by most folks here. We're here to help.
__________________
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Nutro


 
Nutro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12lt View Post
I'd go two ohm sub, mono amp to power and 4 channel for speakers. A dvc sub will just allow you to run in either 2,4, or 8 ohms. This may be helpful if you do the 5 channel for your speakers and subs. To the best of my knowledge, the lower the ohm load, the more power hungry the sub is, harder it hits.since the wife is only allowing 1 10 inch sub, of definitely again suggest a 2 ohm to get he most bang for size. Alpine type r is a good example. Hope this helps.

Hmm ok thanks. So if I am running a 2ohm sub, I can just run it off of a mono amp?

OR run a 4ohm sub and wire it direct. One channel per voice coil.

Most of the subs that I see on Crutchfield are 4ohm.
__________________
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
black12lt
 
Drives: black 1lt 2012
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: auburn alabama
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
You won't get flamed by most folks here. We're here to help.
+1
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
black12lt
 
Drives: black 1lt 2012
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: auburn alabama
Posts: 178
Most amps have rms and wattage setting for differnt ohm levels. For example, the same amp can provide 250 rms at 4 ohm, or 500 rms at 2 ohms. Just depends on how the sub is wired. You can get a type r which is atleast 500 rms and mrp 500 amp thats a mono that will be more than enough power on amazon for 350-380. Both are great quality, and the sub is 2 ohms.
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
black12lt
 
Drives: black 1lt 2012
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: auburn alabama
Posts: 178
Anything other than a mono amp will probably need to.be bridged to push the sub efficiently also. Mono amps are the easiest to just power a sub
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.