Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Forgestar Longevity

I’d like to hear from folks who bought Forgestar matte or textured wheels years back regarding how they hold up and look today. I was getting ready to buy a pair of CF5 textured gunmetal (and still may), but I saw a few threads about paint fading after 6 months and paint chipping. The reseller I’m purchasing from has them in stock and ready to go, so it’s tough to say no. But I want to make sure I’m investing in something that will last for years to come.

My alternative to the Forgestar CF5 is the Vossen VVSCV3 Matte Graphite, but unfortunately the 20” doesn’t fit on the SS w/out spacers. I’m trying to match the Ashen grey rally strip on my car…does anyone else have suggestions for a 5 spoke 100% grey wheel?
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,817
After 10 months/10,000 miles my textured matte black look just as good as they did brand new. Of course, I am the only one that washes my cars.

The only downside is that the textured finish is like a magnet for brake dust. I bought some Hawk ceramic pads that I am going to put on when I get my next Forgestars in about a week or so. That should take care of that problem.
SUX2BU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Venom SS
Black BumbleBee!!!!
 
Venom SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SSRS Black/Silver Stripes
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 612
lol my next forgestars
__________________
Venom SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
MagnusKrans
 
MagnusKrans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
After 10 months/10,000 miles my textured matte black look just as good as they did brand new. Of course, I am the only one that washes my cars.

The only downside is that the textured finish is like a magnet for brake dust. I bought some Hawk ceramic pads that I am going to put on when I get my next Forgestars in about a week or so. That should take care of that problem.
I figured that textured finish would be a magnet for brake dust, that is why I decided long ago to go with the regular matte black instead. The CF5 look like they would be easier to keep clean but I just like the look of the F14 better. Now I'm just waiting for you to perfect the right tire/wheel combo for these cars and I will buy them. I'm still torn between a 18" setup or going with something like the pedders 19" setup. Waiting to see what your setup looks like when you get it on and how the clearances are then I'll decide.
__________________

2011 1SS/RS L99 VR


- - Livernois 2c-hl cam, Livernois stage 2 heads, ported intake, ported TB, CAI intake, ADM scoop, Stainless Works 1-7/8" headers w/ hfc, Magnaflow 3" exhaust. - - 451 rwhp/411 rwtq - -

Last edited by MagnusKrans; 06-01-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added content
MagnusKrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,919
I think the textured looks cheap. Do gloss gunmetal!
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusKrans View Post
I figured that textured finish would be a magnet for brake dust, that is why I decided long ago to go with the regular matte black instead. The CF5 look like they would be easier to keep clean but I just like the look of the F14 better. Now I'm just waiting for you to perfect the right tire/wheel combo for these cars and I will buy them. I'm still torn between a 18" setup or going with something like the pedders 19" setup. Waiting to see what your setup looks like when you get it on and how the clearances are then I'll decide.
Hopefully I will have the wheels in a week or so. I'm sooo excited!
SUX2BU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
ModBargains.com


 
ModBargains.com's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro, 996TT, 335i, Etc.
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 1721 E. Lambert Rd. Unit C, La Habra, Ca 90631
Posts: 2,091
I'm personally a fan of the textured look, I've done it once and I wouldn't be hesitant to do it again honestly. As for cleaning them, they're just like any other wheel, just make sure to clean them with standard soap and water as harsh chemicals in wheel cleaners do make it easier to clean off brake dust, but can effect overall durability on the powdercoat, and that's true for any wheel with any finish.
__________________

Jurrian Terpstra | Modification Expert | Jurrian@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8002
We Specialize In: Camaro Wheels | Camaro Suspension | Camaro Performance | KW Coilovers |
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm (PST)
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,919
Texture vs Smooth... The one on the right looks much better IMO
Attached Images
 
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Thanks for the feedback. THe CF5s i was going to buy got sold shortly before i called to buy them :(. Sounds like ordering would take 8+ weeks...i'm way too impatient for that. So i went back to the search and now have my eye on CEC C884 in matte grey:



Now I'm waiting impatiently...
__________________

Last edited by PMJ; 06-02-2012 at 07:05 PM.
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
UF4LIFE102SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2 SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL.
Posts: 3,522
If u get those wheels u might need some powdercoated calipers and slotted rotors. They show alot behind them. Just my .02! They do look nice!
__________________
UF4LIFE102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
camaro_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Emerald Coast
Posts: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
Texture vs Smooth... The one on the right looks much better IMO
The textured wheel on the left looks like the wheel was plasti-dipped in black.
__________________
-White Mary Jane....build thread [COTW 6/11/12] :

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
The textured wheel on the left looks like the wheel was plasti-dipped in black.
Plastidipped with sand lol. I have plastidipped things and it comes out very smooth.
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
camaro_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Emerald Coast
Posts: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
Plastidipped with sand lol. I have plastidipped things and it comes out very smooth.
LMAO!! That just must be my plasti-dipping work. Now that I think of it I have had some things turn out smooth and some turn out textured like that. Mostly textured though, haha.
__________________
-White Mary Jane....build thread [COTW 6/11/12] :

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Montducati
 
Montducati's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th Edition SS, Ducati Diavel, 996
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
Thanks for the feedback. THe CF5s i was going to buy got sold shortly before i called to buy them :(. Sounds like ordering would take 8+ weeks...i'm way too impatient for that. So i went back to the search and now have my eye on CEC C884 in matte grey:



Now I'm waiting impatiently...
8 weeks minimum for sure , I'm into 8 weeks now (others are 13+) and they keep pulling my chain as to when I will receive them. They told me over a month ago I could not change the color because they were too far into the process of producing the wheel, how's that for a blatant lie. If they were at the point of finishing my wheels a month ago the wheels should be on my car now.

I was convinced by the vendor that textured finish was the best choice, judging from the pics above I think it was the wrong choice.

I would go with the CEC if I were you, they look nice.
__________________
2012 45th Edition SS LS3 Hurst equipped
Bowtie!! What Bowtie??
Montducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
So I ended up ordering giovanna MECCAs...I loved them, but they didn't fit on the rear :-( (my worst fear). The guy at the tire shop swears the 1/8" spacers won't cause me any grief.

This car is my every day driver and I plan to take it to the track occasionally. Everything I've heard about spacers is negative. I had them put my originals back on, but they are holding the wheels for me while I seek other opinions.

Wheel experts...should I keep looking? Or go with the spacers? I'll add a picture when I get home, they are really sharp wheels.
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
hawk02
Convertible Three-peat
 
hawk02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
I think the textured looks cheap. Do gloss gunmetal!
That's the color of F14s I ordered with a red pinstripe on the outer lip. Tried to order the color of your wheels but Tony said the black graphite is likely discontinued because of quality issues with the finish. He said gloss gunmetal gray would be the closest finish so that's what I ordered. Can't wait to get them.
__________________
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Jay_LHD3

 
Jay_LHD3's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
Texture vs Smooth... The one on the right looks much better IMO

I think textured looks better. I don't care for how the sun glares off of the gloss wheels.



Back on topic, I've had my wheels for over a year and they still look brand new!!
__________________
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
Nine Ball
 
Nine Ball's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 & 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post

Wheel experts...should I keep looking? Or go with the spacers? I'll add a picture when I get home, they are really sharp wheels.
Custom wheels take time to build. But, in the end you get exactly what you want. 2 months flies by. I have other brands that cost more and also offer rush build fees for those who are impatient and have wallet depth

Just say NO to spacers. That is an awful compromise. I'd rather wait 2 years than run spacers.

Tony
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Custom wheels take time to build. But, in the end you get exactly what you want. 2 months flies by. I have other brands that cost more and also offer rush build fees for those who are impatient and have wallet depth

Just say NO to spacers. That is an awful compromise. I'd rather wait 2 years than run spacers.

Tony
Yeah, I got my wheels last week and as soon as I saw them I forgot all about my wait time, they are gorgeous! Thanks again Tony! The offset we chose fit PERFECT, but the tires I bought, not so much. Oh well they were cheap and I'll get some better ones later.
SUX2BU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
Nine Ball
 
Nine Ball's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 & 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,842
Post pics of Ginger and her new shoes!
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
gl2filmerguy
 
gl2filmerguy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 388
I just found out 1 of mine is bent : ( I have had mine for about a year now
gl2filmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
SinfulCamaro
Sinful Camaro
 
SinfulCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK 2010 2SS RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SAN DIEGO, CA
Posts: 275
WHAT DO THE CEC C884 22" in matte BLACK RUN? THEY ARE GOOD LOOKING GOOD CHOICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montducati View Post
8 weeks minimum for sure , I'm into 8 weeks now (others are 13+) and they keep pulling my chain as to when I will receive them. They told me over a month ago I could not change the color because they were too far into the process of producing the wheel, how's that for a blatant lie. If they were at the point of finishing my wheels a month ago the wheels should be on my car now.

I was convinced by the vendor that textured finish was the best choice, judging from the pics above I think it was the wrong choice.

I would go with the CEC if I were you, they look nice.
SinfulCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
Nessal


 
Drives: Lotus Exige
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl2filmerguy View Post
I just found out 1 of mine is bent : ( I have had mine for about a year now

Wait how is it bent? Did you hit a pothole?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Quote:
Just say NO to spacers. That is an awful compromise. I'd rather wait 2 years than run spacers.
Thanks Tony! Spoken like a guy who sells perfect fitting wheels that may just be worth the wait . I wish I would have gotten in touch with you earlier to buy the CF5s while you had them.

I'm going to pass on the spacers, but i haven't given up the search for prefab tires that fit with a fast turnaround...yet. I'm leaning towards Matte Black now over the grey. If you have a 5 spoke (solid spokes) wheel in matte black that fits, let me know.

Quote:
WHAT DO THE CEC C884 22" in matte BLACK RUN? THEY ARE GOOD LOOKING GOOD CHOICE
I'm sticking w/20"...I'm planning to race my car and everything I read says smaller rims are better. 18" would be better than 20", but i am compromising by sticking w/the 20'. I got 2 responses on the CEC C884's, one was they didn't fit, and the other was they would custum build for me for $8K and I assume a long wait (I'll definitely go to Tony first).

Quote:
Yeah, I got my wheels last week and as soon as I saw them I forgot all about my wait time, they are gorgeous! Thanks again Tony! The offset we chose fit PERFECT, but the tires I bought, not so much. Oh well they were cheap and I'll get some better ones later.
Sux2bu, i'm not sure i caught why you are replacing your forgestar's? I'm still shying away from them based on some bad press the company has received on this forum (besides the long wait).

In the end, I'll probably be crawling back to Tony to order Forgestar CF5s after sleeplessly searching for weeks for a faster alternative...(of course i want to find out gl2filmerguy got bent).
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post



Sux2bu, i'm not sure i caught why you are replacing your forgestar's? I'm still shying away from them based on some bad press the company has received on this forum (besides the long wait).

In the end, I'll probably be crawling back to Tony to order Forgestar CF5s after sleeplessly searching for weeks for a faster alternative...(of course i want to find out gl2filmerguy got bent).
It's kind of a long boring story. My first set, I wanted the widest possible out back and the narrowest possible up front. Hence the 18x8.5/18x11. After I bought some skinnies for the track I no longer needed my narrow F14 fronts and I kind of wanted to go more to the handling side of things so I ordered some 18x10 for the front. I put my 18x8.5s up for sale but knew it would be hard to sell just two wheels so I also put them up for sale as a whole set with the 18x11. If the whole set sold I would order another set of 18x10 so I would have a squared set up and rotate them. Ended up selling the whole set, so here we are.
SUX2BU is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
forgestar, wheel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.