Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1998 Riviera White
All those getting dings, dents, repainted

Reviewing many threads regarding getting dings and dents repainted. I only suggest if you get paint touched up, for whatever reason, you get a lifetime warranty on paint.
Reason: My Camaro trade-in was a 1996 Sebring LXI coupe, bought new and pampered. Twice the Sebring was rear ended with minor damage (1st at 12 months, 2nd at 24 months). Each time insurance paid to repaint rear bumper. Each time repaint had a 36 month paint warranty. Bumper paint started to flake within 38 months. I had bumper repainted at my expense before I traded the Sebring for the Camaro ($600 plus dollars to repaint Sebring paint flaking bumper).
Issue is if you get any paint repair work done on your Camaro insist on a life time warranty on the paint. Recently had to have my Camaro rear bumper repainted, both State Farm and body shop warrants paint for lifetime.
Regarding the Sebring I traded to purchase the Camaro. 1996 Sebring bought new, had Zeibart installed window tint with life warranty. 2010, Sebring was 14 years old and window tint started to delaminate. I had moved to Canada, imported my Sebring to Canada, Zeibart Canada would not honor window tint warranty. I had saved all window tint warranty info. Took me 5 months, but found manufacturer of the window tint film product did business in Canada. With my records, and threat of legal action, the Sebring had windows retinted at no cost to me. Window tint had a lifetime warranty and window film company never expected someone with a 14 year old product application, after changing auto registration between countries, would force them to honor their window tint product life time warranty.
Bottom line, you get paint work on your Camaro, insist on a lifetime paint warranty and save receipts/documentation. Otherwise your paint might start to flake after 38 months and you have no recourse.
I understand that many on this board are young and I am old. I have been driving for 45 years and unfortunately had more than a few complications with insurance firms regarding claims. I have always been able to get fair claims with insurance but only because I keep records. Sometimes getting a fair claim takes years.
If you must have your Camaro paint fixed, for what ever reason, get a paint life time warranty and save all your documentation as you might need that documentation 10-15 years in the future.

abaucom21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Blu Ray

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT/RS/M6
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Good Post.....

FOUNDER
NY/NJ/PA DOMESTIC CAR CLUB
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
2xSSRS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black on Black L99
Thumbs up

I save everything just for that reason. You never know.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Agree. Documentation is the key. Word of mouth is quickly forgotten.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo

Drives: 2012 LT RS 45th Anniversary
Great post. I wasn't aware that a lifetime warranty for paint existed...and probably shouldn't!
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I've got one door ding and 2 scratches below the trunk lid where I dropped a 2 wheel cart when trying to load it in the car. Of course I notice the defects and look at them all of the time. I took my black SS to 2 different body shops and was told I would have to have much more painted than just the ding and scratches. Price from the dealer was $1,100 and from an independent $880.

I have tried to fix them myself but did such a lousy job I ended up moving the touch up paint b4 it dried. Where are you guys getting these little dings and scratches
repaired? As much as I love my car there is no way I'm spending that much money to get these small defects replaced. I know someone does this kind of repair because used car lots use them for touch ups.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote