Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
rray200
 
rray200's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Trac
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 287
Too much Orange Peel on Black Camaros

I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.


The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Corvette C6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,028
Typical, a good buff/polish job will help with that.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Link in the Sig....
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
REVENGE
 
Drives: 1999 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 137
[QUOTE=rray200;488938] No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.


QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.
REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.


The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?
all cars have orange peel now-a-days. It's mostly because of the waterbased paints that are used.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
racert33
waiting for white
 
racert33's Avatar
 
Drives: vertically challenged 95 c/k
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
all cars have orange peel now-a-days. It's mostly because of the waterbased paints that are used.
well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?
__________________
racert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #7
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?
at the pace they have to produce, probably pretty hard.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?
Very. You have to run the line rate so slow in the ovens that either you have a low line rate and low production or you have multiple paint lines which is millions of $$$ in investment. Either way it's big bucks to you, the buyer.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
CamaroHutch
 
CamaroHutch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Indiana (Louisville Area)
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.


The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?
The only thing I can agree with is it is a little harder to see the lines in the black. I noticed that as well. But it is still looks quite bad ass
__________________
Ordered Jan 09

2SS RS RJT

Delivery?? 5/27/09 #10630

AFTERMARKET:
Hurst STS
Borla ATAK Catback
CamaroHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #10
camaro67
Account Suspended
 
Drives: marina blue 67
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: branchland wv
Posts: 227
if you want show quality paint job go to a custom shop should be able to get one for about 10 15 thou.indv.vs.mass. prod. ive seen red, yellow silver camaros they look great to me . paint not as nice as my 67 .didnt cost as much either.
camaro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
fireresq157

 
fireresq157's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,027
[QUOTE=REVENGE;489036]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.


QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.
I beg to differ the reason they whent with silver in the concept is because it brings out the lines in the car. Ask Fbodfather, straight from the horses mouth. BTW I mean that lovingly Scott.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Cut and buff. Not a big deal.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015


I can't recall exactly where, but there is/was a thread discussing this matter.

EVERY CAR has orange peel.

A LITTLE "ELBOW GREASE" AND A GOOD QUALITY WAX/POLISH WILL IMPROVE THE APPEARANCE 100%.

GM/Chevrolet has done a very good job, IMO, with the painting of the 5th Gen., as well as its latest vehicles.

Be reasonable; EVERYONE wants their 5th Gen., yesterday, and they want it at a price they feel is reasonable. So, if GM retools the painting process, resulting in a slower process, time spent wet sanding, polishing, etc., so there is no orange peel, and then the higher costs for that process as well as paying for more time, well, you get my point.

I've seen red, yellow, silver, and black 5th Gens., so far, and doing ALOT of detailing work, I look at the paint on these cars and smile as, with a little polishing, they look amazing.


As for which color looks better on the 5th Gen., they all look good. Its just a matter of preference.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
Phil Oliver
 
Phil Oliver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 179
I disagree with your take on silver. I find of all the colours it brings out the lines of the Camaro the best. Probably why GM chose silver as the colour for the concept.
__________________
SIM 1LT 19" polished rims. 2G1FF1EV8A9124407.
Phil Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
91RS
 
Drives: 1991 RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 144
I agree, silver is the most boring color for this car. No shine or glamour at all. almost looks like car thats WAITING to be painted. Incomplete. I also agree about black being very unflattering. For me its either Yellow, Orange, or Aqua blue.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
lnsjr1
 
Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Glassboro, NJ
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.


The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?
Same here, went to see it and was thinking the same thing.
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
levi1922

 
levi1922's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?
ask the germans. they will also tell you it is near impossible.
i have seen bimmers and merc with orange peel. im sure Bentleys dont, but, for the price, they better not have even the smallest of blemishes, and most likely, they wont
__________________
levi1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015


I just attended an unveiling Saturday, and they had a silver 2LT with black stripes.

Maybe I'm seeing something different, but the shine, the way the light played off the body panels...it looked very nice.

Also, an employee had her black SS/RS there. And, as with the silver, it looked very nice.

Doing detail work, I payed close attention to what the paint looked like up close, and I was very impressed.

Both colors show very well on the 5th Gen.

As I said, everyone has their preference. Lets remember to respect other peoples choice/thoughts on color.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #19
Danno
 
Danno's Avatar
 
Drives: 1993 Trans Am, 2007 Acadia
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?
Here's the BMW guys whining about it on the M3. In fact, one guy in here mentions his WRX has it too, and another that his Porsche does as well.
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=207266
__________________
US Navy retired submariner.

previous cars, starting with my first.
1970 Nova
1967 RS/SS Camaro
1969 Chevelle
1970.5 Camaro
A long, undistinguished line of sedans, SUV's, and minivans.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
I heard also rumors like that about some of the new automated painting machines. The Tundra factory in San Antonio, heard the paint is Shat cause of the new machines try to skimp on the juice as much as possible to cut costs. Damn skynet....
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #21
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower
 
SIK07GTSTANG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 350
What exactly is orange peel? I'm at a loss.
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
Morepwr
woohoo
 
Morepwr's Avatar
 
Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Socal
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK07GTSTANG View Post
What exactly is orange peel? I'm at a loss.

The texture you see in a paint job. Kind of like it was applied with a paint roller.
__________________
I am not useless, I can still be used as a bad example!
Morepwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~
 
Hoddi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal ~
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post


I just attended an unveiling Saturday, and they had a silver 2LT with black stripes.

Maybe I'm seeing something different, but the shine, the way the light played off the body panels...it looked very nice.

Also, an employee had her black SS/RS there. And, as with the silver, it looked very nice.

Doing detail work, I payed close attention to what the paint looked like up close, and I was very impressed.

Both colors show very well on the 5th Gen.


As I said, everyone has their preference. Lets remember to respect other peoples choice/thoughts on color.




Waiting for my baby.....
SILVER SS/RS -- black leather -- sunroof
Hoddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #24
MrIcky

 
MrIcky's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,536
I would be willing to bet that most people who don't like silver on the Camaro don't like silver on cars period.

Have you ever noticed how many show cars (I mean like the NY Auto Show) are silver? It's because silver does tend to show lines better than any other color due to reflectivity indexes, it makes sharp lines really pop as it tends to be bright silver in perpendicular light and appears to drop to a darker hue off axis. For the same reason, it accentuates curves because it has better shows color gradients. It also implies technological sophistication.

Now, if you say the silver car just disappears against other colors of cars- that's you and your personal psychology, combined with the fact that there are too many silver cars on the road.

(edit, you can actually see this in example in the pics in this thread: go to moose's black car and you show high reflectivity in the left fender, but it still appears to be a reflection in black. Then go to Levi1922 and look at the silver in the signature line. The perceived color if you mask the hood off is much lighter on the right fender. Same goes for Indpowers Vette- hold your hand up so it covers the back- looks dark enough to almost be grey on the flank. High School art classes plus ICAR training on blending FTW lol)

Last edited by MrIcky; 05-15-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: for clarity
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?
What do you want them to do? Water based paints help stop the climate change menace Al Gore has been warning us of for years!!!!!!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*18* 2010 Camaro pics from Tampa (twin black and white camaros) Tran Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 122 03-10-2011 04:02 PM
Orange peel 69 Hugger Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 26 07-31-2010 06:17 PM
Finally seen Inferno Orange Metallic in person. Nitro Dave 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 75 05-05-2010 07:19 PM
Inferno Orange cars will have orange interior lighting Bewenched 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 48 11-12-2009 08:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.