Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #26
69 rs/ss

Drives: 1969 rs/ss & 2010 L99 #3747 4/28/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I am just wondering, on the highway with me varying speeds to the movie theater the over night only got 20MPG.

In town getting like 13-15MPG. She just hit 500 miles this morning. I sure hope it picks up some, this is worse than I thought it would be.
Scott, If you are driving in the Sport mode it will be less MPG.
69 rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
I would like to know what your previous cars got compared to the advertised MPG, was it higher? lower? What RPM's are you hitting? In my wifes 05 Corolla we can hit up to 3k RPM and still get the same gas mileage and go up to about 80 and get the same gas mileage. Anything beyond that it drops "exponentially".
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #28
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I think everyone (v6 or v8 owners) need to keep in mind the testing that is done to determine the EPA numbers. For example, highway numbers (max speed 60mph, max acceleration 3.2mph/sec, avg speed over 10.3mile trip 48.3mph). I'm sure none of us drive like that. At least we won't until gas creeps back up to $4-$5/gal again.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

It also really depends on the driver's foot. In my wife's Expedition, when I drive from our house to downtown Houston on nearly every Saturday morning, I average just over 19mpg but when my wife drives this same route in about the same amount of time it takes me, she averages just under 16mpg. I'm so used to driving in traffic everyday that I don't accelerate/decelerate as quickly as she does and I also tend to coast more rather than constantly pushing the gas pedal.

You mileage may get better as the miles roll by but you might need to adjust your driving style a bit to make more of an improvement.

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #29
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Are you running premium or regular? My dealer told me it would not hurt to run regular in the SS, but I do not know why anyone would do that. I believe Premium increases the mileage a bit, and obviously better performance.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #30
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Don't get anything containing alcohol. Alcohol kills MPG. I lose 3 mpg in my Silverado when I get 10% alky fuel. I normally get 19MPG when I keep my foot out of it. Buy 10% alky blend, and I get 16MPG. Good fuel pays for itself.

CITGO gas sux too. Terrible MPG. I don't know what they put in it, but it sux. I get serious pinging running it.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #31
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
I would first check your tires. My mom just bought an Impala and she was getting terrible mileage in it, well er, for an impala. I checked her tires and they were all above 40. Door asks for 32? So I put the tires to what the door and the manual says to put in it. She hasn't ran a tank of gas through it yet, so hopefully she gets better results. So far the computer is saying that we are breaking the 30's now consistently. I hope it is right.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #32
TStko
TKO

Drives: you crazy...
SS = performance
LS/LT1/LT2 = better gas mileage.

cars are like women, some are old, some are new, some get turned on easily some need a lot more help, some you just wanna drive into the river, some you can't wait to get inside of, some are expensive to maintain, some are low maintenance, however if you treat them right, you'll have her for the rest of your life.....
TStko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #33
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
You're buying a sports car and you're worried about mileage????? I'm happy as long as it's 2 digits!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #34
hellraiser

Drives: benz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEMARO View Post
I can't believe you would buy ab SS V8 and be worried about gas mileage.
hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #35
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Did you want a Hybrid, or a muscle car?

As far as I'm concerned... it's getting at least twice the mileage that my 77 Chevy gets.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #36
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I think everyone (v6 or v8 owners) need to keep in mind the testing that is done to determine the EPA numbers. For example, highway numbers (max speed 60mph, max acceleration 3.2mph/sec, avg speed over 10.3mile trip 48.3mph). I'm sure none of us drive like that. At least we won't until gas creeps back up to $4-$5/gal again.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

It also really depends on the driver's foot. In my wife's Expedition, when I drive from our house to downtown Houston on nearly every Saturday morning, I average just over 19mpg but when my wife drives this same route in about the same amount of time it takes me, she averages just under 16mpg. I'm so used to driving in traffic everyday that I don't accelerate/decelerate as quickly as she does and I also tend to coast more rather than constantly pushing the gas pedal.

You mileage may get better as the miles roll by but you might need to adjust your driving style a bit to make more of an improvement.
The way testing was done changed in 2008, they now accelerate faster, go up to higher speeds, and run the AC (among other things) to determine the new fuel economy for cars.

as for OP give it a little bit longer and see what happens. should go up a little once you get the car broken in
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #37
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
GM's LS series aluminum engines are notorious for gaining both mileage and power after a few thousand miles. Give it a little time to get broken in.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #38
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
It is a performance standard test. It is a guide for decision making. C'omon folks, that's why they use the disclaimer "Your Mileage May Vary."

Every new car I have owned (several) has loosened up quite a bit and mileage improved after 5-6k miles.

Also, it depends on how you drive. My daughter, (God Bless her!) is a speed demon. She hardly gets 30 MPG with her VW Jetta. She just about fell off the chair when I told her I have been averaging almost 34 MPG on some of our recent trips with my wife's Impala.

So, let her break in. Drive gently and I bet you can beat the EPA Highway ratings easily.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #39
westvanGT

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
I think it should improve...the first two weeks after I bought my Mustang the mileage
was terrible. That is probably mostly from enjoying the power a little too much

But, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, most of your milage has to
do with how you drive!

http://ecomodder.com/

I try my best at 'Drive without Brakes' and have really paid as much
attention as possilbe to tire-pressure, any extra junk in my car and
keeping the speeds lower on the highway.

As an example, I went over the Island last weekend, and the round trip I averaged 7.9 l/100km (almost 30mpg's i think)... I kept my speed on the highway right around 90-100kmh(just under 60mph).

Three weeks ago I did the same trip and averaged 10.1... It was from accellerating too fast and doin 140kmh plus pretty much the whole way up the island (speed limit is 110kmh).

Now I've really learned to do all the things that make my gas get me
that much farther(Over the last three tanks I've averaged just under 10l/100km in 80% city driving), so that when I want to step into it I don't have to
worry about the gas-gauge plunging.

The most important piece of the mileage component is the person driving!
westvanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #40
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
I would first check your tires. My mom just bought an Impala and she was getting terrible mileage in it, well er, for an impala. I checked her tires and they were all above 40. Door asks for 32? So I put the tires to what the door and the manual says to put in it. She hasn't ran a tank of gas through it yet, so hopefully she gets better results. So far the computer is saying that we are breaking the 30's now consistently. I hope it is right.
She should get better mileage with the 40 psi. Higher air pressure equals less rolling resistance equals better mpg.

As to the original question, in time the motor will make more power and you will get better mpg. I wouldn't worry about it, the manufacturer's estimates are usually spot on or even low. If you never achieve their estimates, it probably has more to do with your driving habits than anything else. I'm not being critical of your driving, just stating the most obvious culprit.

Either way, enjoy! 20 mpg and 400hp is pretty damn good!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #41
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
hey scott are you sure its not from you trying to do the burn outs? that would hurt the MPG

Anyway.. In my Trailblazer SS the mileage was horrible when I first got it... After the first oil change the mileage increased significantly I couldn't believe it but it did... most of the vehicles I have had have always gotten better mileage after it was broken in... Shouldn't be anything to worry about...

Oh and dont forget that revin the engine will also use a bit of gas too
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #42
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I remember reading in another thread that the engine will run a little richer for the first 1000 miles. Not sure how true that statement is, but I expect it to get better after the break-in period.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #43
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
You might pick up a few more once its broke in but not a lot. 13-15 in the city sounds about right. Yes gas milage is on peoples minds, otherwise GM wouldnt be boasting the gas mileage on it. And you can bet your ace if gas was 4 bucks a gallon these wouldnt be selling as hott and if gas does go up your going to see some trades ins. I wouldnt do it but you got to figure a lot of people dont always have the money to afford these cars and their upkeep.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #44
shinzon
Sith Lord

Drives: 2014 1LE 2ss
well..... Your Milage will get better .....Why you ask, two reasons:

1) the car- engine is brandy new with brandy new oil all around when the engine breaks in and the gears seat and find there place in life.

2) You ( most importantly) - you will develop a feel for the car know when to shift, know when to lift the pedal, know when how to brake, know how the car rolls, know your commute your hills and valleys....

You are the biggest factor in the milage. Become one with your beeeeeyooouuutiful car.

Previous Rides shout out:- 2010 2SS RS110kmi Traded in - 2000 z28 415 rwhp, 2004 GTO 380rwhp, 2000SS stock
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #45
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Regardless of what car the man bought he has every right to be concerned over gas mileage. If it were a Ferarri then I'd laugh, but this is a car priced to be within reach of most people including those effected by high gas prices. Fact is though this is a V8 with better milage than most others found in comparable vehicles. After a few comparisons made with competing cars with 6's it really doesn't matter that much because the discrepancies are negligible. I was on the fence forever, but after driving the V6 Cam I realized an 8 is truly the only way to go. For me.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #46
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Most vette's show increased fuel mileage after a several thousand miles, Camaro's could be the same. I noticed my MPG increased around the 7500 mile mark. It took my 08 Accord over 10K miles before I started getting the MPG I was expecting.

Roll up some more miles and keep careful logs. You'll see an improvement.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #47
camarokev
camaro #2449

Drives: 2010 iom 2ss/rs, 03 avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Did you want a Hybrid, or a muscle car?

As far as I'm concerned... it's getting at least twice the mileage that my 77 Chevy gets.
hehe, im sure theres some poor guy in a prius that will trade ya!!
Built: 4/2/09
Delivered: 6/10/09
camarokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #48
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
from what i have heard, the engines are set for a rich break in peroid, then it will lean down. id wait it out
Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #49
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
ya GM's vehicles, especially the V8's I have seen tend to get better mileage once you get around 10k mile mark. Most recent example..My dad bought a new 08 Silverado last September and we ended up driving cross country with it shortly after (maybe 2-3k miles only on the truck) and we averaged around 18mpg, and he does a fair amount of 300+mile trips once or twice a week ussually and was getting 18mpg on average for those as well.

I was talking with him the other day and he said on his hwy trips he is NOW averaging 20-21mpg (I am guessing he has around 10k miles on the truck now). That truck also has the AFM on it as well.

Give it time, she will do better, I am even going to say I gaurantee it!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #50
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
I can't believe that's all it's getting. My Corvette is getting realistically 30 on the highway in 6th gear. Please tell me these figures on the camaro are off?
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote