Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
TheDecon

Drives: 07 BMW 3359
DIY: No Drill GM Dovetail Spoiler (3M)

OK, so I was on the fence about the GM Dovetail spoiler due to the fact I had to drill into my quarter panels. After many sleepless nights I finally pulled the trigger

Anyways when I got the spoiler I installed the center piece in about 45 minutes with no trouble at all. Very easy install and very straight forward. There were was a small snap though. I took the stock SS spoiler off and after the 4 bolts there was a piece that was snapped into a hole in the deck lid. When I went to install the Dovetail spoiler I noticed I had to route the wiring through somewhere. I made the decision to snap the push in click on the dovetail spoiler off and route my wire through there. I honestly don't know what it's for either way when you have for bolts holding the thing on. Either way I routed the wire through there and moved on.

The main focus of this DIY is to show you how to put the spoiler on without drilling the two outer spoiler pieces on.

1st what I did was use nail polish remover on the side pieces and the quarter panels where the spoiler ends would be. This gets all the wax, dirt and everything off of it. Basically cleaning the surface for a good stick.

2nd I used the 3M double sided molding tape(grey bottom red backing) and covered the entire surface of the side pieces the best I could. However before I stuck them into place I used a heat gun to get them nice and hot and ready to stick. Once they were hot to the touch I put them on one by one. Then I switched piece of the spoiler and repeated that step. This gave time for the first side piece to settle with the tape on it.

3rd When the pieces were both fully covered I grabbed the third one and began removing all the red film of the 3M tape exposing the layer that would stick to the car. I walked over to the car with my heat gun and the spoiler end and heated both up to a warm/hot temp. At that point I lined up the end of the spoiler the edge of the quarter panel and the spoiler itself to the center piece. From there I pressed as hard as I could and held it for a minute. You only have a few moments if that to give it the final minor adjustments. Once it was done I went to the other side and repeated.

After being freaking pumped I went and got approx 40lbs of book and stuck them on top to test the hold. NOT EVEN A BUDGE! There is no way in hell this thing is coming off without some serious work and a ton of heat from a heat gun. Now they are on there and I jsut went 127 on the high way to see if it effected it at all. Nope!

NOTE! I used a cutting wheel to cut the two bolts off the spoiler ends and used a grinding wheel to grind the stumps of the bolts smooth. If you don't have these tools I suggest you take the pieces to a shop and pay them $5 to do it for you. Make sure they are smooth and not sticking out at all.

Let me know if you have any questions, it was super easy!

TheDecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Cpanthers85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Nice Write Up! Did you order it by color or did you get it matched by a body shop?

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
TheDecon

I ordered it painted from GM. It's still tight as ever with over 100 degree heat for weeks! Not even a budge!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
TheDecon

Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Lombardi

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 1LT
how does it mount compared to the stock spoiler? same holes in the trunk? i just drilled mine and added the stock spoiler but i like this one more...
Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Same holes...and if u do what he is saying...no others.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
TheDecon

Correct.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
TheDecon

all summer with heat, rain and car washes it's holding as strong as it did when I installed!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecon View Post
I ordered it painted from GM. It's still tight as ever with over 100 degree heat for weeks! Not even a budge!
Sucks When it does go in time. One day you will get out and hey where did my spoiler go!There is alot of force on these believe it or not, this is a functional spoiler not just for looks. They work so well that the Camaro teams in Grand Am use them now. It will generate between 50lbs - 100lbs and more of down force varing on vehicle speed. So thats why they want you to bolt them on. If tape would last GM would have used it hence less cost in labor and chance of screwing up! Hope it stays on for you.

Last edited by z28racer; 10-09-2012 at 03:00 PM.
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: ZL1
Knowing my luck it would fly off and go threw someones windshield or hit someone.

You got more balls than me. I wouldn't be able to stand the when factor involved with doing something like that.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
I'm glad mine is bolted on!
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
TheDecon

Only the side pieces are tapped on and I plan on replacing the tape late next year if I feel any movement. As of right now I'm glad I didn't have to drill holes into a vehicle simply for a spoiler. bahahahaha
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Bradrulz

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT IOM
How much did he painted spoiler cost you?
MRT2.0 with Helmholtz Pipes, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 4-Pack Gauges, Flat Black Stripes, Added Spare Tire Kit, Elite Catch Can, Chrome 20" Wheels, HUD, ABL Doors, GM Dovetail, Matte Black Gills, Rear Fascia Blackout
Bradrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: Prius
I'll get you some Elmer's glue so you can glue a hood scoop on.
Bumble.Bee is offline   Reply With Quote