Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
sprint17
 
Drives: 2012 ls
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: nc
Posts: 23
intake valves after 16k, no catch can.

Hey everyone, I have been on here for a while and decided to post my findings after what i saw today.

I have a 2012 camaro ls that is my daily driver to school and everything else. I bought the car the day it came off the truck and Lately not having a catch can has been bothering me, so today i decided to take the intake manifold off to see what the deal was. Being a college student and a sprint car driver doesn't leave a lot of extra cash around haha. but after today I'm defiantly going to order a catch can for mine when i get the extra cash. i thought about using a catch can we have in the shop but i don't know if it will work. Also is there any way to get the gunk off the valves? thanks Spencer

sorry about the pictures if there not great quality, i took them with my iPhone
Attached Images
       
sprint17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Red Jewel RS
 
Red Jewel RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 635
Wow! Catch can is my next purchase.
__________________
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,141
Why i got a catch can...

The pictures of my manifold were 12,xxx miles without a catch can and the pictures of the water bottle is what its caught between between 300-600 miles (its a garage queen)
Attached Images
    
__________________
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Catch can is next purchase. Tomorrow, pay day. Wow. Thanks for the pics this is a good wake up call.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 6,808
Yeah... just got mine and put it on Monday. I feel better but knowing my car had 4,500 miles on it when I bought it, I still wonder what the innerds look like - how much gunk accumulated.

Should I clean that crud out of the intake or will it eventually clear up now that I have a catch can?
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)
 
Monchy36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slatington, PA
Posts: 4,719
Best mod on my car! Give you a peace of mind!
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint17 View Post
Also is there any way to get the gunk off the valves?
take a can of Seafoam Deep Creep and spray the valves down and let it soak in.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
evolve
 
evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Posts: 498
What kind of gas do you use normally?
__________________
2003 Terminator
3.3L Lysholm and some bolt ons.
600+ rwhp on 93...
xxx rwhp on e85


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
May not feel the difference, but you can watch the other guy go by you! Football is a game of inches, muscle cars are a game of seconds...
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Green Dream Machine
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Waterloo, IA AUN
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
What kind of gas do you use normally?
Thats part of the problem, with the direct injection the gas does not travel over the valves. So all those fancy detergents wont do a thing to help clean out the crud built up from oil ingestion.
Kmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmorpheus View Post
Thats part of the problem, with the direct injection the gas does not travel over the valves. So all those fancy detergents wont do a thing to help clean out the crud built up from oil ingestion.

Correct. There are tons of advantages with the DI, but that is one disadvantage, and in the future (next few years) ALL motors will be DI.

This issue is so bad on some cars the heads have to be removed and the deposits cleaned manually.

The degradation of performance and fuel economy from this is gradual so most dont know what is going on in their motors, and this is a perfect example.

A seafoam (or dealer upper induction cleaning) will help loosen and remove some of the deposits, but not all.

A properly functioning catchcan is a must on all cars and light trucks today.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker
 
Crazyhorse6901's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hampton,Virginia 23661-1824
Posts: 300
I am interested in purchasing a catch can and would like some recommendations on a good quality unit. Thanks for your help...
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013
 
sycraft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse6901 View Post
I am interested in purchasing a catch can and would like some recommendations on a good quality unit. Thanks for your help...

RX all the way
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Silver bully
 
Silver bully's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Silver 2Lt
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 18
Hey everyone i have about 38000 miles on my camaro and was wondering if it's even worth it to put a catch can on. I'm sure my valves are coated with a bunch of gunk by now lol
Silver bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
carguyusa
 
carguyusa's Avatar
 
Drives: '71 Buick GSX- '12 2LT/RS-Silverado
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KY-USA
Posts: 56
I am glad I installed mine at the 250 mi mark.
carguyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker
 
Crazyhorse6901's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hampton,Virginia 23661-1824
Posts: 300
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
RX all the way
THX

Last edited by Crazyhorse6901; 06-08-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver bully View Post
Hey everyone i have about 38000 miles on my camaro and was wondering if it's even worth it to put a catch can on. I'm sure my valves are coated with a bunch of gunk by now lol
lol as tracy has mentioned upper induction cleaning to clean off the junk in there but i think its worth it in your case
__________________
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,776
Anyone knows how can that be cleaned off?
__________________
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Here was my intake when I took it off a few years ago before the can and blower.

Name:  100_1958.JPG
Views: 1210
Size:  134.0 KB
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Silver bully
 
Silver bully's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Silver 2Lt
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
lol as tracy has mentioned upper induction cleaning to clean off the junk in there but i think its worth it in your case
Ok thanks i missed that part of the thread sorry I'm still a noob here lol
Silver bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,031
Every car on the road does this. It's a side-effect of a PCV system that is operating normally. If the induction system isn't cleaned as a part of regular maintenance (every 15k miles, or so), you have a potential for a loss of performance, and even drivability issues. A good cleaning product runs around $10-$15 a can.

So what gain is there with the catch can? You're still losing oil to the can that will never be reused in the engine. They cost $100 - $200. What is the gain?

This isn't cost-effective. The gain, in my opinion, is equivilent to putting clothespins on your fuel lines to get better MPG. Yeah, some folks believe that works, too.

Snake oil...that's all it is. Flame away.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Every car on the road does this. It's a side-effect of a PCV system that is operating normally. If the induction system isn't cleaned as a part of regular maintenance (every 15k miles, or so), you have a potential for a loss of performance, and even drivability issues. A good cleaning product runs around $10-$15 a can.

So what gain is there with the catch can? You're still losing oil to the can that will never be reused in the engine. They cost $100 - $200. What is the gain?

This isn't cost-effective. The gain, in my opinion, is equivilent to putting clothespins on your fuel lines to get better MPG. Yeah, some folks believe that works, too.

Snake oil...that's all it is. Flame away.

LOL! Then why are the pictures posted of comparisons over extend miles show the good ones eliminate this issue? Or is it more cost effective in your opinion to pay $140-450 every 12-15k miles have the dealer do upper induction cleaning and still have the issue? The fuel savings alone pays for a good can in a year or less depending on the miles driven. The average improvement in fuel economy is 1-3 mpg....that adds up fast.

Explain in detail and if you can, list your qualifications and traing that lead you to believe this.

Also for those really concerned, most cans do little more than catch a portion of the oil....only a handfull actually trap most or all of the oil preventing this.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
LOL! Then why are the pictures posted of comparisons over extend miles show the good ones eliminate this issue? Or is it more cost effective in your opinion to pay $140-450 every 12-15k miles have the dealer do upper induction cleaning and still have the issue? The fuel savings alone pays for a good can in a year or less depending on the miles driven. The average improvement in fuel economy is 1-3 mpg....that adds up fast.

Explain in detail and if you can, list your qualifications and traing that lead you to believe this.

Also for those really concerned, most cans do little more than catch a portion of the oil....only a handfull actually trap most or all of the oil preventing this.
Firstly, my qualifications:

1. Associates degree in automotive technology
2. ASE Master Certification in A1-A8, plus L1
3. Ford Senior Master-Certified technician, the third tech in the nation to achieve this
4. 18 years as a professional drivability, engine, and electrical technician
5. Former drag and dirt track racer

Yeah, I'm qualified.

You can get a can of BG induction cleaner for $15. Anyone can learn how to apply the cleaner using nothing but a plain old vacuum hose. The results are 100% effective (no, I don't sell the stuff, and have nothing to gain by promoting it). If used every 15k miles, the throttle body, intake, valves, and even the tops of the pistons will be restored to like-new condition.

That said, over the course of 100,000 miles of driving, one would spend $100 to do what an expensive catch can does. Add to the fact that you are required to drain the can every few thousand miles, it makes the can method a less desireable option. As for your claim of MPG increase, there may be some fact there, but it's minimal at best.

Now, if someone wants to put something pretty under their hood, that's a different argument. But for those that have become unnecessarily paranoid about something that is completely normal, that's what a snake-oil saleman does: creates a need when there isn't one.

No personal offense intended. I'm just here to make sure that all the facts are laid out for other people's benefit. I read far to many false claims on this site, and because of my technical background and knowledge, I share what I know.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by strych9; 06-08-2012 at 04:48 PM.
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
Rangore

 
Rangore's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,033
I'm at 36k miles...I've been wanting to do this, but keep putting it off. :/
__________________
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #24
Camaro588
 
Drives: 2012 camaro LS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Albany N.Y.
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Firstly, my qualifications:

1. Associates degree in automotive technology
2. ASE Master Certification in A1-A8, plus L1
3. Ford Senior Master-Certified technician, the third tech in the nation to achieve this
4. 18 years as a professional drivability, engine, and electrical technician
5. Former drag and dirt track racer

Yeah, I'm qualified.

You can get a can of BG induction cleaner for $15. Anyone can learn how to apply the cleaner using nothing but a plain old vacuum hose. The results are 100% effective (no, I don't sell the stuff, and have nothing to gain by promoting it). If used every 15k miles, the throttle body, intake, valves, and even the tops of the pistons will be restored to like-new condition.

That said, over the course of 100,000 miles of driving, one would spend $100 to do what an expensive catch can does. Add to the fact that you are required to drain the can every few thousand miles, it makes the can method a less desireable option. As for your claim of MPG increase, there may be some fact there, but it's minimal at best.

Now, if someone wants to put something pretty under their hood, that's a different argument. But for those that have become unnecessarily paranoid about something that is completely normal, that's what a snake-oil saleman does: creates a need when there isn't one.

No personal offense intended. I'm just here to make sure that all the facts are laid out for other people's benefit. I read far to many false claims on this site, and because of my technical background and knowledge, I share what I know.
a slow clap....leading to a fast and loud clap! LOL! well played sir!
Camaro588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6
 
Can't_C_Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oxford, GA
Posts: 3,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Firstly, my qualifications:

1. Associates degree in automotive technology
2. ASE Master Certification in A1-A8, plus L1
3. Ford Senior Master-Certified technician, the third tech in the nation to achieve this
4. 18 years as a professional drivability, engine, and electrical technician
5. Former drag and dirt track racer

Yeah, I'm qualified.

You can get a can of BG induction cleaner for $15. Anyone can learn how to apply the cleaner using nothing but a plain old vacuum hose. The results are 100% effective (no, I don't sell the stuff, and have nothing to gain by promoting it). If used every 15k miles, the throttle body, intake, valves, and even the tops of the pistons will be restored to like-new condition.

That said, over the course of 100,000 miles of driving, one would spend $100 to do what an expensive catch can does. Add to the fact that you are required to drain the can every few thousand miles, it makes the can method a less desireable option. As for your claim of MPG increase, there may be some fact there, but it's minimal at best.

Now, if someone wants to put something pretty under their hood, that's a different argument. But for those that have become unnecessarily paranoid about something that is completely normal, that's what a snake-oil saleman does: creates a need when there isn't one.

No personal offense intended. I'm just here to make sure that all the facts are laid out for other people's benefit. I read far to many false claims on this site, and because of my technical background and knowledge, I share what I know.
I don't know what your seeing but many others and I on here have done before and after. I have done it on both my cars and my can catch's the oil and my IM stays clean. Why pay anything every few miles when you can avoid it all by buying a good catch can? Yes your qualified I guess, but your argument misses the point of the thread. Which is to avoid the oil not clean it up every few miles
__________________
Can't_C_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.