Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Stupid question (once again). Can you wash too much?

So I just got my car's exterior professionally detailed because I wanted to see how it would look so I can start doing it myself. My problem is that I live on a long dirt road so dust builds up quickly (requiring a least two washes a week). The detailer told me the sealant/wax should last 2-3 months but will frequent washings (using Adam's products of course) reduce that time?
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
if done properly.....no, it won't.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Actually it can, the more exposure the vehicle has to the elements and more contact it has such as washing, the less time the wax will last.

The same applies to rain, the more rain you have the less time it will last. I use Zaino and it normally last 6 months before I have to reapply but if we have a wet season during that time it will only last 5 or less.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
So I just got my car's exterior professionally detailed because I wanted to see how it would look so I can start doing it myself. My problem is that I live on a long dirt road so dust builds up quickly (requiring a least two washes a week). The detailer told me the sealant/wax should last 2-3 months but will frequent washings (using Adam's products of course) reduce that time?
Yes and No. They are some washes out there that will strip the LSP you have on there quicker then others. But by maintaining the finish yourself using a QD that has the same properties that the LSP you use will help you in the long run in durability. Driving on a dirt road will required you to work more for your car with frequent washing's ( top to bottom ) to remove all the dirt that get's into every part of exterior of your car. You didn't say if you garage your car or not and do you have to drive it in the winter. I recommend to detail it top to bottom twice a year so the finish its protected with durable products that will last for you where your at.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Agreed!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
topscomindown!

Drives: 2012 Black Convertible 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
Thats not a stupid question
Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by topscomindown! View Post
Thats not a stupid question
Agreed again!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
I cannot beleive some people post this kind of stuff....come on!
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Spot on answer. Everything will hinge more on your technique than anything else.

If you follow good wash practices and use a pH neutral soap to minimize the degradation to your protective coating you'll be fine.

Only tip I'd offer is pay close attention to how the water behaves on the paint as time goes on. A fresh sealant or wax coating will reduce the surface tension and the water will bead up in nice tight circles. Over time, even the best waxes and sealants are going to start to break down due to exposure to sun, heat, water, etc. As they do this the surface tension begins to climb and the water will bead less and less. Pay attention to what the water does during your final rinse each time you wash.

When you notice that the water is no longer beading like it did early on, or if the water goes flat/sticks to the surface its time to refresh your protective product with a new coat.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Taking this a step further... Bad washing technique is down right dangerous for paint. It can take 5-10 hours to polish (sometimes more) out the marks left by one bad wash. When you polish you are basically taking the high spots around the scratches (swirl marks) and removing them. So when you are polishing out wash marks, you are removing all the paint that bad wash didn't get.

Which begs the question, which removes more paint: Bad washing or polishing?

Many people are fearful of polishing the paint with a machine (correcting the damage) but will downright abuse their paint when they wash it.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Thanks for the advice.

The car is garaged so it has exposure to the elements only when I drive on my weekends. I know what you mean about bad washes. I had it washed twice at the dealership over a two days, when they needed to keep the car to put a protective coat underneath and apply the 3M bra (I bought the car during the beginning of our very long winter melt). When I finally got it home to wash myself (had to use a poormans two bucket with 3M products until the Adams came in) and noticed tons of swirl marks and scratches from the dealers wash jobs. This is my first brand new car so I never thought about scratching the paint while washing...the detailer took 5 hours to seal and wax because of three major scratches I noticed and had removed. Since getting home this past Saturday I have not had a chance to wash (been raining everyday and the car sits comfortably in the garage) but notice the dirt does not cling to the car as bad as it did before to detail...
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote