Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Ajmalian

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, '11 GMC Denali
Camaro vehicle on navigation screen

Somewhere here earlier I had seen a thread regarding having a camaro car on TomTom's instead of the the traditional red directional arrow. I have a Kenwood DNX7310BT (Asian market equivalent of DNX9990HD). In the navigation in the Kenwood, I can change the type of icon that represents my car. It can be a red arrow, a plane, a truck, a 350Z (at least it looks like one) and I think a mustang (white coupe with baby blue racing stripes.) Does anybody know if I can upload/install a picture of a camaro and use that as a GPS rep of my car on the navigation screen?

I hope you guys understand what i mean...
Ajmalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Hi Ajmalain, I'm the one that mad the DIY for putting the different icons in a TOM TOM.

To do this with your unit, what I would do would be to contact Kenwood and ask them if that unit has the capability of being able to install or insert new icons. but unless you have the ability to either upload it from a flash drive and have a menu that allows the changes....or the ability to hook up a laptop via the usb to do a similar thing.....what you would need to be able to do is to access the file directory within the nav system to insert/install the new Camaro Icon.

I did find out that the Nav system is actually a GARMIN....so maybe it could be done....as regular Garmins, depending on the model, can do a simalar thing as the Tom Tom's, good luck.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 06-11-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Ajmalian

A couple of questions Sir Nuke,

1. Would you know how the uploading of new icons on garmins is done?

2. Do you have a pic of the camaro you are using in the Tom Tom's?
Just so that I am ready and prepared with the stuff I have to upload if and when garmin/kenwood come thru about uploading new icons on to the device.

And also, thank you for your above reply.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmalian View Post
A couple of questions Sir Nuke,

1. Would you know how the uploading of new icons on garmins is done?

2. Do you have a pic of the camaro you are using in the Tom Tom's?
Just so that I am ready and prepared with the stuff I have to upload if and when garmin/kenwood come thru about uploading new icons on to the device.

And also, thank you for your above reply.
1. I'm not familar with the requirments of the images or exactly how a regular garmain is configured, but I am farily sure its simalar as the Tom Tom.

2. As noted in #1, the image in a Tom Tom has to be made a very spaific size and file format.....the one I made for myself is that of MY CAR....I took an actual picture of my car to make the icon.

Once you find out whether or not you can do it, you will need to find out the specifics as to the icons size, its file format and any special things needed to build your icon. you can most likely build yours the same what as detailed in the instructions in my DIY link in my first post.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Ajmalian

I'll definitely keep in touch with you for the above once I hear from Kenwood and Garmin. Thanks very much!!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmalian View Post
I'll definitely keep in touch with you for the above once I hear from Kenwood and Garmin. Thanks very much!!
not a problem.....I'll help however I can.....adn you know where to find me!! lol