Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #141
Fraxum

Drives: 2016 SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
I think they (the media) should draw up a prime-time slot on TV and line 'em up on VIR. Put 5 ZL1s vs. 5 GT500's with pro racers. I'd buy it on PPV. I'd even place my bet on the winner.
I would so rent that. The winner wouldn't matter to me.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #142
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I would so rent that. The winner wouldn't matter to me.
Agreed.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #143
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Doesn't negate the fact that 4/10s faster to 60 is still a big deal. On smaller tires. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the GT500 on the roadcourse yet. Time will tell which one eill be faster in the hands of an experienced driver.
You could be right. We all need to start practicing.

But for most drivers the easier to drive ZL1 would be the road course choice for the occasional track day guy or girl.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #144
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
Sorry, I don't buy it. Although I respect and understand your logic.

If the gt500 was the superior car on the road track then the Inside Line review is way way way off-base.

I think they (the media) should draw up a prime-time slot on TV and line 'em up on VIR. Put 5 ZL1s vs. 5 GT500's with pro racers. I'd buy it on PPV. I'd even place my bet on the winner.
Drawing conclusions about what these two will do on a road course from back roads testing and the typical mag figures is naive. The ZL1 will have higher cornering speeds and the gt500 will brake and accelerate more quickly. The zl1 is more confidence inspiring, specifically on "real" roads with bumps. None of this adds up to one or the other being faster on a road course. Somebody will put these two cars on the same track on the same day at some point, that's when we'll know.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #145
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Drawing conclusions about what these two will do on a road course from back roads testing and the typical mag figures is naive. The ZL1 will have higher cornering speeds and the gt500 will brake and accelerate more quickly. The zl1 is more confidence inspiring, specifically on "real" roads with bumps. None of this adds up to one or the other being faster on a road course. Somebody will put these two cars on the same track on the same day at some point, that's when we'll know.
I think it will be any given day for either car on a road course. I could be wrong as I and most on C5 or other sites haven't been behind the wheel of either. Ill be watching for the testing though!
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #146
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Conclusions is about all most of us can do, i mean i don't own a zl1 or a GT500 do you? only a few have access to both cars at the same time to know exactly how they drive. So we can only assume based on the testing.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #147
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Conclusions is about all most of us can do, i mean i don't own a zl1 or a GT500 do you? only a few have access to both cars at the same time to know exactly how they drive. So we can only assume based on the testing.
Wait, except for this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl11952 View Post
My Yellow ZL1 auto should be at the dealer this week, it is at the rail/truck transfer yard. I am trying to figure out now what color/stripe combo I am going to get for a 2013 GT500. Glad I waited but still no auto for us old guys.
Zl11952, you are getting both? Your forum name should be ZL113GT500!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #148
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Wait, except for this guy:

Zl11952, you are getting both? Your forum name should be ZL113GT500!
what dream to own both.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #149
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Assuming based on testing is one thing when you consider all the data instead of just the parts that suit your conclusion. Like I said, on the one hand you have the zl1 which has a considerable handling advantage and on the other hand you have the gt500 which has a considerable accelerating and marginal braking advantage. Road racing is a combination of handling, accelerating, and decelerating, not just handling. Screwing around on imperfect, public roads and the more confidence-inspiring car being faster does not mean the same outcome on the track. I am sure we can all agree that both cars would be driven way, way harder on track than on some public roads.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #150
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Doesn't negate the fact that 4/10s faster to 60 is still a big deal. On smaller tires. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the GT500 on the roadcourse yet. Time will tell which one eill be faster in the hands of an experienced driver.
Operative word being experienced. Pro vs Pro, average vs average, experienced vs experienced...results will be the same. Prost said the ZL1 bested the Boss, so how will the GT500 be able to beat the ZL1 on a road course given the "same driver, same course, same conditions" scenario? Now, if you put the Boss suspension on the GT500, it would be close, but again with the GT500's power levels it will make be difficult, even with an experienced driver. Feathering the throttle around turns at speed will lose time. Going into a turn at speed, you may push and exiting a turn, you will break loose, losing time. It's not going to be fun...or maybe it will.

GT500 - great for the 1/4 mile track
ZL1 - great for road course and the road.

Yes...I'm bias toward the ZL1, but I want both cars for the purpose above.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #151
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
This is just about what I expected from the comparison.
At a dragstrip, I think both et's would have been a little better.
So it's not the quickest, it's still a great car. Nice job GM.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #152
YouseeSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
12.7 @ 114 mph is pretty embarrassing.
Where did you get 12.7 @ 114?

"Our best pass was 12.4 seconds at 116.1 mph."
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #153
mlee
Charter Circle Member

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Pretty much sums it up right there...

"It's not the $5,815 cost advantage that wins the comparison test for the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. It's this car's ability to fight above its weight class that makes it undeniably more attractive. It's virtually unprecedented that a car with such a dramatic power deficit and weight disadvantage could come out ahead.

So in other words, we were wrong. When it comes to pony cars, it's not always about horsepower. At least not anymore."
Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #154
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
It's not naive at all. This may be the first h2h review, but virtually all the other zl1 reviews say the same thing - the zl1 has impressive handling (for a muscle car). And these include full road course reviews. This h2h review is simply another argument to support the theory until we have more h2h road course tests.

As for brakes, they both stopped very close together. The zl1 is heavier but it has 2 piece front rotors and brake ducts which should help offset the extra heat. So I don't think the shelby has a brake advantage.

The shelby has slightly poorer front/rear weight distribution too. But the cornering advantage is already with the zl1.

Acceleration advantage is definitely with the shelby. But will it be enough?

Edit: Actually I just read (correct me I'm wrong) the 2013 shelby does not have a front brake duct option. I suppose its an easy mod however.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500