Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #171
rpepka

 
rpepka's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 965
Stage 2.... please
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #172
tnspd

 
tnspd's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Well, keep in mind the Shelby did an 11.9 with launch control and the ZL1 did a 12.7 with launch control. They ran the 12.4 without launch control.
11.9, most drivers will not hit that for sometime until they figure out how to launch it. The guy did say the Shelby was harder to launch.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #173
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
The guy said the Shelby was alot harder to launch. My ZL1 is easy to launch. Put it in sport 4 or race 5, leave traction control on if you want and it goes. take traction control off and you just need to push the gas slow or it will break loose.
Harder to launch probably due to lighter car and more HP, he didn't mention Launch Control, but probably used it...pushing on the gas slow to hold traction will make any car easy to launch but not necessarily be the fastest launch. It's going to take practice (w/ 60' times at a track) to figure out the best combo which probably won't be the easiest.

Just like Erik @ Torq did on the Autocross... After trial and error he turned everything off and drove in touring mode to achieve his best lap times. There's a lot to practice and learn with either of these cars which is going to equal nothing but fun.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #174
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,176
My '13 is absolutely horrible on the road. That's why I'm going to stick to the quarter mile most of the time.
__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #175
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
My '13 is absolutely horrible on the road. That's why I'm going to stick to the quarter mile most of the time.
You mean Ugly... not horrible right..


inside j/k
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #176
alaskacamaro
 
alaskacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 646
Glad to finally see some real comparison tests written down. I am not really surprised at the outcome, and not just because I own a Camaro....

I'm still new to pony cars but it seems like everyone measures a car in it's ability to achieve a fast 1/4 mile and nothing else. Raw horsepower isnt everything (Think GT-R here) when I think of a fast car but on how the car is engineered to maximize that power. If I wanted a car that was super quick in a straight line only, neither the Camaro nor the Mustang would be my first choice.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #177
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You mean Ugly... not horrible right..


inside j/k
I drive it in camo all the time so nobody has to see me in it.

Almost makes me throw up

__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #178
tnspd

 
tnspd's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Harder to launch probably due to lighter car and more HP, he didn't mention Launch Control, but probably used it...pushing on the gas slow to hold traction will make any car easy to launch but not necessarily be the fastest launch. It's going to take practice (w/ 60' times at a track) to figure out the best combo which probably won't be the easiest.

Just like Erik @ Torq did on the Autocross... After trial and error he turned everything off and drove in touring mode to achieve his best lap times. There's a lot to practice and learn with either of these cars which is going to equal nothing but fun.
Agreed, practice and learning equals nothing but fun!
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #179
tnspd

 
tnspd's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
I drive it in camo all the time so nobody has to see me in it.

Almost makes me throw up

I wouldn't even drive it, just cover it with a trap lol.....nice ride!
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #180
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
I wouldn't even drive it, just cover it with a trap lol.....nice ride!


EDIT: Also, thanks! I negated many options and kept the price at 56,940
__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #181
tnspd

 
tnspd's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
too funny
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #182
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
I drive it in camo all the time so nobody has to see me in it.

Almost makes me throw up
I just couldn't resist... last time I saw that car it had a sticker in the window...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Agreed, practice and learning equals nothing but fun!
I've used launch control and no lift shift and I think all off like the SS will be the way to go. Just need to get to the track and prove it.

Enjoy your ride... both of you..
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #183
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
I'm still new to pony cars but it seems like everyone measures a car in it's ability to achieve a fast 1/4 mile and nothing else. Raw horsepower isnt everything (Think GT-R here) when I think of a fast car but on how the car is engineered to maximize that power. If I wanted a car that was super quick in a straight line only, neither the Camaro nor the Mustang would be my first choice.
Well ya.....that's the whole point of muscle cars. They are heavy, cheap, big v8's with great 1/4 mile times. If handling is what you want, then a lighter 2 seater is better suited for the job. It's just that handling on muscle cars these days just happens to be a bonus.

If I wanted a track car, then I would looking at a corvette. Not a 4000+ lb ZL1.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #184
tnspd

 
tnspd's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I just couldn't resist... last time I saw that car it had a sticker in the window...

I've used launch control and no lift shift and I think all off like the SS will be the way to go. Just need to get to the track and prove it.

Enjoy your ride... both of you..
It will be at the track this Saturday. Camaros for Heroes event. Just got make sure I drive it faster than the wife.....
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #185
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
It will be at the track this Saturday. Camaros for Heroes event. Just got make sure I drive it faster than the wife.....
What a super great cause... hope you guys do well..

Wife + ZL1 + Track =
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #186
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,683
I think I like this quote the most, something you will hardly ever hear a Mustang member of this forum say.

Quote:
So in other words, we were wrong. When it comes to pony cars, it's not always about horsepower. At least not anymore.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 06-12-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #187
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I think I like this quote the most, something you will hardly ever hear a member of this forum say.
We've all been saying a version of that for months...
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.