Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #801
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
If there's any brake advantage I'd give it to the ZL1. For whatever reason brake feel in Mustangs does not inspire the confidence that the numbers should supply.
I'm surprised they didn't spend the few extra $ for the Brembo rears. I'm sure it is the difference your looking for.

I just noticed the number on your hood really cool! Any more pics? BTW, I like the 2012 front better on the Boss than the 2013.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #802
SSmoked

 
SSmoked's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: O' Canada
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm surprised they didn't spend the few extra $ for the Brembo rears. I'm sure it is the difference your looking for.
Theres a reason for that and its because of the SRA. i cant remember exactly but the side to side motion of the axle move the brake pads around causing squoishy pedal and a dely in braking power. Mustang guys feel free to add or take away as im not 100% sure i remember reading a SVT member write a post on a mustang fourm awhile ago.

Im not gonna take this review to heart. ill wait to motortrend is done throwing around the Shelby and ZL1 around Laguna Seca to declare a winner. but the typical mentaility is shelby in the striaghts and ZL1 in the turns.
__________________
SSmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #803
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
If you really want a 5Gen Z28 hold on a little longer. Remember the every 6 month release for the Camaro. Also it will have to be announced soon as time is running out.
I hope so.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #804
PistonsFan
 
Drives: 08 CTS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Why is there an assumption that handling's only important if one is racing all out or on a road course? A car's handling allows one to be more confident on turns and rough surfaces at all speeds. It is always important.
Exactly!
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #805
Fenderaddict2

 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Cost is where it's at. Every time I do a track day, I'm out at a MINIMUM $300. Not to mention how taxing it is on your brakes and tires. Drag strip is $10 bucks, you run all night, and wears a tiny amount of your tires. Good to go.
You have to think of track days as comparable to golf at which point you see it for what it is, great value for your money and a whole lot more fun way to spend the day. Also check into after work runs, TMS is 99 bucks from 6 to dusk.
__________________





What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #806
Fenderaddict2

 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm surprised they didn't spend the few extra $ for the Brembo rears. I'm sure it is the difference your looking for.

I just noticed the number on your hood really cool! Any more pics? BTW, I like the 2012 front better on the Boss than the 2013.
Vinyl numbers. Thanks. Had them on for a show and shine for fun. Funnily enough I prefer the look of the '13 but love the fact that the '12 Boss was more unique overall. Ideally I will have one of each. As for the Brembos on the rear, the really aren't needed but the bite and pedal feel could me more positive than it is to really inspire confidence. It takes me a lot of runs to feel in my brakes and start running hero laps. And even then I usually back off after a few of those because of lack of feedback. Considering a change for feel rather than a performance upgrade.
__________________





What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #807
Fenderaddict2

 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Why is there an assumption that handling's only important if one is racing all out or on a road course? A car's handling allows one to be more confident on turns and rough surfaces at all speeds. It is always important.
Granted handling is important everywhere but to exceed comfortable handling limits in my car would require speeds 3x the posted limits and then some. Driven within the law both of these cars will be confidence inspiring. The ZL1 will amaze more on how it manages so much mass, especially if you come from an SS. The GT500 is less of a relegation coming from an already nimble GT.
__________________





What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #808
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Vinyl numbers. Thanks. Had them on for a show and shine for fun. Funnily enough I prefer the look of the '13 but love the fact that the '12 Boss was more unique overall. Ideally I will have one of each. As for the Brembos on the rear, the really aren't needed but the bite and pedal feel could me more positive than it is to really inspire confidence. It takes me a lot of runs to feel in my brakes and start running hero laps. And even then I usually back off after a few of those because of lack of feedback. Considering a change for feel rather than a performance upgrade.
Maybe better brake fluid lines?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #809
29er

 
29er's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,314
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #810
kbar4782
 
kbar4782's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Whitesville, NY
Posts: 265
[QUOTE=Fenderaddict2;5148777]Vinyl numbers. Thanks. Had them on for a show and shine for fun. Funnily enough I prefer the look of the '13 but love the fact that the '12 Boss was more unique overall. Ideally I will have one of each. As for the Brembos on the rear, the really aren't needed but the bite and pedal feel could me more positive than it is to really inspire confidence. It takes me a lot of runs to feel in my brakes and start running hero laps. And even then I usually back off after a few of those because of lack of feedback. Considering a change for feel rather than a performance upgrade.[/

I don't know if it's the usual "new" body style of most vehicles, but I don't like the looks of the 2013 GT's as much.
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #811
PistonsFan
 
Drives: 08 CTS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Granted handling is important everywhere but to exceed comfortable handling limits in my car would require speeds 3x the posted limits and then some. Driven within the law both of these cars will be confidence inspiring. The ZL1 will amaze more on how it manages so much mass, especially if you come from an SS. The GT500 is less of a relegation coming from an already nimble GT.
But...... ya don't have to exceed the handling limits of a car to feel the benefits of a well designed suspension.
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #812
Supercamaro64
Right, right.
 
Supercamaro64's Avatar
 
Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,346
Im not suprised with the results. The mustang has a significant amount of power over the camaro, but it doesnt have the suspension to compete with the zl1.
__________________
"You wanna lay the fate of the world on the kids camaro? Thats cool."
"When reporters asked what it was, one official stated, 'It's a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs.'"
The Creampuff Fleet-
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #813
Fenderaddict2

 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
But...... ya don't have to exceed the handling limits of a car to feel the benefits of a well designed suspension.
Agree. The thing is you can really feel the improvement in the ZL1 over the standard Camaro, well at least I'd have to guess because the ZL1 is being recognized for great handling while the standard SS I tried handled like a... Nevermind, don't want to start a fight. In the same manner the Mustang with track pack felt like an improvement over the car before it, and the Boss an improvement on that. But a dramatic leap is bound to impress Testers more than an evolution. So while I think it's correct to give the handling nod to the ZL1 it's not like the Shelby is crap, it's just it's an evolution rather than a revolution and it's not as adaptive in real time as the MR suspension. Clear win to ZL1 but not a complete loss to the GT500 if you see what I'm getting at.

Heck, re-reading my own post I'm not sure I made my point that clearly. Long day, time to call it. Chat tomorrow folks.
__________________





What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #814
LeviG
 
LeviG's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Acura Integra GSR
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 157
Geez, the Ford fans in here are such pricks!

(Not a response to Fenderaddict2's post above, just an observation of some others in here)
__________________
They tell me I have ADD, but they just don't underst... Hey look! A Camaro!


LeviG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #815
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Agree. The thing is you can really feel the improvement in the ZL1 over the standard Camaro, well at least I'd have to guess because the ZL1 is being recognized for great handling while the standard SS I tried handled like a... Nevermind, don't want to start a fight. In the same manner the Mustang with track pack felt like an improvement over the car before it, and the Boss an improvement on that. But a dramatic leap is bound to impress Testers more than an evolution. So while I think it's correct to give the handling nod to the ZL1 it's not like the Shelby is crap, it's just it's an evolution rather than a revolution and it's not as adaptive in real time as the MR suspension. Clear win to ZL1 but not a complete loss to the GT500 if you see what I'm getting at.

Heck, re-reading my own post I'm not sure I made my point that clearly. Long day, time to call it. Chat tomorrow folks.
I thought you made the point really clear.

Going 1 to 3 to 10 is going to feel more impressive than going 3-7-9

The shock factor of how well this Z handles compared to the standard SS is just another reason it's reviewing so well.

I'd imagine, had Ford not produced the Boss last year, the ZL1 would be utterly 'untouchable' in a lot of peoples eyes. Not that it's not a well rounded car,'but at least the Boss gives reviewers something to compare it to.

I have a strange feeling a Brembo/3.73 GT wouldn't fare as well as the Laguna Seca did in their comparison.
__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #816
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 3,983
Automobile Magazine now has track times from Gingerman...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231690
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #817
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 986
Quote:
But...... ya don't have to exceed the handling limits of a car to feel the benefits of a well designed suspension.
No you don't, but how a car reacts when you exceed its handling limits matters. It's taken into the handling equation.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #818
DanSS24

 
DanSS24's Avatar
 
Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 808
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Automobile Magazine now has track times from Gingerman...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231690
Thank you...I was going to direct them to the new thread. Interesting read.
__________________
I'd rather chase speeders and bad guys with a Z/28 than my R/T Charger
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #819
Lawhand
 
Drives: Orange Death
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to Lawhand
And the only thing that this proves is the Corvette ZR1 is twice as good as both of these :-).
Lawhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #820
Long Carbine
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
Went to the ford dealership today u can't get the gt500 for under 60. Sorry won't happen.


---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xakk3q
I looked on the net and there are GT500's selling for sticker and some were in the $54k range with no opitions. As soon as they flood the market they will be add fully optioned for well below $60k. I paid $47k for a 2010 with a sticker of $53.3K for a car they just rolled off the showroom floor.
Long Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #821
Long Carbine
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhand View Post
And the only thing that this proves is the Corvette ZR1 is twice as good as both of these :-).
Twice the price, why wouldn't it?
Long Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #822
Long Carbine
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
Im not suprised with the results. The mustang has a significant amount of power over the camaro, but it doesnt have the suspension to compete with the zl1.
I think you will be dissappointed when we get the results from MT.
Long Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #823
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Carbine View Post
I think you will be dissappointed when we get the results from MT.
When will those results come out?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #824
PistonsFan
 
Drives: 08 CTS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
But...... ya don't have to exceed the handling limits of a car to feel the benefits of a well designed suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
No you don't, but how a car reacts when you exceed its handling limits matters. It's taken into the handling equation.
Of course. You're missing the point of the post. Many people keep suggesting that the handling difference doesn't matter because most owners won't track their car. But that couldn't be further from the truth. (and this isn't directed at Fenderaddict, just a general statement)

Anyone who's driven a car with exceptional handling knows it's a blast to drive on and off the track. A well designed suspension will delay the onset of body roll and feel like it's driving on rails - regardless of how hard you are pushing it. There's a reason why the reviewers couldn't say enough about how much they preferred driving the ZL1 on the street...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideLine
"On the road, the Camaro will rotate as commanded when its wheel is turned. In other words, there's less understeer in the ZL1 which, coupled with better steering feel, makes it more trustworthy. Perhaps most significant is that, in the real world, where bumps too often occur in less-than-ideal locations, the Camaro is more confident."
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #825
john2000car
American_Chevy
 
Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2LT RS+
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Albany, IN
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Have your ever driven on Highway 1 between Carmel and Big Sir? If not, it's worth the trip.
Oh man! Like to do it again sometime. I have driven north on Highway 1 (at the time in my 1973 Camaro too) from San Luis Obispo ?sp back to Monterey. Totally fantastic and amazing scenic ride.

By the way, if driving south (outside lane and too near the drop off to the ocean below) on the same road, I would certainly feel more comfortable in a Camaro than a Mustang.

Brings back great memories.
john2000car is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.