Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #681
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HpJunkie69 View Post
Race weight meaning driver.This would put the Shelby at a little over 4k. Like the other guy said. Cars dont drive themselves
Yet Well, unless you count this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP9ALh9lOMM&feature=youtu.be
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #682
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There were 69 ZL1s built in 1969. It's rare, not legendary.
WRONG!!!
2cnd chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #683
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Race weight meaning driver.This would put the Shelby at a little over 4k. Like the other guy said. Cars dont drive themselves
Really???
Then I would expect consistency in ones post.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #684
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
WRONG!!!
How so?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #685
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
How so?
1969 Camaro ZL1 Grumpy's Toy

Also, how many high performance all aluminum big blocks could you purchase from the factory in 1969?

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 06-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #686
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
1969 Camaro ZL1 Grumpy's Toy

Also, how many high performance all aluminum big blocks could you purchase from the factory in 1969?
That's the thing. You couldn't just order a ZL1 Camaro. It existed because people knew how to work the system.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #687
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
That's the thing. You couldn't just order a ZL1 Camaro. It existed because people knew how to work the system.
That's really a SAD response. I'm out!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #688
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Seriously?? How much power would a ZL1 make with 13psi and no other mod?? Im doubting over 600rwhp. In that case it still wouldnt beat a GT500.

But wait. Lets take the weight out of the Shelby and up the boost and we're right back where ae started. Its a never ending cycle.
I will be honest to me $$$ is $$$. I see people trying to screw this agrument in 10,000 different ways but here is reality that I went through when my order got pushed as I looked at both again.

GT500 54,995
ZL1 56,295 after GG

now if you want to go fast in a strait line you stop here all things being equal and say the shelby is the better bang for the buck period any money you spend on going fast in a strait line at this point the shelby will most likly have the bang for the buck unless you want an auto then it would be expensive to add. Camaro guys will make it sound competive but it is not without mods it gets blown away.

now say I like the corners a bit and want a better suspention package(which I do in the ford world that makes me gay or something but it does not change the fact like a good handling car)

GT500 w/PP 58,450
ZL1 56,295 after GG

here you paid some money to up the handling now the shelby costs more if you spent the same money on the ZL1 it will lap faster. 2k would have cai, tune, heat exchanger.

GT500 w/PP and TP 61,450
ZL1 56,296 after GG

now you have a car you can lap at track days a bit more comfortably but you just spend 5k more. at this point you could have a ZL1 that outpowerd the shelby if you chose so and wrenched on the car yourself. 5k buys heads, cam, heat echanger, pulleys, tune cai etc almost any combination of mods you wanted really. ford does not even hint the waranty will apply at the track on the streat though the GT500 would still have waranty and your ZL1 would not.

So me as a car enthusiest not a brand enthusiest and liking more than just drag racing there is no magic bang for the buck on these cars. they are very equal per $$ spent if you want the track oriented mods.

as much as people want to play around I feel $$ for $$ they both are righ there so I defaulted to the car I like the looks of bette which is totaly subjective and could go either way.

now if I liked the look of the shelby better I would have went that way and instead of playing with power you would most likly spend some money refining the supension and setup a bit as power mods per $$ would not give you the same return.

now a brand biased person just comes to the other camps website and makes up a bunch of crap but since cars cost $$$ I used it as the basis form my decision not bias. I still feel these cars are awesome enought that if you liked the looks of one over the other just buy that one.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #689
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
who cares if it's 200 or 300 pounds difference. the zl1 is too heavy. shit the gt 500 is too heavy.
Cars in general are too heavy. We need more of Colin Chapman's thinking.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #690
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
There were 69 ZL1s built in 1969. It's rare, not legendary.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #691
Deki

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I will be honest to me $$$ is $$$. I see people trying to screw this agrument in 10,000 different ways but here is reality that I went through when my order got pushed as I looked at both again.

GT500 54,995
ZL1 56,295 after GG

now if you want to go fast in a strait line you stop here all things being equal and say the shelby is the better bang for the buck period any money you spend on going fast in a strait line at this point the shelby will most likly have the bang for the buck unless you want an auto then it would be expensive to add. Camaro guys will make it sound competive but it is not without mods it gets blown away.

now say I like the corners a bit and want a better suspention package(which I do in the ford world that makes me gay or something but it does not change the fact like a good handling car)

GT500 w/PP 58,450
ZL1 56,295 after GG

here you paid some money to up the handling now the shelby costs more if you spent the same money on the ZL1 it will lap faster. 2k would have cai, tune, heat exchanger.

GT500 w/PP and TP 61,450
ZL1 56,296 after GG

now you have a car you can lap at track days a bit more comfortably but you just spend 5k more. at this point you could have a ZL1 that outpowerd the shelby if you chose so and wrenched on the car yourself. 5k buys heads, cam, heat echanger, pulleys, tune cai etc almost any combination of mods you wanted really. ford does not even hint the waranty will apply at the track on the streat though the GT500 would still have waranty and your ZL1 would not.

So me as a car enthusiest not a brand enthusiest and liking more than just drag racing there is no magic bang for the buck on these cars. they are very equal per $$ spent if you want the track oriented mods.

as much as people want to play around I feel $$ for $$ they both are righ there so I defaulted to the car I like the looks of bette which is totaly subjective and could go either way.

now if I liked the look of the shelby better I would have went that way and instead of playing with power you would most likly spend some money refining the supension and setup a bit as power mods per $$ would not give you the same return.

now a brand biased person just comes to the other camps website and makes up a bunch of crap but since cars cost $$$ I used it as the basis form my decision not bias. I still feel these cars are awesome enought that if you liked the looks of one over the other just buy that one.
So in your argument, you can buy aftermarket parts for the ZL1 when buying packages for the Shelby from the factory. Why not just spend 3k on aftermarket parts for the Shelby then too and run a true coil over set up. You're only 1,400 over the price of a ZL1, you will have an incredible track set up, and still have 600whp with forged internals. All the "I can buy X with X money and add it to this car" arguments are flawed. People will buy what they like. Whether the Shelby has the Performance Package or not, I can bet my one year's salary that 90% of the owners won't even be able to exploit the base car to it's full potential. Same goes for the ZL1.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #692
mlee
Charter Circle Member

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
So in your argument, you can buy aftermarket parts for the ZL1 when buying packages for the Shelby from the factory. Why not just spend 3k on aftermarket parts for the Shelby then too and run a true coil over set up. You're only 1,400 over the price of a ZL1, you will have an incredible track set up, and still have 600whp with forged internals. All the "I can buy X with X money and add it to this car" arguments are flawed. People will buy what they like. Whether the Shelby has the Performance Package or not, I can bet my one year's salary that 90% of the owners won't even be able to exploit the base car to it's full potential. Same goes for the ZL1.
I believe he covered that angle too...

As for me and I've said it before... I'll take the suspension platform and do engine mods all day long over the reverse... that and looks is what my decision was based on

Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #693
IOMZL1

Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Hognutz - very well said and unbiased.

Anyone arguing with his rationale for spending his money is just being argumentative.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand...

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html

https://www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #694
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Seriously?? How much power would a ZL1 make with 13psi and no other mod?? Im doubting over 600rwhp. In that case it still wouldnt beat a GT500.

But wait. Lets take the weight out of the Shelby and up the boost and we're right back where ae started. Its a never ending cycle.
My point was if the two things most often mentioned were equalled. Not looking for an HP or weight advantage.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #695
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
I respect most of your post, but in this case you need to educate yourself.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #696
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I think it's about looks and value at the end of the day. Eye & mind of the beholder. In other words two sides that will never convince one another.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #697
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
so we'll hit the 1000 post soon... i say the guy who buys the shelby or zl1 well congrats! full power machine that the majority doesn't have..i really don't give a s*** about quarter mile times between these too it's so close we /you can talk about this until oblivion
.. it's the pleasure of driving it, listening to the exhaust, washing it caressing the fenders letting the soap go everywhere giving her a good bath a good wax looking at your z all shiny, enjoying it, passing cars on the freeway, having some power--more than some-- on the go pedal. taking 3 cars at the same time on a 2 way road, showing them you or your zl1 have the big power under the hood...you dominate the road move over the z is coming! hey passion man . we all live for it. adrenaline rush.LS- power it's what is all about. burning gas &having fun laughing in your car when you're alone because you like it power is there under the hood we all love it.
if it would be a porshe forum and speaking about porsche vs bmw... so boring ..
29er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500