Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #1001
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I suspect strongly, that no amount of data gathered by ANYBODY under ANY conditions ANYWHERE in the world would EVER be enough to satisfy everybody.

As we all know any data can be intrepreted in a varity of ways to support either side with no definitive result.

Just ask the politicians.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #1002
evolve

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I suspect strongly, that no amount of data gathered by ANYBODY under ANY conditions ANYWHERE in the world would EVER be enough to satisfy everybody.

As we all know any data can be intrepreted in a varity of ways to support either side with no definitive result.

Just ask the politicians.
I believe you may be absolutely correct.
xxx rwhp on e85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
May not feel the difference, but you can watch the other guy go by you! Football is a game of inches, muscle cars are a game of seconds...
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #1003
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
As mentioned in other threads....you can turn that around to something like this...."the fact that a GT500 could run slightly faster times on this particular track with the archaic SRA, much less sophisticated suspension, and a poor F/R weight distribution is amazing...."

And please...not knocking either car...they both have their goods and bads.
Ford has done amazing things with an SRA in recent years...especially since they now have Camaro competition. On a smooth track, I doubt there's very little advantage to an IRS, but on undulating bumpy road surfaces, look out! I don't disagree with what you said.

Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...html?r=1"]2010
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #1004
tnspd

Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
Well the Mustang fans missed it. We had 5 ZL1's at Camaros for Heroes and ran them down the track. I invited the local Mustang club but not one Mustang showed up. Oh I take that back. A speed shop brought their Mustang and it won the Highest HP trophy. 780 RWHP. But it had an LS3 in it! LOL.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #1005
101fng

Drives: 2009 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Well the Mustang fans missed it. We had 5 ZL1's at Camaros for Heroes and ran them down the track. I invited the local Mustang club but not one Mustang showed up. Oh I take that back. A speed shop brought their Mustang and it won the Highest HP trophy. 780 RWHP. But it had an LS3 in it! LOL.
cool?
101fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #1006
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Now that was funny...
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #1007
evolve

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Another test, this time C&D:

Basic Stats

500:ZL1
1/4 - 11.8@125:12.3@118
Top speed - 189:181
70-0 - 155ft:151ft
Skid - 1.0:.99

Grattan Raceway 2.2mi
Both 1:30.2

The ZL1 was declared the winner btw.
xxx rwhp on e85

Quote:
May not feel the difference, but you can watch the other guy go by you! Football is a game of inches, muscle cars are a game of seconds...
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #1008
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
They must be biased too!
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #1009
Van@RevanRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: GM and Ford
Bueller..........

Bueller............

Bueller...........

Bueller............

And some are going to look at the above and not know what I'm talking about. LOL

Bueller............
Van@RevanRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #1010
Fenderaddict2

Drives: '12 Boss, '65 Mustang FB, '64 Strat
If I was reviewing the cars I'd pick the ZL1 a the winner too. Itsimply isthebetter choice for most, but I'd probably still pick the GT500 for myself.

What's next?
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #1011
Aaron Grabowski
45TH 2SS VERT --> WINNING

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS Vert.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #1012
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Can't any of you just be happy with what the cars are instead of making BS excuses all day long? Here are the facts:

-GT500 is way faster in a straight line
-ZL1 has more grip and better refined handling
-On a given track, it's going to be a toss up based on track configuration and driver comfort
-The ZL1 is the daily-driver-friendly, smooth riding, refined performance car
-The GT500 is the pavement eating, fire-breathing, "oh shit" handle performance car

What we have here is a GT-R and a Z06 comparison in new duds. Pick which one you like more, they will both perform way beyond most of their competition and shine in different aspects.

They're both great.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #1013
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
If I was reviewing the cars I'd pick the ZL1 a the winner too. Itsimply isthebetter choice for most, but I'd probably still pick the GT500 for myself.

Looks like I'm gonna wait to see how that new IRS performs under the GT500 before I make my decision. It would be nice if it sixty footed and was as strong as the current rear but with improved handling and performance. Maybe an electronic diff to really bring it into the 21s century. I could give a rats behind as far as ride quality goes.....I'm young and drive a diesel truck everyday so I'm not afraid of a firm ride when it comes to a $55k super muscle car I just want it to perform.

Last edited by Truck Norris; 06-26-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #1014
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Aaaand why the face palm?
Tell me this isn't all pretty much a waste of time.
This thread is useless. Once again its mostly bench racing, hazy facts, people complaining about their car losing if they don't like the driver or the writer. The following is not directed at you fenderaddict, just a general feeling about this thread. I will comment this last time then leave it alone for those who like to argue back and forth relentlessly forever about things they don't know.

Somebody who lists their car as a "boob" thinks he can tell me a thing or two, and some other cracker who, (surprise) owns a Rustang who gives "mr boobs" an applause smilie for his awesome opinion on the subject.

Like I said, Who cares? drive your car, race your car, report your own verified results, and thats it. That would be interesting, and actually mean something. All the stuffed chest crap talk sucks beans, and is not just a little bit juvenile.

What magazines post, and tube videos show can never be considered real results because everyone has an excuse why it ain't right.

When you own one of these cars, take it to the track and race and figure it out for yourself.

I realize most people on here are like 17-20, but I thought there was a little more experience floating around here..guess not.

There are plenty of Ford sites for the teenies to post their theories on why their coveted GT500 (that they don't own) is not getting better ratings than the ZL1 (that they also don't own).

Don't talk down to me and suggest I am garaging and waxing. You don't know me. You don't know how I use my car. buy one and figure it out for yourself.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #1015
mdmoore23

Drives: 2008 Z06
The bias continues in the new issue of Car and Driver. GT500 beats ZL1 and they declare the ZL1 the winner. Is the government influencing these magazines? The Shelby wins just about every performance category except braking distance and they say the lap time at Grattan was the same. Really?!! The comparisons to date have been absolute garbage. Everyone seems to be rooting against the Shelby and printing total idiotic reviews because their favorite doesn't win.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #1016
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
The bias continues in the new issue of Car and Driver. GT500 beats ZL1 and they declare the ZL1 the winner. Is the government influencing these magazines? The Shelby wins just about every performance category except braking distance and they say the lap time at Grattan was the same. Really?!! The comparisons to date have been absolute garbage. Everyone seems to be rooting against the Shelby and printing total idiotic reviews because their favorite doesn't win.
Do you actually read magazine reviews very often?

are goverment must subsidize porsche, BMW, and ferrari as well. I can't coun't the number of times they were destroyed by perfromance specs and still delcalred the winner.

bottom line the ZL1 is easier to drive and nicer to drive so the reviewer picked it. the same way they love the M3, 911, 458. none of those car usually perfrom the best in the tests they win.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #1017
Fenderaddict2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post

Simple really. The GT500 is the pinnacle of the current muscle/pony car. The ZL1 is ground zero for the next generation of world class pony cars. I, for one, expect great things with model year 2015.

What's next?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #1018
Fenderaddict2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
agreed, i remember when car and driver picked their 10 favorite track cars. the z06 finished fifth even though it destroyed all the other cars on the track. the car they picked 3rd is what really irritated me. they picked the mazda miata third. it was by far the slowest car.
It is slow, but well balanced, nimble, rewards a driver's five senses, is cheap to own, easy to mod, and has high resale. I've owned many, just not a fan of the bloated high-beltline look of the current model.

What's next?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #1019
Fenderaddict2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Aaaand why the face palm?
Tell me this isn't all pretty much a waste of time.
This thread is useless. Once again its mostly bench racing, hazy facts, people complaining about their car losing if they don't like the driver or the writer. The following is not directed at you fenderaddict, just a general feeling about this thread. I will comment this last time then leave it alone for those who like to argue back and forth relentlessly forever about things they don't know.

Somebody who lists their car as a "boob" thinks he can tell me a thing or two, and some other cracker who, (surprise) owns a Rustang who gives "mr boobs" an applause smilie for his awesome opinion on the subject.

Like I said, Who cares? drive your car, race your car, report your own verified results, and thats it. That would be interesting, and actually mean something. All the stuffed chest crap talk sucks beans, and is not just a little bit juvenile.

What magazines post, and tube videos show can never be considered real results because everyone has an excuse why it ain't right.

When you own one of these cars, take it to the track and race and figure it out for yourself.

I realize most people on here are like 17-20, but I thought there was a little more experience floating around here..guess not.

There are plenty of Ford sites for the teenies to post their theories on why their coveted GT500 (that they don't own) is not getting better ratings than the ZL1 (that they also don't own).

Don't talk down to me and suggest I am garaging and waxing. You don't know me. You don't know how I use my car. buy one and figure it out for yourself.

I can understand your frustration, but bench racing was invented over a Ford vs. Chevy conversation years before either of us were born. Some of us enjoy the back and forth, other may find it repetitive and boring. Most of us are smart enough to know there is no definitive winner, and that we will pick the car that we want no matter what the reviews say. Doesn't mean we don't enjoy some juvenile past-times, after all we all like (according to my 84 year old Mom) juvenile cars.

What's next?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #1020
IOMZL1

Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Quote:
Simple really. The GT500 is the pinnacle of the current muscle/pony car. The ZL1 is ground zero for the next generation of world class pony cars. I, for one, expect great things with model year 2015.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand...

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #1021
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Another thing not discussed is the age of the magazine reviewer. Some members have stated that all-around balance becomes more important as you age. Most likely, the magazine reviewers are older. I betcha if we had a crop of 20-something reviewers, who, like Truck Norris (good point above!), don't care about ride, the GT500 would come out on top more often.

When we take a review as gospel, then take it personally, then post our complaints on this forum, it does indeed get dull. When we recognize that more variables go into decision making than are discussed here or in magazines, we can all relax a little and enjoy the ride. (Pun intended!)
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #1022
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Van, sent you a PM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
But then if they aren't stock, what is even the point? What is the cap on modifications?
In my opinion, HP is not everything in this comparison. HP truly is secondary when it comes to road racing. A lot of HP can make a bad driver look good (at least in the straights) but the V-box data and total laptime will be the interesting part in this. Van clearly knows how to drive, 2.29 at Sebring is rocking on street tires!

More HP also means higher speed in the straights will also means harder braking, not always a good thing depending on a cars set-up.

Already off the bat the cars are quite different, stock for stock there is about a 200lb difference and 80-100hp. But then the Camaro has a great suspension, wider tires, a little more brake etc. There will ALWAYS be someone with more power mods, more suspension mods, more lap times at that specific track. This is about what two "decent" drivers can do with their own cars in the real world.

Turns out I will be running some mods this weekend due to some testing we have to do, I sent a PM to Van to let him know what I will be running so I'll see what he says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That was a smart move on your part...

I have been thinking although what you guys are doing won't settle which car is actually better, it will be a real world test to what owners will be faced with when competeing against each other. I hope everything goes well and you both are safe.
True, what says that a car is better than another? Is it a laptime? A 1/4 mile time? How many years warranty it has? Not that warranty reall is something we are worrying about haha... Anyways, a lot comes down to personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
GoPro footage in this right guys?
You bet, Go Pro and V-Box!
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #1023
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Wow ..... the Shelby beat the ZL1 at Willow and Laguna :(
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #1024
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It seems pretty clear that people just want to argue back and forth.

It doesn't seem to matter WHO does the testing under WHAT conditions or WHERE or WHEN they are done.

People always seem to be able to find some fault with the testing if the testing doesn't declare their favorite car the winner.

Now they're even questioning the age of the reviewers.?

Because one source only reported a single lap time for each, some believe that they must have only run a single lap in each? Please...

Some people prefer the GM, some the Ford, and no matter what gets reported by whom or in what publication, they opinions will never change.

If the results don't support thier favorite car, then the testing must be bias, faulty, or some kind of conspiracy by someone.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #1025
Topher3134

Drives: delete me
Quote:
Wow ..... the Shelby beat the ZL1 at Willow and Laguna :(

Laguna wouldn't suprise me but streets of willow does.
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500