Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #575
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by HpJunkie69 View Post
Lmao!! Amazing how u think u know someone that hasnt even been posting here long. That is the most absurd thing ive ever heard and makes no sense at all. You obviously dont know me.
You call the reviewers of the Inside Line liars without a shred of proof. You say they are biased, but again, you offer no proof. It sounds like to me you simply don't like their conclusion.

Quote:
I would never say they were meaningless. They are exactly what they are. It means the ZL1 can go faster in a very small circle in a parking lot. While this doesnt generally mean its a better handling more stable car it isnt the end all be all test. It doesnt insure a victory at a legitimate race track. If the GT500 weighed the same and made the same power then yes id say it would indicate a victory, but we all know thats very FAR from the case.
You say it's not meaningless, but then in the same breath you say it indicates you can do circles efficiently in a parking lot. You kinda contradicted yourself there.

A skidpad can indicate how well a car can corner. It doesn't tell you everything but it can be used as an indicator. Cars that have high skidpad numbers tend to be able to take corners faster in a road race. And guess what? There are usually a lot more corners than straights on most road courses.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #576
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTGOD View Post
^^^X10000000

One has a solid and one has independent.

Stock for stock. ZL1 handles better than Gt500 on a road course and Gt500 a little better on the drag strip.

But seriously, lots of people that race these cars are not going to do it on stock setups.
Yes, anyone that cares enough about racing in any form will not leave it stock...unless they race in a stock class. Most will modify them.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #577
mlee

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes, anyone that cares enough about racing in any form will not leave it stock...unless they race in a stock class. Most will modify them.
Stock class... they still have those?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #578
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That's fair but they came out as saying this is the then and now ultimate Camaro. It's hard to call the 1969 ZL1 the ultimate when so few were actually built. It wasn't even a factory option. You had to special order it. I had never heard of a ZL1 Camaro until the 5th gen was announced.
There was never a Camaro with a ZL1 trim level designation available until 2012.

In 1969 the ZL1 was, in fact, a factory Regular Production Option (RPO) designation of an engine which had been developed for use in Can-Am racing. In 1969, ZL1 was not a trim level designation of a Camaro or any other vehicle. The factory 9560 Central Office Production Order (COPO) Camaro was the Camaro in which the ZL1 Cam-Am racing engine was placed, of which 69 units were built in 1969, and two 1969 Corvettes with the ZL1 engine option were built for customers. The 1969 9560 COPO Camaro, since it was a big block car, used the L78 (SS396) configuration as its base platform.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #579
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
There was never a Camaro with a ZL1 trim level designation available until 2012.

In 1969 the ZL1 was, in fact, a factory Regular Production Option (RPO) designation of an engine which had been developed for use in Can-Am racing. In 1969, ZL1 was not a trim level designation of a Camaro or any other vehicle. The factory 9560 Central Office Production Order (COPO) Camaro was the Camaro in which the ZL1 Cam-Am racing engine was placed, of which 69 units were built in 1969, and two 1969 Corvettes with the ZL1 engine option were built for customers. The 1969 9560 COPO Camaro, since it was a big block car, used the L78 (SS396) configuration as its base platform.
I understand that. I wasn't sure of how it was exactly done. Wasn't something similar done for the Yenko cars?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #580
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
I understand that. I wasn't sure of how it was exactly done. Wasn't something similar done for the Yenko cars?
The 1967 and 1968 Yenkos came from the factory with L78 engines and Yenko swapped out L78s with L72s. In 1969 the 9561 COPOs came from the factory with L72 engines, so Yenko didn't have perform the engine swap in 1969.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #581
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
The 1967 and 1968 Yenkos came from the factory with L78 engines and Yenko swapped out L78s with L72s. In 1969 the 9561 COPOs came from the factory with L72 engines, so Yenko didn't have perform the engine swap in 1969.
Oh ok.

I still think the Z28 would be considered the ultimate Camaro for many people.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #582
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Did you see the dyno test video? Mustang GT500 100 more hp/tq. I'd bet future models will have something special in store for suspension handling that will eliminate the ZL1 as a competitor. Just my .02 cents.

Quote:
Oh ok.

I still think the Z28 would be considered the ultimate Camaro for many people.
I agree. Regardless of history. They may have to do a Z28 as a response to the GT500. At some point that 650hp. is going to be 680hp., and with I'm sure a plan for better suspension the Camaro SS/ZL1's, keep getting beat by Ford before they even hit the road.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #583
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by HpJunkie69 View Post
What if i told you i had a 8 second car that idles like stock and gets 25mpg. Hell of a CLAIM right? Now what if i worked for a company thats job is to test,video,document, and present it to the public but yet i gave NONE of this on the CLAIM. Get it? Geez
You've still offered up nothing but paranoid accusations.

If ford tried to sue Inside Line for libel, ford would loose. In libel cases the truth is an absolute defense.

You, on the other hand, have accused Inside Line of lying. If you call someone a liar and it's not true, and if it effects their business negatively, they can sue the daylights out of you.

Inside Line is probably not going to sue you. For one thing they are a media outlet and they can offer up plenty of proof to make you look like a fool if they needed to.

Quote:
For the 2nd part. Wth are you talking about?! U just repeated what i said. The camaro is the better handling of the two, but that doesnt mean it will beat it at the track.
Yes, I did repeat part of it back because I literally laughed out loud when I read it. You said skidpad means a car can go fast in a circle in a parking lot.

Quote:
A shifter cart can make tighter turns than a stock car but i can promise you it wont beat it a laguna seca. Power plays a big role.
Of course, but we're talking about cars with 500 vs. 600 rwhp. Not shifter carts vs. stock cars.

I'm not sure how much time the gt500 will loose in the corners, but if it's more than 1-2 seconds per lap, then I don't see how it will gain it back on the straights. And given that most tracks have many corners, it's pretty easy to loose 1-2 seconds if your car does not handle as good.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #584
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
The technology, however, is not new. You're picking nits.
Nothing on the two cars is "new". Nit fully picked.

Did you used to drive a Lightning?
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #585
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Hum, let's see the car with the solid rear axle is the better drag car and the car with the 4 wheel independent suspension is a better track car. So obviously the bulk of the money spent on the drag car went into the engine and the bulk of the money spent on the track car went into a magnetic magical suspension. So far it makes sense. Oh what, some of the customers may want to try another venue so a nod to handling from the drag car and a nod to overcoming weight on launch from the road car. Yep still making sense. So what's the argument here again? Looks? As much as I think the Camaro has it all over the regular Mustang in looks, there's no denying the Shelby looks badass with the wide open grill, so it's all down to personal preference. In spite of what the reviews have said or will say I'm still calling it a tie. If I had to pick one? Shelby. Sorry, but at the end of the day a more legendary car. And for me, simply more insane. There are lots of great cars in my snack bracket but very few if any insane ones without a lottery win. And just like a crazy woman I think the Shelby would just leave a bigger grin etched into my face.

Go ahead, call me a fan boy. 2 of my 30+ cars have been Mustangs, both bought in the last 4 years so I guess to some that qualifies me.
The name Shelby legendary. The GT500 not so much. The GT350 legendary. The ZL1 legendary.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #586
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
And you know what? Even if they showed footage of the zl1 pulling away from the gt500 in the twisties, the first thing you would say is, "That's not real. They did that in California, so its a studio production. It's impossible for a ZL1 to do that."

But the do have some qualitative proof. The slalom and skip pad indicate something. If you're going to sit there and say they are meaningless then you simply don't know what your talking about.

The numbers, equipment, and reviews indicate that the zl1 handles extremely well (for a muscle car). And knocking Inside Line is kinda pointless. There are plenty of other reviews that talk about the ZL1's handling. It's not just Inside Line that says this.
You're wasting your time.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #587
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Carbine View Post
From what I have gathered this video proves Jack Squat. I think when they get them on the same track on the same day with the same of equal drives, heat soak is going to raise it's ugly head and the ZL1 will drop 100 HP to a car it wsa down 100 HP both stone cold. Any road course of any size with long straigth aways the GT500 will walk it.
Fan Boy defined!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #588
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
This is the gift that keeps on giving.
I laughed out loud on that!!!

Tags